Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LCD recommendations for graphics / DV set up?

LCD recommendations for graphics / DV set up?
konakazi
Jan 5, 2006, 06:01 PM

Hey ho,

Can any LCD owners recommend a good 19"-20" LCD monitor for a DV / Motion Graphics computer set up? I know the Apple monitors are great but they are also too pricey for me compared to some other manufacturers'.

I'm eager to ditch my enormous CRT but dont' really know what models or companies to look out for except for the frequent sales on some Dell models.

Thanks!

Kona

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 5, 2006, 06:20 PM

Samsung LCDs (the higher-end models with DVI especially) are perennial favorites. NEC-Mitsubishi is also superb (again, get DVI).

tooki

konakazi  (op)
Jan 5, 2006, 06:40 PM

Sounds good. Any particular models to look out for? And a "good" price to look out for on them? Always nice to know if you're getting a bargain or being scalped

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2006, 08:59 PM

I like the Dell 2005FPW... a great price for an LCD this size is $400 or lower; anything under $500 is a good price.

konakazi  (op)
Jan 6, 2006, 09:51 AM

The Dells are about all I've been stalking online so far. Are they comparable to the Samsungs mentioned in terms of quality?

I'm kind of leaning away from widescreen since you're actually losing pixels. I might prefer to eventually do 2 19" monitors instead.

For some reason the 2005FPW is always on sale though, and for a good amount less than the 20.1" 3:4 monitor...

Maybe it's a sign.

I am curious about other companies though so if someone can recommend specific Samsung or NEC models that would be a good start for comparison shopping.

Forum Links
Forum Rules