Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The war of the worlds starring Tom Cruise; a review.

The war of the worlds starring Tom Cruise; a review.
Cubeoid
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 11:24 PM

I watched this movie. I don't like it. It was not a good effort in film making. The footage was all covered with sunlight a lot of the time. The film was pointless and confusing. It made me feel strange and un-comfortable. The plot was so simplistic, it didn't really go anywhere. No highlights from other countries where the "aliens" were attacking. The outer space men were so under-represented. How similar was this to the 30s radio broadcast? I wasn't alive yet.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
I watched this movie. I don't like it. It was not a good effort in film making. The footage was all covered with sunlight a lot of the time. The film was pointless and confusing. It made me feel strange and un-comfortable. The plot was so simplistic, it didn't really go anywhere. No highlights from other countries where the "aliens" were attacking. The outer space men were so under-represented.

What would it have taken to make you feel comfortable with the notion of crazy aliens invading our planet?

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 11:28 PM

The movie was so dry. So un captivating. Morgan Freeman narrating was suposed to be a highlight? I mean come on people. Jeeez. What is the whole affair with this movie. Tom Cruise was very dry. Very dry indeed. Dressed shabby and acting like a jerk.

I will now comment on the scene with the people wanting to get into the car;

They are breaking the windows and all swarming in, one after another, why? What's the point. It was one of the silliest scenes in the film. Also when the alien robot is lasering people, when the people get hit with lasers, it looks like they are just disolving into some kind of sand or powder. Wouldn'd they explode or something like that.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
I watched this movie. I don't like it. It was not a good effort in film making. The footage was all covered with sunlight a lot of the time. The film was pointless and confusing. It made me feel strange and un-comfortable. The plot was so simplistic, it didn't really go anywhere. No highlights from other countries where the "aliens" were attacking. The outer space men were so under-represented. How similar was this to the 30s radio broadcast? I wasn't alive yet.
You want worldwide viewpoints and watch US landmarks get blown up... watch ID4.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
You want worldwide viewpoints and watch US landmarks get blown up... watch ID4.
Plus I`ll take `standard movie action hero Wil Smith` over dopy family Tom Cruse any day.

I do enjoy ID4. Plus the Aliens were more scary, and who doesn`t love seeing a Macintosh take down a mother ship?

War of The Worlds was lame. The original is better anyhow.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 16, 2005, 07:51 AM

Yeah Tom, you made another loser.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 08:36 AM

And they also chickened out of doing a war scene between the aliens and army which could have blown people away. Instead, you see them go over the hill, lots of explosions in the distance, then the army come back with all their tanks and trucks in flames. Big cop out.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ

War of The Worlds was lame. The original is better anyhow.
I can't wait to see what Jeff Wayne's CGI movie will turn out... some early CGI footage of the fighting machines look really cool... but I'm not so sure if a film dedicated to H G Wells' original story involving Victorian England will appeal to a US audience... but one thing's for sure, the music (in most parts) rocks!

http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/

Scheduled for a late 2006 - early 2007 release...

Bring it on

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 09:03 AM

I haven't seen this new War Of The Worlds yet.
In what way was Tom's dead father whose legend he has to live up to incorporated into it?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 11:36 AM

A lot of the limitations of the film, as discussed here and elsewhere, are a result of Spielberg deciding to keep a TIGHT focus on the father and his children, purposely ignoring the "big picture", such as battle scenes, other countries, etc. It was purposely a claustrophobic trip as seen through the eyes of a few individuals...similar to what you would see if it really happened.

By the end I was fed up with that POV, especially the kid, but I understand what Spielberg was trying to do.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 12:26 PM

Haven't seen the movie, and I have to say, it really suxxored

-t

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 12:57 PM

I admit it. I liked it.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Parky
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 01:17 PM

I was very disapointed with this movie for one main reason.

It was all going quite well for the first 70% of the movie and then it all went very rushed and it felt like they ran out of cash and had to finish it quickly.

One minute the aliens are a huge problem, nothing can defeat them, the next they are dying and it's all over. No real story development just a quick "look at the birds" to show the shields were down.

I really think Spielberg lost the plot on this one, it needed a wider scope to support the smaller story he wanted to tell. There were also many holes in the plot, for instance why, when and how did the aliens bury the ships on earth?

I had high hopes for this movie and was really getting some enjoyment from it until the scene in the basement onwards (with Tim Robbins).

A good idea let down by a poor story and bad screenplay.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 03:42 PM

The only good part in the movie was when Cruise put Tim Robbins out of his misery. That needs to happen in real life.

Otherwise the original version of the film was better in every way. What a waste of money the 2005 version ended up being.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 06:13 PM

Spielberg hasn't made a great film in years, he's not the infallable hit-maker that people seem to think he is. This wasn't exactly a flop like AI, but it is certainly not imaginative and exciting in the way Jurassic Park or Jaws were.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Parky
I was very disapointed with this movie for one main reason.

It was all going quite well for the first 70% of the movie and then it all went very rushed and it felt like they ran out of cash and had to finish it quickly.

One minute the aliens are a huge problem, nothing can defeat them, the next they are dying and it's all over. No real story development just a quick "look at the birds" to show the shields were down.
You realize this is how the original novel, radio broadcast, and movie ended as well, right? The point was that we (humans) couldn't have stopped them.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
You realize this is how the original novel, radio broadcast, and movie ended as well, right? The point was that we (humans) couldn't have stopped them.

Exactly. Now I just watched this movie tonight and it wasn't good. It was close to the original story in the very beginning and the very end (i.e. when Morgan Freeman narrated). The rest was utterly made up by the screenwriters.

Or was it? Not quite. Looks like they managed to sit down and watch one of the best BBC sci-fi drama of the 80s. Namely the Tripods. All the scariest scenes from those series was in the movie. This was a waste of time for sure, no suspense, no point. The Tripods TV series was everything this movie wanted to be. Scary, filled with hopelessness and desperate characters who were either fighting an impossible battle, fleeing or had surrendered themselves to the Tripods.

I seriously recommend that series and would like to see a remake in the form of a movie trilogy or something. But I digress. Back to the War of the Worlds.

It didn't bode well when I found myself rooting for the death of that utterly stupid son of Toms character in the movie. When the script/director/actor creates an animosity between the viewer and one of the main characters it is an indication of a bad movie. When that brat wanted to go with the army to fight against the aliens, I found myself saying "please let him go" and to my surprise he went and seconds after he was blasted to smithereens - only to inexplicably show up in Boston at the end of the movie. What?

There were even moments in this movie where it was funny but not because it was supposed to be funny. One scene I remembered made me laugh out loud was when they stood in front of a traincrossing (over a road) and the gate goes down and a train passes by at full speed in full flames - just like nothing is more normal! The caracters don't even mention it. I laughed.

So asides from wasting one's time, ruining the H.G. Wells story, ripping off the Tripods TV series and generally not making much sense this movie was utter crap. I am sorry to say. I love a good alien film and have nothing against remakes, Tom Cruise or Steven Spielberg but this was one fat turkey which left nothing after watching it.

If you want a good and exciting version of this movie (albeit low budget) watch the Tripods.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
The problem is that it's a terrible ending for an action movie with Tom Cruise grenading the alien attackers and all that. They even had to have them blow up the aliens some more even after they were clearly already done just to make the ending more exciting.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2005, 09:57 PM

The first third of this movie was worth watching. I haven't groaned so much over an ending since Peal Harbour. And I'm talking about the happy family reunion bit, not the HG Wells micro-organisms win the war ending (which doesn't translate to the big screen at all anyway). Still, it wasn't Signs!

M. Shyamalan is such a bloody hack.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 10:53 PM

Signs, was good ntil they actually showed the aliens. Suspence was great. But the ending was probably the worst ending ive ever seen, they literally verbally described it all instead of leaving it to the audience to figure out. Also the water thing was technically BS. Theyre in earths atmosphere moving in a field, there's water all around them !!!!

As far as war of the worlds....i read the book as a kid. I saw the trailers and wasnt too impressed. ill get it on DVD and check it out, but im not expecting much.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani

Exactly. Now I just watched this movie tonight and it wasn't good. It was close to the original story in the very beginning and the very end (i.e. when Morgan Freeman narrated). The rest was utterly made up by the screenwriters.

Or was it? Not quite. Looks like they managed to sit down and watch one of the best BBC sci-fi drama of the 80s. Namely the Tripods. All the scariest scenes from those series was in the movie. This was a waste of time for sure, no suspense, no point. The Tripods TV series was everything this movie wanted to be. Scary, filled with hopelessness and desperate characters who were either fighting an impossible battle, fleeing or had surrendered themselves to the Tripods.

I seriously recommend that series and would like to see a remake in the form of a movie trilogy or something. But I digress. Back to the War of the Worlds.

It didn't bode well when I found myself rooting for the death of that utterly stupid son of Toms character in the movie. When the script/director/actor creates an animosity between the viewer and one of the main characters it is an indication of a bad movie. When that brat wanted to go with the army to fight against the aliens, I found myself saying "please let him go" and to my surprise he went and seconds after he was blasted to smithereens - only to inexplicably show up in Boston at the end of the movie. What?

There were even moments in this movie where it was funny but not because it was supposed to be funny. One scene I remembered made me laugh out loud was when they stood in front of a traincrossing (over a road) and the gate goes down and a train passes by at full speed in full flames - just like nothing is more normal! The caracters don't even mention it. I laughed.

So asides from wasting one's time, ruining the H.G. Wells story, ripping off the Tripods TV series and generally not making much sense this movie was utter crap. I am sorry to say. I love a good alien film and have nothing against remakes, Tom Cruise or Steven Spielberg but this was one fat turkey which left nothing after watching it.

If you want a good and exciting version of this movie (albeit low budget) watch the Tripods.

cheers

W-Y

the tripods movie is coming.People seem to be concerened about this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441811/...c=3;ft=22;fm=1

On a side note does anyone know were i can find HG wells lwar of the worlds radio presentation.And does it have a long running time.And to anyone who has heard it ,is it as scary as they say.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Nov 16, 2005, 11:11 PM

The Tripods movie should be cool. Who knows of the special effects they will invent by 2007.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
the tripods movie is coming.People seem to be concerened about this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441811/...c=3;ft=22;fm=1

On a side note does anyone know were i can find HG wells lwar of the worlds radio presentation.And does it have a long running time.And to anyone who has heard it ,is it as scary as they say.
Cooooooool!!

I hope they keep the original theme. Damn that was a scary theme! Fabulous.. I've got a good feeling about this. The Tripods. Ahhh it looks like they're making a trilogy. Boy oh boy.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 03:03 AM

Well, I enjoyed the movie

There were some aspects I didn't like, but it wasn't like TOTAL sh!t if you ask me.

Now there was a re-make that came before Tom's remake. Not sure what year. 95 maybe, I dunno. My guess is that it was made for tv. It was possibly the single worst film I have seen, save a few desparate others. Seriously... it scuked more than one of those huge-@ss wet-dry vacs. First bad point--boobies in the first 10 mins of the film. WTF?? Theres a time and place for naked boobs, but when they show up in the first 10 mins of a sci-fi flick, that just screams "I am SO desparate for viewer attention!!" Second bad point--seriously. bad. acting.

After that it was just this guy wandering around pitying himself. ...That was one crap-ass movie.

So, by comparison, Tom's remake really wasn't all that bad.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
BIG@SS SIGNS POSTER

I admit it. I liked it.

Obligatory Maddox post: Signs Review
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 04:27 PM

Oh I forgot, my first thought when Tom Cruise comes to his wife's house with his daughter and the aliens ar dying and his son (who should have been dead) comes out to greet him was:

They're all dead aren't they and this is Nangijala* or something. His son had to have died when the Tripods nuked the brat and Tom Cruise died after the grenade stunt with his daughter in the Tripod. It was quite a fall.

I am ignoring the end narrative of course, but then again the screenwriters ignored the original story anyway so who knows if the narrative fits in with the screenplay or if it was just left there so they could call the movie "War of the Worlds"?

*a fictional world in Astrid Lindgren kids books that you go to when you die. Kudos for those of you who get the reference, for the rest it just means the place you go to when you die.
cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2005, 05:40 AM

Actually Nangijala is only featured in "Brothers Lionsheart", not all of her books. /NITPICK

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules