Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone wont sync my .mov movies from itunes..

iphone wont sync my .mov movies from itunes..
UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 10:29 AM

I took some video on my Sony camera and downloaded it into iphoto, then dragged them (they're about 3-4 mim. 150-200MB) into itunes, where they play just fine. However, when I sync my iphone (even though I check off sync movies), the movies don't come over.. or if they do, I can't find them in my iphone (ipod) video list..

Anyone have a similar problem?

thanks
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2007, 10:44 AM

Just because something plays in iTunes doesn't mean it will play on an iPod or iPhone. You need to make sure they are in a compatible video format (h.264 or MPEG, and of an appropriate size and resolution). You can try exporting them to the iPhone format using Quicktime.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 02:24 PM

I would highly recommend converting any video you want to view on your iPhone through Quicktime using the Export option and the iPhone setting. It does a great job at making the video a small size while still looking good. Only thing is, you need to have Quicktime Pro in order to do that.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 02:32 PM

iSquint is another video conversion tool that is free and should make videos iPhone-compatible.

This whole multiple-video-formats is really becoming more and more of an issue for Apple. This comes up with AppleTV only supporting a (very) limited range of what iTunes can support as well. And it gets a bit esoteric to get into all these different codecs and containers, for people who just want to watch one of their downloaded videos on their iPod/iPhone/AppleTV.

Perhaps iTunes should automagically convert all videos to h.264.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 05:28 PM

If iTunes did the conversion for you it may be nice, but would likely take some time (especially on longer videos). The wait would be killer for some people, but I don't see how to get around it aside from trying to support all these codecs in the hardware.

Its funny, when you ask iPhoto to sync images into an iPod it downconverts all your images to fit nicely on the screen and you have an option to include all the high resolution images for access via the mounted USB device (ipod/iphone). Not really elegant to have duplicates downsized and stored on your HD. It becomes a nightmare with 5000+ photos and the time it takes to create the smaller size and takes up extra storage space.

For videos the extra storage will become even worse and the time/delay in conversion less bearable.

I don't see a good solution out there. I'm finding it a pain to convert all my videos to be purposed for the iPod. At *least* they should do something to make the conversions built-in rather than requiring you do it manually via Quicktime or other software.

Apple as iTunes which handles videos and movies and music. iPhoto handles photos and video clips (from a device capable of taking video). There isn't a great software for handling movies. I'd like to see them put iPhoto/iTunes together and include movies. Stop calling it one or the other, and just call it iMedia or "Media Central" for that matter (buying/licensing the great product by that name and include iTunes/iPhoto functionality).

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 06:10 PM

Maybe they should put a big, obvious warning of some kind on videos that aren't compatible with their devices, along with a button to convert.

Thibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 05:37 PM

I have converted my movies to Quicktime and as per previous posts, downloaed into iTunes. However I cannot sync them with my iPhone. Am I doing something wrong or is this not feasible? Any recommendations appreciated.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 4, 2007, 05:40 PM

Did you use the iPhone setting to convert them?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2007, 06:12 PM

Open up the video file in Quicktime. Go to File -> Export... and choose "Movie to iPhone". If you don't have Quicktime Pro you wont be able to do it.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2007, 02:13 PM

If you right click on the file in iTunes, it gives you options to convert for the iPod and for Apple TV. I'd try that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules