Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > verifying music files, removing duplicates

verifying music files, removing duplicates
Zoom
Mac Elite
May 22, 2008, 08:09 PM

This is not a standard "duplicate songs" issue. I have a bunch of MP3s that I imported to my iTunes library a LONG time ago... at least I think I imported them all. I'm also FAIRLY sure I had iTunes set up to copy the files and "keep them organized", which renamed them, too.

So... I want to get rid of the old folders of music, because I'm fairly sure they're duplicates... but how the hell can I be sure?? The file names are no longer the same.

I have Time Machine all set up, so I could try just deleting them all and then force iTunes to rescan (how do you do that?). If there are any broken links, then I could go find the files using Time Machine.... right? (I would be able to match them by name myself, but the names are no longer identical.)

Thoughts?
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2008, 08:21 AM

MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 08:36 AM

Hmmm... maybe... the question is how it checks the files. My guess is by file name, which wouldn't help. Once imported with "organize" on, I think iTunes renames them based on ID3 tag info.

I think my best bet, honestly, is to delete them all and see what comes up missing in iTunes. If I miss something, then I can put it back. I wonder if iTunes will complain if it's just in the Trash - if so, then I wouldn't even have to commit the deletion until I ran the check.

Is there a way to force iTunes to refresh all the files (ie, check for "dead links")?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 08:42 AM

iTunes->Advanced->Consolidate Library

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 09:28 AM

Ah, yes... I know I did that in the past, and from then on I had "copy to library" selected in prefs.

But again, here's the question: will iTunes be smart enough to catch all the duplicates now that the names are different. And I can't even guarantee that the iTunes-generated names are still the same now.

Let's say I have file "track1.mp3" which is really "Master of War" by Dylan (ID3 song name is actually not quite right). Then I "consolidate" and have Apple rename it. It's probably now called Masters_of_War.mp3 or something.

Now, if I were to consolidate again, iTunes may be smart enough to say "hey, after I rename it (again), I see that it's a duplicate".

But what if I fixed the ID3 info after consolidating the first time. Would iTunes fix the file name, too? It should be "Masters of War" (plural). If the file then became Masters_of_War.mp3, then it doesn't appear to be the same anymore.

I've done a LOT of work on my library over the years to get the ID3 info all correct and in sync, so this could happen for lots of files.

I think I've basically talked myself into the nuclear option: delete all these files and see if iTunes complains. If so, resurrect the ones that I missed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules