Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Milking iTunes...

Milking iTunes...
Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 02:27 AM

Does anyone know if I can turn the background of iTunes white? I know that there are limitations, but are there any other graphics in the resource file I would have to worry about that make their own background? Also, I thought that the ID for iTunes' background is 1024. It doesnt seem this way as when I checked there were no image files in there. Thanks for the help.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 09:31 AM

h**p://demonicfrisbee.tripod.com/brushedbg.png

it's right there... PICT resource 1024... and it's not iTunes2.rsrc because it's from iTunes 2, it's because it's my back up of the original iTunes.rsrc.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 20, 2004, 09:59 AM

Holigen you might want to look at the resources from NEO skin for iTunes. He made his to match the theme, carbon black...

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 10:47 AM

It's easy to make itunes darker, but making PICT 1024 solid white makes itunes grey. I remember using a solid white itunes theme a while back but that was pre-itunes 4. I think the only way to get itunes white would have to be some kind of APE or, when possible, an Xtender mod.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 10:55 AM

this might not be quite what you want, but here is a site with a mod that makes metal apps white - perhaps you could some of the resources from that. i don't know much about itunes skinning though... might be useless.
( Last edited by u2zoo; Feb 20, 2004 at 11:03 AM. )

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2004, 11:17 AM

Be careful of Whiteout. I used it in the begining of Panther days and it hozed my system. I know the guy fixed it, but just a warning.
Besides it says nothing aboout fixing iTunes.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 01:05 PM

I *thought* I did, but after looking it again today I realized it does jack for itunes. still it might help in some way...

a bit OT: I not even using the neos theme, but the NeOS itunes skin is so refreshing... hopefully we have turned a corner for iTunes themes. Good to hear people asking about how to do this and that.

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 02:38 PM

Hey thanks for your suggestions guys. There are soooo many graphic files on the rsrc. Im gonna be doing a little research on it today as well. Ill post what I find

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 03:27 PM

Hmm, well I didnt find much. Oddly enough, there is a graphic called background, however its the background for the navigation bar for the Music Store. Needless to say, I looked through all of the graphic files in the iTunes resource and found nothing except that and 1024. It seems to me, that 1024 is actually an overlay for the gradient. The gradient may be hardcoded into iTunes. Theres an app that will turn 1024 white, its called iTunesBrushKiller. The only thing that this does, is, as Frisbee said, makes iTunes a grayish color with a gradient going down the middle horizontally in both ways. Im not sure how an APE would effect this gradient... Care to explain?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 20, 2004, 05:30 PM

Holigen.. Just a thougtht but you could try and email DSKY (NEOs maker) and see what he did.. Just a thought and here's the info:

Contact
Daisuke Yamashita
dsky at mac.com

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 05:38 PM

Well, actually in the NEOS skin, the gradient is still there. Its more difficult to see because the background is black, but if you look for it, its still there. I guess theres no hope in making iTunes white...

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 12:59 AM

Well, I took your advice and emailed DSKY, Dave-o. He wasnt able to remove the gradient either. He told me that he had originally wanted to make the skin darker but couldnt because he was unable to remove it. I guess a Milk iTunes skin really is impossible right now. Btw, Daisuke is a really nice guy

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2004, 10:32 AM

APEs/Xtender mods change the way a program works... would it be possible for them to tell iTunes to just take 1024 and tile it across the itunes window, and not use a gradient..?

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 02:06 PM

Well, see, I think that the gradient isnt at all controlled by the resource file. Its probably buried in some code somewhere. If APEs/Xtenders can modify the code that is that deep, then well, I guess its possible. The only problems with modifying the code like that is one, finding it and two, making sure youre not messing up anything else in the process

Forum Links
Forum Rules