Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > IDE cable data transfer

IDE cable data transfer
transferz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 03:26 AM

is it possible to transfer the data from my old hard drive into my new 120g hd on my blueberry imac via ide cable. I know the current ide cable thats in there dosent have an extra port but i can always buy one with the extra port. Oh im using os 9.2.2?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 03:44 AM

it's certainly possible if you get it hooked up right. don't forget to set one of the drives to slave mode.

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 10:03 AM

This is probably not the best idea. Instead you should pick up a cheap USB drive sled (no drive) and hook that it. It will be slow, but work. I picked up my sled for $17.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 05:15 PM

IIRC, the early iMacs had a proprietary IDE connector although maybe it was just for the optical drives. I remember having a problem with that a while back.

An external sled or case would be a much better option.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

P
Jan 13, 2005, 10:52 PM

You'd have to remove the optical drive to make it fit (running the machine half disassembled is NOT recommended!). It's doable though. You don't mention which model you have, if it's the slotloader there are two ports on the same cable and they definately are standard IDEs. Personally I used an external Firewire box when I did this though.

EDIT: I intially made another answer because I thought we were talking about a Powermac - we are in that forum, after all.
( Last edited by P; Jan 13, 2005 at 11:03 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules