Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > is my monitor dying or aging?

is my monitor dying or aging?
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 08:12 AM

I noticed last night as I woke my computer up from sleep that my dell 2405 monitor was unusually dim, after a period of time it seemed to brighten up. I was working on a website that had some dark blues and blacks and I could not differentiate the dark blue from the black.

Is this the beginning of the end of my 3+ year old monitor or is it just a case of it aging and I'll have to wait longer periods of time for it to warm up and display the correct brightness level. I cannot believe its the end, since its not that old but I figure I'd ask here to see if this is normal or not.

On a side note, how can I tell what type of display this is (TN, S-IPS, S-PVA) and also any monitor being sold now. In case I need to be in the market for a new monitor, I'd like to know what panel is being used, for instance what does apple use for the ACDs

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 08:32 PM

Apple uses S-IPS. Your Dell, along with the new Dells in the 240* series, are S-PVA. If you Google there are sites that list what monitors use what panel types and models.

Forum Links
Forum Rules