Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is the "find" process?

What is the "find" process?
hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2005, 11:08 PM

I just noticed an unusual amount of hard drive activity. When I checked Activity Monitor, there is a process called "find" which is owned by user:nobody that is taking anywhere between 20% and 70% CPU and is making frequent requests to the hard drive. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 03:33 AM

This is part of the nightly maintenance processes run by cron. This specific one enables you to use 'locate' at the command line to find files quickly. Of course, the database is only updated once ever 24 hours, and then only if your machine is running in the middle of the night. It's handy if it's kept up-to-date.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 05:27 AM

I had it running at 1PM recently... I suspect that launchd is launching the weekly script at the wrong time.

hyperb0le  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2005, 11:34 AM

Okay, thanks for the responses. It's good to know that nothing's wrong. I, too, though believe launchd must be running the scripts at the wrong time. Yesterday's cron tasks apparently ran at 10:30pm... I usually have to run them manually, since I sleep my machine at night. Oh well

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:43 PM

Note that the new launchd in 10.4.2 supposedly catches up on missed scheduled tasks.

hyperb0le  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
Note that the new launchd in 10.4.2 supposedly catches up on missed scheduled tasks.
Thanks for the information. That's certainly a welcome change.

Forum Links
Forum Rules