Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Your digital recording device -- WireTap Pro

Your digital recording device -- WireTap Pro
Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2005, 11:56 PM

Moki (a regular poster at macnn) is the president of Ambrosia Software and as such can be excused for not tooting his company's horn too much in these pages. It probably would violate the rules and certainly wouldn't seem, well, seemly.

But when he posted a press release announcing the development of Wire Tap Pro he put it in the applications section...someplace a non-techie might not look. That explains why I just found it by clicking on the reserved little link in his sig.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to podcast you'll want to know about Wire Tap Pro. If you want to record almost anything, in almost any way using your Mac you should check it out.

It doesn't require Garageband, either. (I don't have Garageband and would need to upgrade my system before I could even use it.) With WTP I can hook up a mic to my Mac and record whatever I want and convert it to Mp3 format to use as I wish.

If I didn't find Wire Tap Pro I was thinking I had to buy an Edirol R1 or the new Marantz PD 660 digital recorder both of which are $400+!!!

I may just find myself a cheap used iBook, install Wire Tap Pro and use it for field recording rather than getting a very specialized field recorder, I'll have an iBook that will enable me to do many different things in the field.

All of that because I found moki's Wire Tap Pro announcement.

By the way, it only costs $19.

Check it out. It might be just what you've been looking for your podcasting or even your videos.
(One application immediately comes to mind...using the WTP equipped iBook on location to provide back-up sound recording OR for a different crew to use it to record ambient sound while the main crew is working on setting up or shooting. Anything you need to record in person or on the internet or anything that plays on your iMac can be recorded!)

I'm not sure what the sound specs would be but I wanted to get the word out as soon as I could and we'll procede from here.

Way cool!

================================================== ====
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente

report abuse

Old 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Rochester, NY -- May 24th, 2005 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today the release of WireTap Pro 1.1.0. This major revision, which is free to registered users of WireTap Pro 1.0.x, may be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/wiretap/

WireTap Pro 1.1.0 features the following changes/enhancements:

-- MacOS X 10.4.x (aka "Tiger") compatibility

-- A "dual recording" mode allows you to record both Microphone and Mac audio simultaneously (great for recording Skype conversations)

-- WireTap Pro now contains a built-in equalizer with useful presets for optimal recordings

-- A new Tivo-like "one-off timed recording" feature that allows you to record with a time delay

-- Adds support for Automator actions under MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger)

-- Fixes a few bugs in the underlying recording mechanism that will make for better recordings for some users

-- Addresses a number of bugs and issues

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2005, 05:18 AM

Or, you could download a copy of Audacity and do most of that for free. And isn't there a free version of Wiretap that you can record audio streams with? Admittedly, the timmer record feature is quite tempting.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by OB1
Or, you could download a copy of Audacity and do most of that for free. And isn't there a free version of Wiretap that you can record audio streams with? Admittedly, the timmer record feature is quite tempting.
Thanks for the link. But for some reason (I'm thinking user ineptitude combined with insufficient ram...the latter of which is due to be addressed soon...) I have been unable to make Audacity (or the free Pro Tools) work on my "Tangerine Dream."

I'm hoping to have em ALL downloaded some day soon!
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules