Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Bridging from Who-Knows what to Airport Extreme: Possible?

Bridging from Who-Knows what to Airport Extreme: Possible?
DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 11:38 PM

I have a neighbor leasing out his bandwidth, and I can barely get signal from a window. I'd like to have a wireless network within my house (separate from his) and was thinking of maybe an Airport Extreme basestation.

They have this feature where you can easily span a network, and was wondering if this feature only works with AE to AE or can you go from ?? to AE.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on a better way to set this up, I'm open.
I have a tower which I may put an aria extreme pci card into, and an iBook with a Airport Extreme card. Going all 802.11g would be preferable.

I can get signal from a bedroom not in the same room as the tower. I can also run ethernet from this room into the room with the computer, but this is not ideal. It may be worth it to me to put a base station in the bedroom, and relay (or whatever) and get a card for my tower.

I can also sometimes get a weak, flaky signal with my ibook at the window right by the computer, so this might be good to do some kind of usb adapter type thing, and an internet sharing off the PCI card in the tower.

I'm just looking for options and suggestions here. Thanks.

larkost
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 09:17 AM

The airport bridging is explicitly proprietary, it will not work with other devices. I would look into a mesh network setup.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

Unfortunately, wireless access point bridging varies from product to product, and Apple's products tend to be more proprietary than others. If you want to get his signal into your home, it may be possible using Dr. Bott's antennas (Omni-directional antenna, Direct antenna). This, however, won't give you two distinct networks as is your original plan.

It'd really be much better if you can hook both up using a standard ethernet cable, though. If it has to run outside, you can always get shielded twisted pair (STP). That'll at least guarantee consistent performance regardless of environmental factors.

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 10:21 AM

I think this may relate to my thread, but it's being largely ignored so I'll try again here.

I have a linksys wireless router connected to satellite internet. I need to get access to my cabin, which is around 200 or so feet away. Is there a way I can use the AE basestation and antenna to relay the linksys signal to my AlBook? I know the antenna in that won't be strong enough. Is there a way of attaching an antenna to the Albook airport card via PC card? Otherwise, will the AE/w antenna do the job?

Thanks!
jmelrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules