Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do I tell if a CD is copy-protected when I buy on the web?

How do I tell if a CD is copy-protected when I buy on the web?
memento
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 09:08 PM

I know that a copy protected CD can't have the "compact disc" logo printed on it, but if I buy from Amazon or somewhere like that, how can I tell? I refuse to buy these, but unfortunately did buy A Perfect Circle without knowing it was copy protected.

For example, the new release from Tea Party, "Seven Circles" is apparently copy protected. I stumbled on this fact on their messageboard before I bought it. Fortunately it was released in Canada before the US, otherwise I probably would have bought it right away. Now I'm not going to buy it at all, but how can I find out? Amazon lists it as an "audio CD" just like all the rest.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by memento:
I know that a copy protected CD can't have the "compact disc" logo printed on it, but if I buy from Amazon or somewhere like that, how can I tell? I refuse to buy these, but unfortunately did buy A Perfect Circle without knowing it was copy protected.

For example, the new release from Tea Party, "Seven Circles" is apparently copy protected. I stumbled on this fact on their messageboard before I bought it. Fortunately it was released in Canada before the US, otherwise I probably would have bought it right away. Now I'm not going to buy it at all, but how can I find out? Amazon lists it as an "audio CD" just like all the rest.
Maybe try e-mailing them?

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 09:18 PM

they probably wont respond because they would automatically suspect you want to burn it...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 09:23 PM

If they didn't tell on their web site that the CD does not comply to the CD audio standard you have every right to return it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by storer:
they probably wont respond because they would automatically suspect you want to burn it...
Burning it is not illegal. And what if you just want to put it on your iPod? Listen to it on your computer?

Innocent until proven guilty. If they are going to assume that you are guilty, then you shouldn't do business with them.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Burning it is not illegal. And what if you just want to put it on your iPod? Listen to it on your computer?
illegal here

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2004, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by memento:

If they actually list it as an "audio CD" - which it most decidedly isn't, neither technically nor legally - buy it and return it as defective.

It's the law in most places: A product was sold to you as something it is definitely not. That actually borders on fraud.

Only if enough people do this will they start to get the message.

-s*

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 07:21 AM

I suppose I could buy it then return it if it is, but ideally I want to know BEFORE I go through the hassle. I'm sure their return policy doesn't cover shipping, so that's a "fight" that I'll have to have with them each time.

Amazon has a "form" to fill out with corrections etc to catalog info. The say that they cannot respond to corrections made. ie - it goes into a black hole.

I also checked Tower Records and they don't distinguish them either.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules