Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mouse not responding in one spot on screen

mouse not responding in one spot on screen
5by5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 10:25 AM

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but.....

recently my mouse no longer responds to clicks in one small spot of my screen. I noticed it when I upgraded iTunes and then tried to click on a playlist. I soon discovered that a block about 3"x1" in size no longer responds to mouse clicks in any app!

I've never seen anything like this before and don't even know where to try and start to solve it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Anthony

zachs
Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by 5by5:
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but.....

recently my mouse no longer responds to clicks in one small spot of my screen. I noticed it when I upgraded iTunes and then tried to click on a playlist. I soon discovered that a block about 3"x1" in size no longer responds to mouse clicks in any app!

I've never seen anything like this before and don't even know where to try and start to solve it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Anthony
Try restarting if you haven't already.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2004, 10:45 AM

I've just discussed this in another forum. The problem in that case turned out to be caused by Expose - after turning on (with one of 3rd party utilities) hidden options: minimize in place and/or Expose blob.

If this is the case, using a newly created account will not manifest the problem.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 30, 2004, 12:48 PM

The change to expose will cause this to happen, wherever that little box is will block mouse clicks. To fix it turn that off by doing:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-olddesktop -bool true

and then do a killall Dock and everything will be fine. You do this in the Terminal if you didn't know

5by5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 08:22 AM

I've never used the Terminal before. What do I type exactly to do this? I've read that you can mess things up using it so I want to be very careful.

Will this fix change other settings?

5by5

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by 5by5:
I've never used the Terminal before. What do I type exactly to do this? I've read that you can mess things up using it so I want to be very careful.

Will this fix change other settings?

5by5
You can mess things up using the Finder too. In the terminal, you have to be a little more careful because

sudo rm -fr / folder

will wind up erasing everything connected to your machine--just because of the typo of putting a space after /. In the finder, if you move the System directory, your machine won't boot any more.

The point of the warnings is to make you cautious--not necessarily to keep you out. Look over any command before you press enter.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

5by5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
The change to expose will cause this to happen, wherever that little box is will block mouse clicks. To fix it turn that off by doing:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-olddesktop -bool true

and then do a killall Dock and everything will be fine. You do this in the Terminal if you didn't know
I assume I type the "defaults write......." line and then hit Return?

What is a killall Dock?

5by5

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 07:42 AM

Yes, just type it exactly as shown (same case etc - copy/paste is best here) and press return.

Basically the second bit is telling you to quit the Dock using Terminal. If you aren't comfortable doing that a simple logout/login will achieve the same effect.

5by5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 09:31 AM

Thanks everyone!

5by5

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
You can mess things up using the Finder too. In the terminal, you have to be a little more careful because

blah blah blah . . .

will wind up erasing everything connected to your machine--just because of the typo of putting a space after /. In the finder, if you move the System directory, your machine won't boot any more.
It's almost as if you want him to try that command . . .

I love it when newbies ask for help in the terminal, and inevitably someone has to post like the above - "Whatever you do, do not type this!

Forum Links
Forum Rules