Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > FAH time - is this reasonable?

FAH time - is this reasonable?
Colonel Panic
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 09:47 AM

thought i'd put my dual 2.5 to work on fah. running 2 instances that use fah core 65 (each instance refuses to use more than 1 CPU worth of cycles). so far, after maybe about a day of crunching, both processes seem to be ~75% done. This seems slow to me. What kind of times are people seeing for different machines? Is there something wrong with my setup, perhaps?

billybob128
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 10:57 AM

my dual 2 G5 runs at a massive diurnal time range. it can be 5 minuites per frame on a gromacs to 2 hours per frame of gromacs. these longer ones i have noticed are protiens in water so thats probably why there is a new time delay.

tinkers take a while as well i think a standard 8 mins per frame but over 400 frames that takes a while.

it really depends on what protien you are running and which bit of software that uses (tinker/gromacs)

it will tell you what the protien is at the top before it tells you its writing the local files: for example mine atm states: Protein: p957_pa_drf2

if you really want then you can find the protein you are running here: http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

and this will tell you the prefered time the deadline and how much your current protein is worth

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 01:10 AM

Pretty much what Billybob said. It depends a lot on the protein. My iMac G5 1.6ghz got a tinker unit that took 2.5 days, but it was worth around 250 points I think. Now its working on a 57 point gromacs that looks like it will take around 13 hours. My AMD 64 3200 has a p1317 worth 343 points that will take around 33 to 34 hours.

So depending on the protein and its size or type, will determine the relative speed. Take a look at the protein and then look it up in the list that billybob provided the link to. That will tell you how many points you'll get when it is done. Every work unit is different, but generally the G5's will do very well on Gromacs, and not as well on Tinkers. Unfortunately you can't control what you get, it all depends on what the projects needs are. Overall though you should get some pretty good numbers off of that dual.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 03:36 AM

Another good site to check out is Extreme Overclocking. If you check out your user info there, you can see how many points you're getting per day on average, and also see which of your teammates you will overtake or be overtaken by if you keep the current rate.

Here's a list of the users on Team MacNN: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...st.php?s=&t=16

Lots of good info there. I have a great variety of proteins - a month or two ago I was getting all Tinkers, now I'm getting a lot of Gromacs ones. Tinkers tend to run slower on Macs, while Gromacs do well because they're optimized for AltiVec.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Another good site to check out is Extreme Overclocking. If you check out your user info there, you can see how many points you're getting per day on average, and also see which of your teammates you will overtake or be overtaken by if you keep the current rate.

Here's a list of the users on Team MacNN: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...st.php?s=&t=16

Lots of good info there. I have a great variety of proteins - a month or two ago I was getting all Tinkers, now I'm getting a lot of Gromacs ones. Tinkers tend to run slower on Macs, while Gromacs do well because they're optimized for AltiVec.
http://teamstats.macnn.com/fold/
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules