Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sub (vanity) domains... can they point to completely different servers?

Sub (vanity) domains... can they point to completely different servers?
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2005, 12:35 PM

I wasn't sure if the Web Developer forum was right for this, so I'll toss it our here...

(1) If I host "www.MyDomain.com" with a hosting company in Virginia, can I host "forums.MyDomain.com" with a different company hosting in Alaska?

(2) Additionally, if I were to offer a POP/Web-based email system (sorta like Spymac), could I host "webmail.MyDomain.com" with yet a totally different company located in Texas?

Any advice would totally be appreciated.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2005, 12:54 PM

It's possible, at least on a technological level. You'll need to make DNS entries for each one, but that's mostly a matter of figuring out who you need to talk to about that. I suggest talking with the company you used to register your domain.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
(1) If I host "www.MyDomain.com" with a hosting company in Virginia, can I host "forums.MyDomain.com" with a different company hosting in Alaska?
I guess that depends on your Domain hoster.

Dreamhost.com for instance gives you four options for subdomains:
1) fully hosted
2) re-directed
3) mirrored
4) park

Originally Posted by spacefreak
(2) Additionally, if I were to offer a POP/Web-based email system (sorta like Spymac), could I host "webmail.MyDomain.com" with yet a totally different company located in Texas?
I'm not sure, I think you need to be able to modify the MX records.

-t

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2005, 01:05 PM

I was considering DreamHost for the vBulletin aspect; it looks like I should just talk to them about the whole darn project.

Thanks a lot for the info, fellas.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2005, 03:36 PM

Actually, I misspoke. It wasn't DreamHost that I was thinking of... I meant ThePlanet.com for my vB hosting.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 09:35 PM

Yes, it is most certainly possible.

However, you will most likely need to decide on only one server for handling all the mail, unless you send the mail to a subdomain ([email protected]).

You will need access to the raw zone files for your domain to set this up. Most good registrars should provide this, but many don't. Make sure you check before you buy your domain, or if you have already purchased it, transfer it to another provider.

For example, I have 40 subdomains on cabbit.org. All but three or four of them point to different servers. Entirely possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules