Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > O'Neill: Red Meat caused distorted 'Frenzy'

O'Neill: Red Meat caused distorted 'Frenzy'
pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 03:16 AM

"I didn't say sheeit."
Rouge excerpts released from book have been traced to Canada.

Hold on folks, this story might have (vestigial) legs.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by pooka:

"I didn't say sheeit."
Rouge excerpts released from book have been traced to Canada.

Hold on folks, this story might have (vestigial) legs.
I just find the addition of the gun in the photo classy.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2004, 09:17 AM

I think one lesson that comes out of this is don't appoint CEOs without political experience to cabinet office. They are hopelessly naive.

I mean how could he have spouted off to a book writer about a contentious a topic as Iraq the year before a presidential election and not realize he'd be misquoted and distorted. What an infant!

Lerkfish
Jan 14, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
I think one lesson that comes out of this is don't appoint CEOs without political experience to cabinet office. They are hopelessly naive.

I mean how could he have spouted off to a book writer about a contentious a topic as Iraq the year before a presidential election and not realize he'd be misquoted and distorted. What an infant!
or that he would be immediately investigated by the government 24 hours later and pressured to retract under threat of charges of treason....

yeah, naive.

gadster
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:

Heaven forbid there could be an honest politician at large. Have you nothing to say about the substance of the observations? Would you have waited until AFTER the election until you spilled the beans.

And btw "about a contentious a topic as Iraq" is crap English. And it's realise, not realize. I have a spare 's' if you want it. And I'll swap you a 'don't' for a 'not to', also, if you want. You Pelican.
e-gads

Lerkfish
Jan 14, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by gadster:
And it's realise, not realize. I have a spare 's' if you want it. And I'll swap you a 'don't' for a 'not to', also, if you want. You Pelican.
not to defend Simey, but "realize" is the accepted american spelling, "realise" is the british spelling. Both are acceptable on an international forum.

other than that, continue.

gadster
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 10:21 AM

Yeah but a 'Limey' ought to know better.
e-gads

Lerkfish
Jan 14, 2004, 10:29 AM

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2004, 10:45 AM

You have no idea how hard it was for me to relearn spelling. It really screwed me up. Anyway, since I live in the US, I'm going to continue to (try to) use American spellings. You will just have to suffer it as part of your penance for staying under the yoke of the Crown.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
or that he would be immediately investigated by the government 24 hours later and pressured to retract under threat of charges of treason....

yeah, naive.
You are right, the investigation should have taken longer after documents marked "SECRET" were shown on national television.

Either CBS or O'Neill should have been more careful. Or both.

It was kind of funny to watch how fast certain people made a former CEO (normally the height of EVIL) their hero, and how fast they try to separate themselves from him now that he's clarified his statements.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Lerkfish
Jan 14, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
You are right, the investigation should have taken longer after documents marked "SECRET" were shown on national television.

Either CBS or O'Neill should have been more careful. Or both.

It was kind of funny to watch how fast certain people made a former CEO (normally the height of EVIL) their hero, and how fast they try to separate themselves from him now that he's clarified his statements.
if that vitriol is aimed at me personally, you've targeting problems.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
if that vitriol is aimed at me personally, you've targeting problems.
It's actually aimed at left-leaning commentators on the television and other media (including the blogosphere.)
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules