Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why this error in iChat?...

Why this error in iChat?...
dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 01:23 PM

ichat Internal Error
NSInvalidArgumentException:
NSConcreteMutableAttributedString addAttribute:value:range:: nil value

What's happening? I can view my buddies and double-click them, but when the chat window is about to appear iChat kicks out this error. I have to click 'Continue' or the alternative is sending a bug report to Apple.
Anyone know of this?
Thanks!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 01:27 PM

Who would have thought that Aqua's likable user interface is built on concrete?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 05:29 PM

Ya, that was about my depth of knowledge on the subject also. I've rebooted, repaired permissions, etc. This is the first time any Apple app has remained in unworking condition from OS X... weird.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 05:47 PM

I found the answer to this problem on the apple iChat forums and thought I'd post to anybody that may be curious. I had removed 'Helvetica' out of my fonts folder and *bang* iChat stopped working. Also, my OS X Mail App stopped showing the little red circle in it's window when new mail arrived.
Hope this helps someone!

Apple iChat forums

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2004, 09:14 PM

I think your sig is too fat. 140x40

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 04:50 AM

Good to know.

I thought Helvetica, among other critical system fonts, was supposed to be tucked away safely in the /System/Library/Fonts/. If font management apps allow themselves to change these, that sounds like trouble.

I'm all for user customization, but there should a very noticeable warning when attemping to do this.

J

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
Good to know.

I thought Helvetica, among other critical system fonts, was supposed to be tucked away safely in the /System/Library/Fonts/. If font management apps allow themselves to change these, that sounds like trouble.

I'm all for user customization, but there should a very noticeable warning when attemping to do this.

J
I checked this out also. As an admin user, one can drag any fonts in and out of the /System/Library/Fonts folder. I was surprised because this type of activity should be restricted as mucking about in the /System folder can prove disastrous or at least bad, as in the problem described by the original poster.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2004, 10:42 PM

that is why I don't use an admin account for everyday use.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules