Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Youngest Students Most Likely to Be Expelled. Why? Liberal parents!

Youngest Students Most Likely to Be Expelled. Why? Liberal parents!
Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 10:58 AM

Sorry, I must say this.

Here is reason for youngest students expelled...Women lib. Liberal democrat parent think have baby is like fashion thing. Women think is ok have baby and no husband! Must spank kids!

http://info.med.yale.edu/chldstdy/

Youngest Students Most Likely to Be Expelled
Preschoolers' Self-Esteem at Risk, Study Says

By Michael Dobbs
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 17, 2005; A02

Preschools are expelling youngsters at three times the rate of public schools, according to a nationwide study by Yale researchers, prompting concerns that children are being set up for educational failure at a very young age.

The first nationwide study of expulsion rates in state-supported preschools, scheduled for release today, found that boys are being thrown out of preschool 4 1/2 times as frequently as girls. African American preschoolers are twice as likely to be expelled as white or Latino children, and five times as likely as Asian Americans. Twice as many 5-year-olds face the ultimate sanction for bad behavior as 4-year-olds.

"These 3- and 4-year-olds are barely out of diapers," said Walter Gilliam, an assistant professor of child psychiatry and psychology at Yale University and author of the report "Prekindergarteners Left Behind." He said the lack of support for troubled youngsters could lead parents to "view their child as an educational failure well before kindergarten."

Los Angeles-based child development expert Karen Hill-Scott said the study provided scientific validation for the impression conveyed by the popular television show "Supernanny" "that there are a lot of out-of-control children out there." But she and other experts put much of the blame for the high expulsion rate on teachers and administrators rather than on children.
( Last edited by Eynstyn; May 18, 2005 at 07:39 PM. )
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2005, 11:43 AM

That's one reason, perhaps. A more direct cause would be the fact that since preschool is not mandatory, there is much less red tape involved in kicking a student out. Expulsion is not done lightly at higher levels of education, because something has to be done to satisfy the legal requirement that the child be educated at that time.

I do agree that many modern parents do not take parenting seriously enough, and that discipline has fallen out of vogue because it's an unpleasant thing to do. I think this could well be one of the most serious problems facing society, if not now then in a few years when these out-of-control kids start growing up without having learned the necessary lessons. Many kindergarteners -according to some studies, perhaps up to half- do not enter school knowing necessary things like basic colors and numbers, or even the alphabet. If our parents are failing in their duty to teach such basic things in academics, is it a wonder that the students don't know the basics of interacting with other people either?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 12:01 PM

Sorry, I must say this.

Here is reason for youngest students expelled...Women lib. Liberal democrat parent think have baby is like fashion thing. Women think is ok have baby and no husband! Must spank kids!
You've clearly demonstrated your command of the English language in other threads so please use it properly. We know you know English so please be articulate.

Children of liberal parents might be reading.

SVass
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn
http://info.med.yale.edu/chldstdy/ has the actual study of publically funded pre schools instead of the publicity release. Some salient facts without comment:
African-American preschoolers were about twice as likely to be expelled as EuropeanAmerican (both Latino and non-Latino) preschoolers and over five times as likely as Asian-American preschoolers. [In other words, whites also did worse than orientals and latinos-sorry about the non pc words.]

Child racial/ethnic composition percentage
Asian 3.51
Latino 19.25
Native American 4.09
Black (non-Latino) 21.62
White (non-Latino) 48.36
Other/Multi-racial 2.94

Table 6. Prekindergarten Expulsion by Child Age, Gender, and Race Expulsions per 1,000
Child Age 2 Years 3.75 3 Years 3.96 4 Years 5.85 5-6 Years 11.57
Child Gender Female 2.26 Male 10.46
Child Race/Ethnicity Asian-American 1.82 Latino 4.42 White (non-Latino) 5.77 Other 6.81 African-American 10.04

sam

OreoCookie
May 18, 2005, 12:14 PM

The link for the article doesn't work anymore.

Anyway, what's the connection between `liberal' parents and expulsion here? The divorce rates in Republican states (and hence the single-parent families) are usually higher ... the US average is also higher than that of all European countries. So where do you see the connection?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SVass
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
It works fine if you scroll to read more and click.sam
http://info.med.yale.edu/chldstdy/

Pre-K Students Expelled at More Than Three Times the Rate of K-12 Students
Read more

OreoCookie
May 18, 2005, 01:12 PM

I was referring to the original article (I was still typing while you posted the reply).

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 01:22 PM

I agree with OreoCookie and I'm a conservative.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 01:26 PM

Anyway, what's the connection between `liberal' parents and expulsion here? The divorce rates in Republican states (and hence the single-parent families) are usually higher ... the US average is also higher than that of all European countries. So where do you see the connection?
There is no connection, but it sure does make for a handy scapegoat. It also makes me wonder about the choice of some poster's authors!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 02:05 PM

Must spank kids!

Hi KarlG, how are you today?

SVass
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 02:19 PM

There is no demonstrable link between divorce rates and this article. This study was of state supported pre-schools which are probably in urban and lower income areas and used by single parent and two parent working families. Privately paid pre-schools were not included. Divorce rates may be higher in high income areas for all I know. These data are nonsensical noise as far as I can tell.

Eynstyn must be suggesting that the working poor are liberal. In addition, he is suggesting that a percentage of them are not being properly raised. The study says that 1% of the working-poor African American children in pre-school are expelled while only half that percentage of equivalent white children are expelled. I guess he is saying that the other 99% are conservative Republicans. sam

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 02:20 PM

Wow. This thread loses.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 03:08 PM

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
You've clearly demonstrated your command of the English language in other threads so please use it properly. We know you know English so please be articulate.

Children of liberal parents might be reading.
Feisty for such a little pooch aren't ya?

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 07:46 PM

TV show. "911 Nanny." Spoiled kids act like tasmaniaen devils and grow like weed. Need discipline.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 07:48 PM

I was referring to the original article (I was still typing while you posted the reply).
Thanks, I edited the Washpost OUT!!!

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
There is no connection, but it sure does make for a handy scapegoat. It also makes me wonder about the choice of some poster's authors!
I sure hope you don't take a laptop with you when you go.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno
Wow. This thread loses.
Is this from the guy who resents NPR because he was told it means, "No Paisan Radio?"

Or is he angry because his child was a test subject in the Yale study?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:06 PM

Hell hath no fury like a pooch scorned.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by SVass
There is no demonstrable link between divorce rates and this article. This study was of state supported pre-schools which are probably in urban and lower income areas and used by single parent and two parent working families. Privately paid pre-schools were not included. Divorce rates may be higher in high income areas for all I know. These data are nonsensical noise as far as I can tell.

Eynstyn must be suggesting that the working poor are liberal. In addition, he is suggesting that a percentage of them are not being properly raised. The study says that 1% of the working-poor African American children in pre-school are expelled while only half that percentage of equivalent white children are expelled. I guess he is saying that the other 99% are conservative Republicans. sam
This here comment is proof that liberals are unable to respond appropriately to any given situation. That's why ya'll LOST in November! LOLOL

Millennium's comment might serve as a model for an attitude you could help demonstrate among your crew. Maybe they'll recognize the superiority of it and make a better world for everyone involved, forevermore.

Who am I kiddin? You guys are forever LOST!

But sadly it looks like you are raisin loser kids, too.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:08 PM

CHINESE SICK LEAVE - "I NO COME WORK TODAY!!!"

Hung Chow calls into work and says, "Boss I no come work today, I real sick. Got headache, stomach ache and legs hurt, I no come work."

The boss says, "You know Hung Chow, I really need you today. When I feel like this I go to my wife and tell her give me sex. That makes everything better and I go work. You try that, okay?"

Two hours later Hung Chow calls again.

"Boss, I do what you say and I feel great. I be at work soon...you got real nice house."

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 08:13 PM

CHINESE SICK LEAVE - "I NO COME WORK TODAY!!!"

Hung Chow calls into work and says, "Boss I no come work today, I real sick. Got headache, stomach ache and legs hurt, I no come work."

The boss says, "You know Hung Chow, I really need you today. When I feel like this I go to my wife and tell her give me sex. That makes everything better and I go work. You try that, okay?"

Two hours later Hung Chow calls again.

"Boss, I do what you say and I feel great. I be at work soon...you got real nice house."
WOW!

That ain't very PC!

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 08:15 PM

Hell hath no fury like a pooch scorned.

Ok, so when do you get your green card or do you already have it?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:20 PM

I don't need one. I'm not moving to Utah.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:23 PM

Oh, and BTW?

Talking about being "PC?"

But sadly it looks like you are raisin loser kids, too.
I don't think THAT was a very nice thing to say, was it?

I mean, I know a lot of conservatives who have absolutely nothing to do with their own kids once they're divorced. This thread title smacks of hypocrisy.

That's why I think it should be turned into a joke thread, actually.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:24 PM

Did you get 97 bucks from Qwest?

SVass
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 08:39 PM

This here comment is proof that liberals are unable to respond appropriately to any given situation. That's why ya'll LOST in November! LOLOL

Millennium's comment might serve as a model for an attitude you could help demonstrate among your crew. Maybe they'll recognize the superiority of it and make a better world for everyone involved, forevermore.(
You and your cowardly Texas compatriots continue to make up phony phacts. Your innumerate, illiterate leader lied and so you grab on to a silly study to satisfy a desire for dastardly diversion. (quoth the raven, nevermore) rephrased you lie frogeye sam

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:44 PM

Actually, Sam, he's a lot closer to YOU than you know.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 09:44 PM

I don't need one. I'm not moving to Utah.

Don't you get it? I'm not who you think I am. I don't know you. I don't want to know you. Please bark up a different tree.

SVass
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 11:35 PM

Actually, Sam, he's a lot closer to YOU than you know.

Cody, I appreciate the warning; but, he is a typical blowhard like his idol. The problem with his original post is that reporters don't read numbers. They go find some "expert" in a related field and ask for an opinion whether or not the expert knows anything about the report. Then they can write a "balanced" article. A subject can be so complex that there aren't two sides, for and against or yes/no. This thread is a joke because his original post was not serious. Is the expulsion rate from the US Army greater than the 1% for these pre-school kids? If so, why are their patriotic conservative parents not also being bashed? Obviously conservatives like Bush, Delay, Cheney, and Quayle went to Vietnam. sam

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 05:15 AM

Is this from the guy who resents NPR because he was told it means, "No Paisan Radio?"

Or is he angry because his child was a test subject in the Yale study?

What the hell are you talking about?

- Claims that liberal democrat women are having children because it's fashionable and that's the reason behind these expulsions - Strike 1
- Makes up some sh*t about NPR that doesn't have anything to do with the thread at all - Strike 2
- Mistakenly thinks I have children (at age 20 no less) - Strike 3, you're a retard.

Grow a brain, dumbass.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 07:21 AM

Oh, yes, we know who you are, don't worry.

I won't go into the details, but we all know who you are - there are "ways" a person can tell.

(Cough cough cough)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SVass
You and your cowardly Texas compatriots continue to make up phony phacts. Your innumerate, illiterate leader lied and so you grab on to a silly study to satisfy a desire for dastardly diversion. (quoth the raven, nevermore) rephrased you lie frogeye sam
You wouldn't happen to be a regular on dailyKos, would you?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

SVass
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
You wouldn't happen to be a regular on dailyKos, would you?
Thank you for the compliment. My wife introduced me to the column and we both enjoyed his recent description of the demise of his laptop as the hinges on my wife's laptop also gave out; but its final death came from a spilled coke into the keyboard-a nasty way to go. sam

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 10:53 AM

Fill me in? I had that happen with a Titanium PowerBook and it was published by PowerbookCentral.

Here's the article.

My husband was really pissed off. It worked out okay because in the end they sent a brand new PowerBook and I made a couple of really great friends in the Apple legal department. One of them borrowed my vacation house in Sarasota last year when they came here on vacation.

Make lemonade from lemons is what I say.

SVass
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 11:26 AM

Fill me in? I had that happen with a Titanium PowerBook and it was published by PowerbookCentral.

Here's the article.

My husband was really pissed off. It worked out okay because in the end they sent a brand new PowerBook and I made a couple of really great friends in the Apple legal department. One of them borrowed my vacation house in Sarasota last year when they came here on vacation..
http://www.dailykos.com/main/5
"Sat May 14th, 2005 at 11:54:22 PDT
When I was in London, the Guardian gave me a cell phone to use in country. I was shocked that the Motorola phone, otherwise a nice piece of equipment, sported a Microsoft interface. The Guardian helpfully preloaded every number I might ever need -- cell and office numbers of my editors, the paper's front desk, etc. Within six hours, the Microsoft phone OS had eaten the numbers. But wait! I thought, the "call history" section would include all the numbers I've called and received, so at least I could go there to get the most important numbers. But after a day, the Microsoft phone OS had eaten those.
That Windows Mobile smartphone sucks horribly. Stay away from it at all costs.

Meanwhile, my old trusty Powerbook finally bought it. Yup, the one that made the cover of several publications and was prominently featured in my C-SPAN interview had to be retired. I abused that machine like nothing else, and when the monitor hinge finally gave, I had to sadly upgrade. (And I really mean 'sadly'. I was hoping to hold out until next year when the G5 powerbooks finally make an appearance.)

While I haven't run OS X Tiger through its paces, it had one incredible feature -- I could connect it to my old laptop, and it literally transferred everything over seamlessly to my new one. Everything, from programs, to my emails, to bookmarks, to cookies. And it transferred about 40 GBs of stuff in less than an hour. As anyone who has had to upgrade their machine knows, this is nothing short of miraculous. "

My experience was somewhat different as we had my wife's Wallstreet G3 repaired originally by Apple and at the time they replaced a defective power module as well at no cost for the latter. Several years later, we had it repaired by an outside shop with improved hinges before it met the Coke. A local shop copied all of the hard disk to her present G4 powerbook. sam

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 12:00 PM

He sounds like he got a lot of use from the PowerBook, though.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2005, 12:23 PM

- Claims that liberal democrat women are having children because it's fashionable and that's the reason behind these expulsions - Strike 1
- Makes up some sh*t about NPR that doesn't have anything to do with the thread at all - Strike 2
- Mistakenly thinks I have children (at age 20 no less) - Strike 3, you're a retard.

Grow a brain, dumbass.
I am eynstyn. My brain is good. Thank you. Learn manners, young man.

SVass
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 12:31 PM

He sounds like he got a lot of use from the PowerBook, though.
As did we from our Wallstreet powerbook. It had been to the the Family History Library in Salt Lake on a genealogy trip (as well as sitting through a choir rehearsal in their hall). It had withstood thousands of miles of auto vacations and additional air travel. We took it into many courthouses in the Southeast (past the no-gun stickers) while reading old land and court records for clues about ancestors. sam

OreoCookie
May 19, 2005, 12:33 PM

TV show. "911 Nanny." Spoiled kids act like tasmaniaen devils and grow like weed. Need discipline.
Yeah, TV wisdom.
Anyway, if you can speak English properly, why don't you put it to use? Also, I don't think people (from both sides of the aisle) appreciate your post 'n' run threads here. If you have something (logically coherent) to say, do so. If not, leave it.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2005, 12:34 PM

Grow a brain, dumbass.
Hawwwwww!

You make me think your sorry you WEREN'T part of the Yale study. You make me think your sorry your not a fashion statement because your to fugly. This thread is not about baseball!

Demonhood
Administrator
May 19, 2005, 12:35 PM

thread rating: worthless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules