Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I need a new cell phone, Blackberry?

I need a new cell phone, Blackberry?
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 07:53 PM

so my T mobile contract is just about up and I need something better. My T610 is a decent phone but the coverage is crap and now I need something with maybe more horsepower.

Dose anyone use a blackberry by Nextel. I love the thought of checking email from there or getting directions in a pinch from google. Dose it play well with macs? how IS the internet on these things?

I'd miss the photo/video capabilities but the walkie talkie is cool. My wife would be getting one too (or at least the same company) so what do you suggest?

thanks!!

Kent

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2005, 08:11 PM

Kent:

I'm torn. I was given a Nextel Blackberry (7510 Model) by my current employer and have been using it daily since this past January. I'm a HUGE fan of the e-mail feature, as well as, the Internet...very fast, responsive, and crystal clear; however, the phone is another story. I hate to use the Blackberry as a phone. It's not the Nextel service or anything, it's actually fairly well where I work; however, the size of the Blackberry is too big for my liking to carry in my pocket, and I don't really like clipping it to my belt or anything. The clarity/volume of the phone is pretty awful compared to my personal cell phone, and I don't like the phone interface portion of the Blackberry as well, plus the buttons are microscopic. I have a much smaller personal flip-phone that I use to talk with. Again, this is just a personal preference, but of the 65+ Blackberry users in the Enteprise, almost everybody echoes the same things in regards to using the Blackberry as a phone, but absolutely loving the e-mail and Internet features.

As far as the Mac compatibility, I haven't had a single problem using the PocketMac software, or the actual Blackberry Desktop Software on my Windows machine at work.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 08:35 PM

Sony Ericson. Great phones. Worth wonders with Macs.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 09:26 PM

Are you dead-set to leave T-Mob? I have their BlackBerry 7100t and love it. If you're looking for a true info appliance without the "toys" on most phones these days, it's the device for you. After a few hiccups with PocketMac, it now syncs beautifully with my Mac, the push e-mail is great and the phone features are all that I need. If you're into the camera and games, this isn't the device for you, but if you really want a powerful PDA/phone combo, go for it.

Cingular offers the same device. For them, it's the 7100g

BTW, I also came from the SE T610. My reception with that phone was horrendous, but I've since downgraded to the lowly Nokia 6010 (great reception) and then upgraded to the BlackBerry... And had no reception problems since.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 09:57 PM

I haven't used any of the newer BlackBerrys so I can't compare it on person experience, but I absolutely love my Treo 600, and the Treo 650s are even better. Have you considered them?

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 11:03 PM

I havent used any of them yet. I guess I didnt know everyone had them. My Tmobile experience has not been good as far as coverage. seems like I have no network MOST of the time. If that could signifcantly improve with the blackberry, I'd stick with them. I never play games on my phone but I do take photos from time to time. I would miss that feature. I love getting to a gig and sending a photo to my wife if need be. A video would be even cooler. I dont know what I need

milhous
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 11:10 PM

i don't use gsm so i'm a bit curious. if t-mobile's coverage with their own towers isn't that great, then don't you get to roam on other gsm networks such as cingular.

personally, i'm thinking about a verizon wireless treo 650.
F = ma

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 5, 2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Sony Ericson. Great phones. Worth wonders with Macs.
Great designs, Bluetooth is good, Good syncing. Less than stellar build quality.

My T610's joystick was not so great. My K700i's joystick was repaired once, and then Sony just replaced the entire phone. Actually I still have it in the box. I'm wondering if an iTunes phone will be released tomorrow, and if so, if it's any good. If not, I'm almost tempted to sell the K700i (since it's brand new), and downgrade back to the T610, since I can get it for $25 although it's locked to my carrier, and I have to take a contract. (No biggie, cuz I've been with this carrier for 7 years already anyway. I'm not going anywhere. When a new phone comes out with all the fixins I'll just buy it and continue with the same contract.)

The only problem with T610 IIRC is that is it only allows one phone number per name. Is that correct? My K700i allows multiple phone numbers and an email address for each name. Very convenient.

I don't like Blackberrys myself. Far too big and clunky. I'm still shocked these things actually became popular.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 10:17 AM

The T610 allows multiple numbers for contacts as well. The thing I do miss from the K700i (I had it, but lost it in Sidney) is the way it displays the number with the contacts in the contact-list. Oh and the better sms-interface.

I don't use a phone nearly as much as I used to, so I can't afford getting a second K700i as an upgrade to my T610. I might be tempted by the K750i though

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2005, 01:33 AM

After playing with one at MacWorld SF 2005 I'm getting a 7100t for $150 from here

http://www.pocketmacenabled.com/blackberry7100.php

INCLUDING the PocketMac software.

I'm *never* again buying a Palm product. Their support for the early Palms and later the three Treos I had which would up with broken hinges was to dissemble and then "offer" a repair price about par with buying a new unit. Um, no thanks. I complained and management was of the same tune: "We don't need you, you're just a customer with a track record of buying our product. Go buy some more." (Okay, so I'm paraphrasing a bit.)
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2005, 01:44 AM

I have a Seimens SX66, the wife has a Treo 600. I like both of them. Surfing is pretty good, being able to see full web pages, although slow over GPRS. I will be using Windows mobile at my workplace and this phone promises to be a big plus for me there. Only negative, you need to spend more money to make it function like you want it. ie. you need to buy markspace's missing sync for pocket pc (currently unavailable for Tiger, but supposed to be available in late June), as well as Microsoft Voice Command to be able to do voice dialing. These things get so bulky that you don't want to be taking the thing out of your pocket all the time to make a call. People tell me they think I'm talking to my wallet since I got a case from EB cases and it looks like a wallet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules