Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RC5 Challenge. We need your mac muscle. :)

RC5 Challenge. We need your mac muscle. :)
Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2003, 03:35 PM

Hi fellow Macheads

This is a quick post to let you know that team ---xlr8yourmac.com--- needs more members
to continue our move on the top 4 teams in the RC5 challenge and to hold off the Polish
team which is now starting to make thier move on us.

Here is a link to our Current Standings

If you would like to Join and show the windows and linux teams what macs can do
please join our team.

Here's how!

Download the Mac Client

Now you can either choose to run the client manually, or set it to run automatically
when your computer powers on.

To run the client manually: Either drag the "dnetc" icon into a terminal window and
hit enter, or navigate to this file from the terminal and type ./dnetc . You will see
the client start and key-rate will be displayed on the screen in the terminal window.

If you want the client to run automatically on startup all you have to do is navigate
to the dnetc app in the terminal (if you put the dnetc folder on your desktop type
cd desktop/dnet ). Once there type ./dnetc -install .

Then log-off and back on. If you run top (open a terminal and type top) you can see
dnetc taking up the extra unused CPU cycles. I prefer the auto executing RC5 as I don't forget
to start it up after a restart that way.

You can also install the client to run on user login (only one user) using mc68k's Auto Installer

To keep track of your individual stats all you have to do is open the "dnetc.ini" file in text edit
and change the ID to your email address. After 24 hrs of crunching when you go to the
RC5 Stats page and search for your email address under individual stats you will have a stats page.

When this shows up just click the "email me my password" button. Once you get your password you
can edit your account and more importantly you can go back to the xlr8yourmac team page button
and click I WANT TO JOIN THIS TEAM button. Once you have joined the team with your individual stats
email address you will be able to track your contribution along with that of your fellow teammates.

Lets show those german, french, Russia, Dutch and Polish PC/windows teams what our macs can do.
A 500Mhz G4 cranks out as much units a day as a 3GHz P4 and the G5's WOW they crank
out units even faster

Thanks

Groovy

+++

trublue
Oct 18, 2003, 05:35 PM

Why don't you give these guys a call?

They might be able to help!

Groovy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by trublue:
Why don't you give these guys a call?

They might be able to help!

LOL I bet they could

off/lang
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 07:28 PM

It should be pointed out that Macnn has it's own RC5 team, which could use more crunching help.

Also, I find it in poor taste that you would come to this board to scalp crunchers.
dearinter.net consensus life coaching.

Groovy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by off/lang:
It should be pointed out that Macnn has it's own RC5 team, which could use more crunching help.

Also, I find it in poor taste that you would come to this board to scalp crunchers.

anyone is free to go anywhere that mac users hang out that are not on any team. And 99%
of the users here are NOT on the macnn team and this is a public board and Powermac forum
and power macs are what we need.

second this is about MAC VS PC not MAC VS MAC. Did you even READ my post?

here you must of missed this part:

"Lets show those german, french, Russia, Dutch and Polish PC/windows teams what our
macs can do"

macnn public forum is the perfect place to get mac users that can join the macnn team or
our team or any mac team. If I have learned one thing about mac users is that they have
FREE WILL and use it and one reason they are not lemmings and own PC's. it is a shame
you seem to think mac users here have no free will and that a single post talking about RC5
is such a bad thing.

i wish you would lighten up and spend more energy getting mac users to to join ANY mac
team than attack me for wanting to make macs do well against the PC/windows.

All mac users that read my first post i will be just as happy if you join the macnn team.

thanks,

Groovy

+++

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2003, 10:11 PM

Feel free to recruit on your own boards.
Not here.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules