Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple earphones?

Apple earphones?
DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 08:36 AM

Does anyone know why Apple has stopped selling the standard earphones (the ones that ship with the iPod)?

Hunted online and in a few brick and morter stores and they seem to have vanished...

The in-ear ones physically don't work for me - I can't get 'em in my ear canal in a stable configuration.

Suggestions / links welcome.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ael719
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 08:41 AM

I don't have an answer to your question as to why Apple stopped selling them, but I can offer a suggestion. My sister broke her headphones and couldn't find the standard earphones either. She ended up going to the Apple store and finding an Apple brand iPod FM radio remote with the standard headpones.

The only difference is the headphones came with a shorter cord because they are supposed to be plugged into the remote which has a cord of its own connecting to the iPod. I think it cost $50.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

joel_v
Sep 8, 2006, 10:44 AM

for $19 more, u might aswell just get an iPod shuffle.

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 04:23 PM

I'd noticed that one can get the standard remote as an education customer for $35.

Meh. Bought some 3rd party copied. $15.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

graphicman321
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2006, 06:43 PM

those earphone are really bad

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by graphicman321
those earphone are really bad
Seriously. The OP should just buy another brand of cheap earphones. They're not going to be much different.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 12:16 AM

Actually the OEM headphones are better than most average buds. If you're going to buy a set of "cheap" buds as an upgrade, you'll be disappointed. You'd have to spend at least $30 to get a pair of buds that are comparable in quality.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2006, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by torifile
Actually the OEM headphones are better than most average buds. If you're going to buy a set of "cheap" buds as an upgrade, you'll be disappointed. You'd have to spend at least $30 to get a pair of buds that are comparable in quality.
I meant as a replacement, not an upgrade. The OP is obviously not looking for an upgrade.

Here: Amazon.com: Sennheiser MX500 Lightweight In-Ear Headphones (Blue): Electronics

$10 on Amazon, originally retail for $20.

Or have a look at the entire Sennheiser earbud line-up: Earbud - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

It's certainly not worth spending $50 on an iPod FM Radio Remote just to get the white headphones.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 08:53 PM

I was looking at a set of Sony headphones today at the mall. Pretty nice for about $50. I have the ear buds and I'm not crazy about them.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 07:20 PM

If you must have earbuds, this is a good replacement for the Apple ones:

v-moda Remix M-Class Earphones | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews

porieux
Baninated
Sep 13, 2006, 07:54 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:08 AM. )

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 09:54 PM

Well, now we know why they've stopped selling the standard earphones: they've made new ones.
Linkinus is king.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 11:20 AM

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/...196&cat=&page=

$10 used. Ask fellow iPod owners for theirs for free. I love my earbuds and prefer them = it takes a few weeks to fit the ear properly, you need to turn twist them in. I do not like the plug types when running or walking.

Yes, some people like the earbuds.

This place also sells iPod parts.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2006, 07:57 AM

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 05:37 PM

The new earbuds by Apple are awesome. We have replaced our old ones with several brands that all cost in the 20-40 range.

The new buds are smaller and have a more streamlined shape. They have a rubber ring around the edge to keep them in your ear. They dumped the foam pads. And they also have the L and R designation on the stem for easier id.

They sound better than the old ones in my opinion as well. Apple has finally listened to all of the complaints and really improved the standard buds.

I picked a pair of these up today and am very happy. They actually fit my daughters 12 year old ears so I'm probably off to get another pair soon.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 05:35 AM

The new ones are really nice.. I like em. But, if you're interested in some of the original ones... I'm selling some in the Marketplace Forum in the Macnn forums:

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...e-buy-tv-sale/

$13 shipped for one or $20 shipped for two.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2006, 05:24 PM

I think the new iPod headphones still sound like ass. No bass and too much higher freq. sound. My $20 Koss headphones sound exponentially better IMO.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
Does anyone know why Apple has stopped selling the standard earphones (the ones that ship with the iPod)?

Hunted online and in a few brick and morter stores and they seem to have vanished...

The in-ear ones physically don't work for me - I can't get 'em in my ear canal in a stable configuration.

Suggestions / links welcome.
They have a new model out. They are $29 at the Apple Store. They have better bass response, and don't have the little black things. I think they sound better, but I like my Bose Tri-Ports waaaaay better.

spartacus5_
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 07:11 PM

Apple Brand Headphones for iPod $19.47 | 1-800-525-3888

If u dont want used ones, $20 for a brand new pair of the originals.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 08:55 PM

mine are new also, just in case (i guess my post wasn't so clear). $20 for two brand new ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules