Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Memory Upgrade

Memory Upgrade
CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 2, 2003, 12:18 PM

This is a question gear towards the guys that bought the iBook w/ stock 256 then upgraded later.

For you guys that did that, when you upgraded from the 256, did you notice any speed differences in response time when opening programs?

I'm asking because I'm thinking about maxing out the memory and I just want to get a feel on difference when adding, because right at stock it seems pretty quick.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 12:43 PM

hell yes i did, big improvement. i put panther and ram in my comp on sucessive days, so maybe that factors in. best $150 (educational discount) i ever spent. i did this on a 700mhz g3 ibook. long story short, this is a worthwhile upgrade. the only question you should have is what to do with the extra 128mb of ram...

CeRtiFiedSkitZo  (op)
Dec 2, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
hell yes i did, big improvement. i put panther and ram in my comp on sucessive days, so maybe that factors in. best $150 (educational discount) i ever spent. i did this on a 700mhz g3 ibook. long story short, this is a worthwhile upgrade. the only question you should have is what to do with the extra 128mb of ram...
Thanks for the quick response, now which company offers the best when it comes to memory upgrades, I was deciding between Kingston and Crucial?

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2003, 02:03 PM

I always buy my memory from Crucial. Never had a problem with them and am very satisfied. As for performance comparisons, I can't really say because I swapped the RAM before I first booted it up.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

curtlivingston
Dec 3, 2003, 01:57 PM

i just upgraded from the stock 256 to 640.
wonderful performance upgrade. i can launch and (more importantly) quit apps in two seconds rather than the 15+ it took before. the stock ram is only really enough to run the os and maybe one or two simple apps.
that said, if it's plenty fast for how you use it, why bother upgrading?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 11:58 PM

add a 512 from crucial, absolutely. I entered bbusergroup as a promocode (got it of the powermac forum) and got 5% off of the order.

640 makes a big diff over 256. Running panther and iMovie and anything else was a bit dicey on 256. Apps launch quicker, respond quicker, etc.

Install was cake... about 3 minutes!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

CeRtiFiedSkitZo  (op)
Dec 4, 2003, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by curtlivingston:
i just upgraded from the stock 256 to 640.
wonderful performance upgrade. i can launch and (more importantly) quit apps in two seconds rather than the 15+ it took before. the stock ram is only really enough to run the os and maybe one or two simple apps.
that said, if it's plenty fast for how you use it, why bother upgrading?
As I start to move on from PC to Mac, I'll be doing more of my work on the Mac. I was just trying to see if anyone noticed any differences when comes to speed and responsivness. I just want to make sure my system is able to handle the load and also I was always told that maxing out the memory for this system is a must.

macrick1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 07:04 PM

It absolutely made a difference. I just got my iBook g4 1 Ghz yesterday and ordered it with the stock 256 mb RAM. I powered it up, set up internet connectivity and registered my computer with Apple. I just felt during the entire time that the system was sluggish. I have a 1 Ghz iMac as well so I can somewhat make a speed comparison (though fairly subjectively).

I then powered the laptop down, installed the 1 gig RAM I purchased from Transintl made specifically for the new iBooks. When I powered it up, it really became discernably faster...from power up, opening/closing windows, web surfing, not to mention running apps like Photoshop. While I trust TransIntl's well-deserved reputation, I decided to run the Apple G4 iBook hardware test CD that came with the laptop. I ran the "extensive test" option and while it took a while for the memory test to complete, the 1 gig ram passed Apple's test with flying colors :-)

I absolutely recommend upgrading your RAM. I've also used Crucial for memory upgrades and I'd recommend them as well. Hope this helps!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules