Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > the new apple keyboard

the new apple keyboard
mr. burns
Senior User
Jan 29, 2008, 08:31 PM

is it just me or do traditional keyboards just feel/look weird after using the new flat keyboard for a while? it took a little getting used to at first but now i really love the new keyboards. i was using a G5 tower today with the old white keyboard that i had originally gotten with my mac pro and it felt really strange lol.

what do you guys think of the new boards?

not all who wander are lost.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2008, 08:53 PM

I love mine, although using the regular one at work keeps me (semi) proficient at using both. I mainly type on the slim one at home, and mainly retouch on the one at work, so I don't cross purposes a lot.

I have to say I wasn't sure about it at first, but I really do like it. I think I type faster, and with a lighter touch.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2008, 09:01 PM

I have the BT model (I have never used the number pad in my life, so no loss) and I love it. I find I can type much faster on it than on a older KB, maybe because I have gotten used to typing on my MB. Only having to deal with one KB layout.
Signature depreciated.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 09:37 PM

I actually bought the wired Apple keyboard for my PC so that I could get a little taste of Mac before I could actually get another one to replace the PC, and I really liked it. My only issue with it was, of course, that I was using a PC and all of the special functions won't work (which I knew before I purchased it).

As far as feel and aesthetics go, it is a winner in my personal book. The key feel was great, much like a laptop, and I liked its weight and the two USB ports.

Trust me, I would replace this Logitech G15 behemoth (which I never really got into using macros on) for the beautiful simplicity of the new Apple keyboard if it weren't for the inability to change volume, etc. on it. I know there is a Microsoft keyboard mapping utility out there, but I still couldn't do anything with those function buttons from within it.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

mr. burns  (op)
Senior User
Jan 29, 2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
I actually bought the wired Apple keyboard for my PC so that I could get a little taste of Mac before I could actually get another one to replace the PC, and I really liked it. My only issue with it was, of course, that I was using a PC and all of the special functions won't work (which I knew before I purchased it).

As far as feel and aesthetics go, it is a winner in my personal book. The key feel was great, much like a laptop, and I liked its weight and the two USB ports.

Trust me, I would replace this Logitech G15 behemoth (which I never really got into using macros on) for the beautiful simplicity of the new Apple keyboard if it weren't for the inability to change volume, etc. on it. I know there is a Microsoft keyboard mapping utility out there, but I still couldn't do anything with those function buttons from within it.
if only there was a way to get a hold of the keyboard driver that comes with bootcamp.

not all who wander are lost.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
if only there was a way to get a hold of the keyboard driver that comes with bootcamp.
...if only!

I like mine very much, actually. I'd rank it as second only to the Matias TactilePro, believe it or not. I have actually quit using the TactilePro because the taller casing and steeper angle was making my wrists uncomfortable. Despite its "chicklet" look, it feels totally solid and I can touch-type on it quite well.

I have both the wired Apple keyboard for my Mac Pro at my desk, and a wireless one for when I (periodically) dock my laptop at my other desk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules