Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Curious what you guys think about this site design I'm working on..

Curious what you guys think about this site design I'm working on..
Link
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 05:32 PM

So anyway, my home site TalesMUD.com has been pretty much the same old design for a while, kinda like my sig -- and like my sig (I think), it's kinda tough to beat, 'cept I came up with some neat ideas over time and finally found a way to get them to go together nicely yesterday.

Of course, one of the things I like to do is see what people think, and maybe even take in some totally new ideas, so here we go -- the new design looks like this:

(click to enlarge)

Like the current stuff, it'll have a multiple color chooser setup (click one of the 4 widgets at the bottom left of the banner on the current site and watch neat things happen), and of course I've still got a bunch of things to consider:

Color schemes: Red Blue Green and Graphite are the usual, got other suggestions? (Dukes of Hazard easter egg somewhere)
Fonts: I have no idea what to use right now, personally I prefer sans-serif, but the Times Roman stuff actually looks okay.
The CASTLE! Do you like it? Do you hate it? I love it, but I'm open to opinion

Notes:
The site WILL be dynamic, it'll also be PNG-based for a few things (the castle outline and the banner), and the whole thing will be CSS/PHP based, why I post pics at such an "early" design phase is to figure this stuff out before I commit to it, of course I think the Winter/holiday/christmas theme will be really cool with this sorta layout, though!

Either way, just overall curious what ya think, and for those who are wondering, TalesMUD is a MUD I started back in late 2000/early 2001, my friends and I had a lot of fun with that but when things got busy we relocated several times and well yeah, lost most of the code for it *sigh*, so that's still a work in progress to get functional again. Originally it was called Tales of the Golden Gate MUD but I realized TM would be a bit easier to remmber, and with time things like the site and IRC server came along for the ride, much of which constantly changes

The whole thing runs off my G4 so yeah, it's pretty much a mac thing

Anyway, thanks ahead for your help!
Aloha

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 3, 2005, 11:57 PM

Dead links link.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2005, 12:07 AM

Looks like a 404

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2005, 12:35 AM

That is a hawt 404!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2005, 12:42 AM

I like what you've done with the 404 thing. Its very minimalist, yet gets across your meaning. I guess my only concern is your lack of real content, but besides that, its a good start.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2005, 12:45 AM

or

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2005, 03:11 AM

lol sorry about that, I had a few problems with my g4 and lookupd (again) -- 3 crashes and I had enough of that, so I reinstalled, but I was so tired (all nighters are NOT good ideas), that I when I restored my backups I dumped /library/webserver in /library.

BTW,the link is back up. Sorry bout that one!
( Last edited by Link; Jun 4, 2005 at 03:43 AM. )
Aloha

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2005, 05:36 PM

Well that was worth the wait.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules