Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Digital Camera Repairs

Digital Camera Repairs
G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 11:11 AM

Okay so two nights ago my Canon Power Shot S330 took a header while on and landed on the lens, and it got fuct, the lens is out and when i turn it on i get and error and it just shuts off. I called canon support and they want me to ship it out but they can't really give me a price, until i ship it. I wouldn't really want to spend more then 100 bucks but my guess it might be more then that for the lens mechanism. If I knew it would cost me a bunch i would love to save the shipping and see if i can get one off ebay, they are going for 150-250.

So what has your experience on repairs of digital cameras, if i ship it out you think they are going to try and bend me over?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

brachiator
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 12:50 AM

I've never taken my digi-cam in for repairs, but why don't you call or drop by a local pro camera shop? Not a mall shop, but preferably a shop that does higher end stuff for the local pro photog population. They'd probably give you an estimate or some advice with a minimum of BS.

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 11:20 AM

yeah i am thinking of asking around, and if it looks like i have to ship it out, there goes my tax return

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 08:53 PM

no dice, they all say ship it out to canon, and they want 150 just to look at it.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 12:41 AM

My story:

Olympus Camedia 550 with a 10x optical zoom.

bought it new. took it out on a trip and promptly dropped it off the side of a cliff (it rolled out of my pocket..I didn't have the strap on).

It dropped 50 feet off the cliff onto some gravel railroad tracks but only the battery cover broke. It worked one time after that, but then the zoom would not work so I took it to Phototech in NYC. http://www.phototech.com

15 bucks to look at it for an estimate. was about 220 bucks to repair. (the camera was around 500).

But I know they just shipped it off to Olympus for repairs.

Anyhow..it works fine now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules