Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > best wireless mac-stereo radio/music solution?

best wireless mac-stereo radio/music solution?
pete
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 08:32 PM

I'd like to:

1. Be able to beam music and internet radio from my home office mac to my living room stereo

2. Have a remote control to control it from the living room

What are my options and what do you think is the best solution?

Thanks...

Pete

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2005, 07:01 AM

My Airport Express with the Keyspan IR remote works pretty swimmingly.

Good:
It works
Digital Output (schweet!)
If you pause, it will start back up again, even days later
The AEX fills in a hole in my wifi network, and I have my TiVo/xBox plugged into it
Have the same system on the stereo in the bedroom and it integrates flawlessly

Mildly Irritating:
No display (obviously YMMV on this)
Half-second lag from button press to result

Curious (and irritating):
The track forward and track back IR commands don't get learned quite properly by universal remotes (I've tried this with two different brands). You often end up having to track back to get the thing to respond, and then track forward. Sometimes you have to hammer on the buttons for awhile as well. The included remote works flawlessly.

Not the cheapest option, especially if you don't have a Wifi setup in the first place.

[edit: I forgot, I haven't tried internet radio, but would presume that would work]
( Last edited by subego; Jun 19, 2005 at 09:23 AM. )

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 11:21 AM

That's kind of what I was thinking but I was hoping that there is something that would display what is playing. I suppose it will be coming soon. Any other, less expensive solutions? I already have a wireless network...

thanks

I'm also curious about listening to internet radio. The stations I'm mostly interested in are not in the itunes list. Is there a way to add them? And if not, how would I be able to stream it to my stereo?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 01:25 PM

1. www.rokulabs.com
2. www.elgato.com
3. Buy a cheap Mac or PC.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 05:34 PM

i read some good things about these, yet to see one personally or know of anyone thats got the Sonos.
not cheap to buy, but from the demo on the website they look pretty good.
http://www.sonos.com

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 07:54 PM

Ok, it seems like I will not be able to add BBC radio to itunes since it requires real player or Windows media player. Is there a way to wirelessly play real player stuff through a stereo?

The roku looks good but I'm not sure from their site if I can do this...

thanks again

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 07:27 AM

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Can stream any audio your mac can play to your AEX. I use it to listen to CBC, they use WMA format streaming which iTunes does not handle.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 11:18 AM

I have a couple of Squeezeboxes. www.slimdevices.com

I have found them great. There are so many plugins and things for streaming stuff to them that I am sure if you look at their website (forums and such) you will find an answer. If I get some more time and find out, I will let you know.

Am playing with the idea of selling a few of my amps and the squeezeboxes and getting three sonos players and a controller. Have had my eye on them since they came out.

[Edit - have found what I think you are looking for. It is a plugin called AlienBBC http://www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc.html which should do the job with the squeezies. Just have a look in http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_plugins.html for all the plugins you can get.]

Forum Links
Forum Rules