Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > What font does the New York Times use?

What font does the New York Times use?
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 02:37 AM

Not sure if this should be in the lounge or not. I was just wondering what type of font this is. Sorry if it's obvious to some of you font buffs. I really like how easy it is to read it, but also notice that it seems to take up more space than say Times or Helvetica. Here's a sample from the nytimes.com:

( Last edited by TheIceMan; May 27, 2005 at 02:50 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2005, 02:53 AM

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 20, 2003--The New York Times will begin tomorrow printing all headlines on page one and throughout the news sections in various versions of the Cheltenham typeface rather than the several different typefaces previously used. An article describing the changes will appear in tomorrow's paper. The overall approach to layout, sizes and emphasis will remain the same.

The Cheltenham varieties to be used are based on the original forms of the typeface designed in the early 20th century. Pre-eminent typographer Matthew Carter created the new family of Cheltenham typefaces under the direction of Tom Bodkin, the design director and assistant managing editor of The New York Times. The new fonts will replace the mix of faces that has been featured on page one beginning as early as the late 1800's and which has remained unchanged since 1976. The previous fonts included Cheltenham Bold Italic, Latin Condensed, News Gothic, Century Bold and two versions of Bookman.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 03:03 AM

Randman: On the NY Times website (the shot I posted), the letters/characters are not as long as the ones you posted. I do see very distinct similarities. Could it be a specific type of the Cheltenham font? Thanks for the quick reply btw. Man, you're fast.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2005, 10:03 AM

Are you sure it's not Times? http://65.175.234.241/~spaz/times.png

Zimphire
Baninated
May 28, 2005, 11:04 AM

Yeah I thought Times would be the obvious answer.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 12:40 PM

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 02:45 PM

The website probably uses a different font than the print newspaper since web sites tend to try and stick to a select few fonts. Unless they embedded the fonts in the website itself (and honestly, I can't remember how to look for that sort of thing...it's a DHTML feature, and I don't know DHTML), they probably just resorted to using Times. The print paper goes by what Randman said.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2005, 05:00 PM

Cheltenham isn't even close. A quick look at the W will tell you that, then you'll find many more differences with a close look. But as already said, what's used on the Web is with near 100% certainty not used in print.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2005, 06:58 PM

I'm more concerned with the font used on the NYTimes website. It is not Times. The font in the posted shot is rounder and more oval-ish than Times.

Seion
May 29, 2005, 12:31 PM

Well, according to the HTML of the webpage... the font family they use for the website is indeed the "Times New Roman, Times, Serif" family. The browser picks the fonts in that order should it not find the first one in the list, and so on...
Normal People Worry Me.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2005, 02:03 PM

Web browsers can only display fonts that are on your computer. If the font is not on your computer then it will display a secondary substitute font and if that font is unavailable, then it will pick another. It's Times New Roman and that is very very obvious. Where are you getting this "rounder and oval-ish" thought?

I work in Pre-Press and I deal with tons of fonts all the time and I can tell you that your screenshot is indeed using Times New Roman. Also, it may look a little different with the Anti-Aliasing settings you are using on your computer.

Why are you so afraid of Times anyway?
( Last edited by TheSpaz; May 29, 2005 at 02:14 PM. )

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2005, 02:13 PM

This is the last bit of proof to give to you. It is most definately Times.

http://65.175.234.241/~spaz/timesagain.png

This discussion is over. You're welcome.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 09:32 PM

Alright guys. I guess what threw me off is that the font is size 15 on the site. Since I normally type in 11 or 12 size fonts, it confused me. Bad eyes, what can I say. Thanks for everyone's help.

Spaz: I was not afraid, I was curious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules