Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Robots at imax

Robots at imax
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 06:51 PM

Went and saw Robots today at imax.
Nice computer animation. Gratuitous computer animation at times (as in: did nothing to further the story, just prolonged sequences of "Gee! Look what we can do!"). No memorable charcaters, no memorable dialoge. Just another computer animated film. About 5 minutes of plot and the rest was sight gags and pop culture references. My 3 year old daughter loved it, I thought it was tepid. I'd slot it above Shrek 2 and Ice Age, but below Shrek and pretty much all of Pixar's efforts.

It was pretty nifty to watch on the massive imax screen, tho.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 06:58 PM

You're not the only one to find it less than wonderful.
From the NY Times:
"Robots," directed by Chris Wedge and Carlos Saldanha, is a new 3-D computer-animated feature from 20th Century Fox's Blue Sky Studios, the outfit that brought us "Ice Age," and like that movie it's a reminder that when it comes to innovative animated entertainment for all ages, there is Pixar, there is Japan and there is everybody else.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2005, 01:30 AM

I agree. My definitive, comprehensive review of Robots:

"Meh."

These Pixar-wannabes just don't get that the story has to come first. There were parts that were so saccharine I just wanted to gag. I definitely want my $8.25 back (by the way, where do these movie theaters get off charging that much for a ticket? I'm in the wrong line of work...).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2005, 01:32 AM

i hated it, i actually feel asleep for about 25 minutes from what my friends said. Robin WIlliams was funny, but that was it. Plot seemed senseless, probably a great movie for kids thought so for that i would reocnmmend it, i saw the kids enjoying themselves a lot.

Honestly my top animated movies are(in order): FInding Nemo, Shrek, Shrek2, Ice Age.

Rev-O  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by V12:
i hated it, i actually feel asleep for about 25 minutes from what my friends said. Robin WIlliams was funny, but that was it. Plot seemed senseless, probably a great movie for kids thought so for that i would reocnmmend it, i saw the kids enjoying themselves a lot.

Honestly my top animated movies are(in order): FInding Nemo, Shrek, Shrek2, Ice Age.
Robin Williams was... Robin Williams. I found his voice acting distracting and annoying. He was the least entertaining part of the movie.
My official rating for robots: I've seen better film on teeth.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules