Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod docks

iPod docks
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 10:40 PM

My new 30GB iPod video arrives at the end of the month, and I am giving my ol' G2 15GB iPod away to a family member.

What I want to know is, do I need to hold on to the old dock to use with the new Universal Dock Connector? And exactly is that anyway, just a glorified cable or what?

Will my new iPod sit in the old dock?

I need to know this before I give away the dock with the iPod, in case I need to ask for it back.

And why aren't new iPods coming with docks anyway, like my 15GB did?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2005, 10:52 PM

The universal dock *adapter* is only for use with new accessories that are made to be compatible with all iPod models. I'm not sure that any of these actually exist yet. So the adapter isn't really usable at the moment. I think the new iPod will theoretically fit in the dock, but apparently it is a bit of a tight fit.

The decision to not include docks is a cost-cutting move on Apple's part.

blikum
Oct 22, 2005, 02:06 PM

My Video 60 gig fits in my pevious ipod photo dock just fine. Theres a bit of a gap because the new pods are thinner. But it works just fine.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 22, 2005, 02:45 PM

Interesting. Someone on the iLounge boards said the fit was so tight (width-wise) that they weren't comfortable using the old dock with the new iPods.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 22, 2005, 05:54 PM

This is a bit expensive at about $99 but the DLO Homedock sure looked nice.

http://ilounge.com/index.php/reviews...for-ipod-ipod/

The iPod dock connector sits on top of the dock and is not recessed like most other docks. This would be perfect for me because I have a Specks ToughSkin and would rather not take it out of the case just to dock it.

It has an adjustable back to accomodate the different sized iPods and it will output video and audio as well.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 22, 2005, 07:33 PM

Apple has the new "universal" dock, the one with the infrared port on it, that will use inserts now to accomodate different iPods. The 5g's come with an adapter already for it, but they are still 3-4 weeks to ship in the Apple Store I think...
- Eric

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2005, 07:48 PM

By the way, my 60GB Black iPod came this morning and it fits fine in my 3G 40GB dock. Of course, depending on the model of the older iPod, the new ones may or may not fit properly.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2005, 12:53 PM

I had a Apple iPod Dock For 3G 4G 10GB 15GB 20GB and it would *not* fit properly: too tight, and the dock connection was not great. Just an FYI. I think the 30gig would fit.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

crooner
Senior User
Oct 29, 2005, 04:02 PM

I just checked and yes, my 60GB Black iPod does fit (albeit loosely) in the dock that came with my 40GB photo model. The thing of it is, will it sync this way?
The new 'Pods won't sync over FireWire and these older docks use just that.

Okay... tried it. No go. It will only charge... not sync.

So what's the point?

<break in time>

Nope... not confused ( ), just stupid.

The new 'Pods won't sync over FireWire and these older docks use just that.
Wrong!

I just plugged the USB cable into the dock and now my iPod will charge and sync. So I guess that's the point.

I need more sleep.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Jason
Nov 23, 2005, 10:50 PM

Thanks guys, I was going to post a new thread about the dock compatibility, although I thought I would use the search button first
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 06:26 PM

This may sound dumb, but what about the original Dock? I have one for my 3rd Gen 15GB iPod which was essentially firewire and I was wondering if I can use the USB 2.0 cable with it safely?
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
This may sound dumb, but what about the original Dock? I have one for my 3rd Gen 15GB iPod which was essentially firewire and I was wondering if I can use the USB 2.0 cable with it safely?
Yes, USB works with the original dock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules