Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battle.net grief

Battle.net grief
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 11:57 AM

Ok, I have come here to let out some of my frustrations with playing W3 on Battle.net
I have been spending some time playing against my friends, which was fun ... so I/we tried to play against other people ... no that much fun.
The most recent defeat was humilating at best, but it left me wondering JUST HOW DO THEY DO IT?!?! The game lasted 12:XX minutes and I was attacked and anialated by a player that already had 3 heros (levels 7, 3, 3), a shitload of buildings, tech at 43, untimate units and a very large army. From my humble experience, even if you use elves/undead who build very fast, building up your hero, tech and an army of this size takes a little longer then that ... or I am just really bad at this game.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 12:02 PM

Did you save a replay of the game? You could watch to see how he did it.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 01:53 PM

Yeah, its amazing how fast some people do that stuff...

I have seen it in Starcraft, and would not be surprised to see it in WC3... I think they shave a lot of time off by knowing every keyboard command. to build and command the units and buildings.

-Owl

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 01:58 PM

I never saved a replay, because I didn't know that I could watch their actions by watching it ... only how I got my ass kicked

My concern is that it takes time to harvest gold, build and research ... the main limit is gold (especially with the undead). I know plenty of shortcuts myself, I rarely use my mouse when playing ... I still can freakin belive it.
My Blog & Photos

benb
Apr 15, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Ok, I have come here to let out some of my frustrations with playing W3 on Battle.net
I have been spending some time playing against my friends, which was fun ... so I/we tried to play against other people ... no that much fun.
The most recent defeat was humilating at best, but it left me wondering JUST HOW DO THEY DO IT?!?! The game lasted 12:XX minutes and I was attacked and anialated by a player that already had 3 heros (levels 7, 3, 3), a shitload of buildings, tech at 43, untimate units and a very large army. From my humble experience, even if you use elves/undead who build very fast, building up your hero, tech and an army of this size takes a little longer then that ... or I am just really bad at this game.
You must be playing Reign of Chaos then, because in Frozen Throne you cannot creep above level 5.

In ROC, you get a lot of gold and XP by creeping. So creep fast and hard.

In TFT, there is much more emphasis on player vs. player battles and creeping is not as important to your economy.

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 02:55 PM

Yes, I'm playing RoC. How do you creep for gold? I just do it for XP.

Is it possible to cheat on Battle.net? Some feats just defeat logic.

I probably should buy TFT.
My Blog & Photos

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 03:29 PM

I could never win on Battle.net. In Starcraft I get owned in like 3 minutes... Warcraft I can't even beat the bots, and in Diablo 2 everyone cheats.

redJag
Senior User
Apr 15, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Yes, I'm playing RoC. How do you creep for gold? I just do it for XP.

Is it possible to cheat on Battle.net? Some feats just defeat logic.

I probably should buy TFT.
As far as I know, the only cheats available are map hacks which wouldn't let you build any faster. Trust me, you're probably just not as good as you think Watching good players on replays is one of the best ways to learn.

Creeping for gold: automatically happens. You see the gold text that raises up after killing creeps? That's how much gold you get.
Travis Sanderson

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by redJag:
As far as I know, the only cheats available are map hacks which wouldn't let you build any faster. Trust me, you're probably just not as good as you think Watching good players on replays is one of the best ways to learn.

Creeping for gold: automatically happens. You see the gold text that raises up after killing creeps? That's how much gold you get.
I never though that I was good, but I didn't think that I'd be beat *that* easily by some teenager. I will try the replay trick the next time I play.
My Blog & Photos

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 04:59 PM

What really pissed me off was Battle.net's match with *players at your skill level*. Right, Ok! My record stands at 0 Wins X Losses (I suck and I know it) and it matches me with some kid with a *really* 31337 name, who pics Random as his/her race and whoops my ass in 10 minutes.
My Blog & Photos

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 05:53 PM

They all follow a script. "Build X peons, make all harvest lumber, build a house, build x peons, build a barracks, build ogre mound," etc.

Just look around online for the scripts.

Of course that DOES take all the fun out of the game, but these people are about winning, not fun.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 06:05 PM

lol, ogre mound. Someone played WC2.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Yes, I did. I played WC, WC2, and WC3 too, but for some reason the third one never made a lasting impression. In any case, people play all resource management games the same way. That applies to WC3, StarCraft, AOE II, AOM, C&C, and any others out there. People figure out the pattern that works, then it's just a race to see who can execute the pattern most efficiently.

Not so much fun.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Someone HAVE to port WC2 to OS X. I missed it too much

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 08:01 PM

Ok. I'm not AWESOME but I'm pretty decent, and play ladder BNET with some success.

What I would recommend is trying team games first, as solo games have a lot of smurfers, who create new accounts to try to get the most perfect score possible. No, it's not fair, but that's the problem of jumping into a game a year after it's been out. Or however long.

Here's tip #2. Creep. Those little neutral guys are super important to a solo game. Not only do they level up your hero, but they provide gold, items, and access to shops and mines. Mines are very important. I recommend getting an expansion as you tech to tier 2.

Tip #3: Strategic base building placement. Put burrows, or zigs, or towers behind other buildings. If you are undead, definitely build at least a frost tower next to your mine to slow down a hero harasser. With NightElf, especially if you're going mostly archers in the beginning of the game, a row of moonwells can help a lot. If the enemy attacks, town portal to the area between your line of wells and your tree of life, turn on the wells on autocast, and let your archers do their thing with near invincibility.

Tip #4: This is a quick one. Use keyboard control groups well. Select your main army, make it control group 1. (Control + 1 while selected). Make your unit buildings control gropu 2, and rally them to your hero. Now, while you're our creeping, you can hit 2, hit the unit build command, and switch back to your army. Your units will walk over as they are trained automatically. I usually have my town hall control group 3. Later, with a larger army, and more heroes, you may want to assign more control groups.

I'd say these are some basic tips that could immediately help improve your game. I started in team games, and I recommend you try those too. You'll be accused of being a newb, but not only will you have a better chance, but you will be able to see what your team mates are doing as you improve.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2004, 01:05 AM

Play 8 hours a day everyday for 6+ months. My roommate did that and got into the top 20 on US West. Creep creep creep, know what to build, know how to counter what. Battle.net serves two purposes. 1) Competative. 2) Get a "LAN" with those you can not LAN with. ie only friends, invite only.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Forum Links
Forum Rules