Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > old or new powerbook 15" and cinema display 20" - difference?

old or new powerbook 15" and cinema display 20" - difference?
pete
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 10:05 AM

I was going to get the latest 15" powerbook but decided last night that I don't feel like dealing with a potentially bad LCD. I'm thinking of ordering one of older generations 15" 1.5ghz instead or, depending on the answer to the following question, waiting for the LCD issues to be solved.

My question has to do with using a 20" cinema display with it - would there be any difference in 1.5ghz/64mb vram and the 1.67ghz/128vram? I've heard reports of heat and fans when connected to a larger display, would the extra vram make a difference with a 20" display? What is it that causes the heat and fan activity when connected to a cinema display? Any other things I should be aware of with external displays and powerbook usage?

Thanks

PeterKG
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 01:37 PM

Is there someone who knows the answer to this question who can answer it? I just bought a 20" ACD, and am hooking it up to my 1.5 GHz PB. The fans run quite a bit even though I'm only using Mail, Excel, Word, Safari, etc.

Would the newer PB with 128 Vram make a difference?

Thanks!
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 03:23 PM

anybody?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 12, 2005, 03:39 PM

More VRAM just means that the GPU (graphics chip) doesn't have to reach across the system bus into regular RAM as often. (That just slows things down.)

It shouldn't have any effect on heat production either way.

tooki

PeterKG
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
More VRAM just means that the GPU (graphics chip) doesn't have to reach across the system bus into regular RAM as often. (That just slows things down.)

It shouldn't have any effect on heat production either way.

tooki
Hi Tooki,

Thanks so much for answering that question.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Forum Links
Forum Rules