Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need all the help i can get for installing ram on the ibook.

Need all the help i can get for installing ram on the ibook.
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 12:07 AM

I've had only the builting in ram on my ibook and it was painfully slow, now i got new ram, and i have never installed hardware on my mac before. I am reallly scared about opening up my mac. i need all help i can get the installing this ram on my 1.07ghz ibook

so any and all help about installing the ram on my ibook 1.07ghz would be greatly appreciated, particularly if there are any video clips of anyone doing it anywhere on the net!

thank you guys and gals in advance!

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2005, 12:19 AM

if memory serves me correctly, there's actually a sticker under the keyboard illustrating how to upgrade the RAM. all you really have to do is lift off the keyboard, unplug the airport card, and unscrew the cover over the RAM (which is the metal plate under the airport card slot.

I'll post a link to a picture walkthrough if I stumble across one, but dont stress too much about it, the RAM is the 2nd easiest thing to install in an ibook, only beaten by the airport card.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2005, 12:22 AM

Here you go (pdf file)

Courtesy of good old Apple Good luck!
( Last edited by mpancha; Jun 30, 2005 at 12:22 AM. Reason: fixed url)
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 12:28 AM

make sure you press and pull firmly, but not too firmly. that is the tricky part to me about this stuff. sometimes you feel like you may break something, it's unnerving, but in the end i've never messed something up removing / replacing RAM and i'm a total novice. you'll be fine following the instructions that mpancha linked. good luck!

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 01:17 AM

thank you guys i hope it works

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2005, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
thank you guys i hope it works
remember to ground yourself before touching the ram and logic board in case any static charge built up on your person may damage the equpiment.

simply touch a metal surface before touching any electronic components.

Ott Phenotne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2005, 06:57 AM

The trickiest part for me was seating the ram properly in the slot. when you push it into place it should be springy and give a little resistance as it snaps in.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ott Phenotne
The trickiest part for me was seating the ram properly in the slot. when you push it into place it should be springy and give a little resistance as it snaps in.
True you must give it a little push for it to snap in and seat it correctly. You must push it in until most of the gold on the contacts is hidden. Took a mightier push than I thought. Be very careful with your airport antenna. The wire came out of mine because of the many attempts to seat my RAM. (last attempt was after eading about the contacts and how far they needed to be in).

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 11:47 AM

Very good point about the gold contact bits, broxy. First time i put new RAM in I thought I had connected it properly, after checking About This Mac I realized my mistake.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ott Phenotne
that was the hardest part of putting it in!

i actually installed it and had to re do it beecause the card was not recognized at first. but when i did the second time it fit like a charm. thank you guys my comper is fasted and better since the ram install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules