Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best optical/wireless mouse?

Best optical/wireless mouse?
pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2001, 07:28 AM

I'm looking for a optical/wireless mouse for my imac 400dv with 0s 9.2.2,320 mb ram.
What is the best choice?
That will say,software that works out of the box,no extension conflicts or whatever?
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2001, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by pete.z:
<STRONG>I'm looking for a optical/wireless mouse for my imac 400dv with 0s 9.2.2,320 mb ram.
What is the best choice?
That will say,software that works out of the box,no extension conflicts or whatever? </STRONG>
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer is my choice

See another topic about Mac and best mouse available

<John>
Jan 1, 2002, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>

Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer is my choice

See another topic about Mac and best mouse available </STRONG>
I got one of t hese. No installation problems and it works well in OS 9.2.2, but no software support yet for OS X (it works but there are no special functions available). Also the battery life seems a bit short, so it could work out quite expensive in the long run to maintain. I use high quality long life batteries and they only last for about 2-3 weeks in continuous use.

iMan
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2002, 12:23 PM

I have a Logitech optical two button mouse with scroll wheel. I got it for Christmas. It is very nice, I would recommend it.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2002, 12:46 PM

i've had a logitech scroll wheel optical mouse now for about 3 months and it is great (~$30). i chose it over the MS mouse.
the scroll wheel and the right button work nativly in OSX, great in 9.2. excellent for gaming too.
no it isn't the wireless one.

for more discussion on the topic you should search for older threads, this issue has been discussed at great length already.

forgot one thing. the logitech extensions in os9 aren't great, UNLESS you put a "space" before the beginning of each extension. then they work absolutely flawlessly.

there is also a generic usb mouse control panel called "usb overdrive" which is amazing. check out the demo.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: mike one ]

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2002, 02:40 PM

That new Microsoft mouse is the bestest, most comfortablest mouse I've ever used !

vsurfer
Senior User
Jan 12, 2002, 10:44 AM

Kensington mouse-in-a-box optical pro now has scroll wheel support in Mac OS 10.1.2 and recognized by my Linux distro too.

D'uh I need more coffee. it's not wireless - sorry. That would have been my next comment anyway - i'd prefer if it was wireless.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: vsurfer ]

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 12, 2002, 11:54 AM

originally posted by mike one
i've had a logitech scroll wheel optical mouse now for about 3 months and it is great (~$30). i chose it over the MS mouse.
originally posted by iman
iMan I have a Logitech optical two button mouse with scroll wheel.
I have this same mouse,had it for almost a year. I works great, and you can't beat the price, I paid $30, but I'm sure you could catch a sale somewhere and find it for less.

OOOPS , I just re- read the posts, this mouse is not wireless. They threw in the cord for no extra charge. The cord is longer than a normal mouse cord 3 or 4 ft.
I have used cordless mice before and i did not like them, could not stray too far from the base thingy, Perhaps the newer ones fixed this issue.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: mikithecrackhead ]

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: mikithecrackhead ]
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2002, 07:17 PM

I have the wireless/optical logitech. I love it, as far as the MS goes, well I tried both in the store and I just perfered the logitech. It has a right and left button scroll wheel which is also a buttom to adjust the settings for the mouse in 9.2 and a sinlge double click button on the bottom right hand side. I think it is the best mouse I have ever had. It does work natively in OSX right, left, and scroll wheel, yet the single double click button does not work. Logitech does not have any software for X at this time. If your in OS9 you would have all the features of the mouse. I run X all the time and have not problems with the mouse. Oh, I forgot one thing about the mouse that was a problem, for some reason when I launched iDVD it would lock up upon opening. Don't know if they ever fixed this.

I would go to your local store and feel each of them to see how they fit. Obviously if some like the MS it might be good too, see how it fits in your hand; that is what sold me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules