Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wire Stranding Help Question ASAP!

Wire Stranding Help Question ASAP!
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 10:55 AM

Okay, I'm totally miffed I don't know 110% what this means -- and I can't find crap to explain it online.

ANYWAY, I'm about to snag some stranded hookup wire, and I'm getting 24 gauge at either 7/32 or 19/36 stranding. What I'm pretty confident about is that the "7" and "19" are referring to the number of strands -- but what are the "32" and "36" referring to? I always thought it was a measure of the number of strands per whatever distance (like 32s of an inch or whatever) -- but the "36" is throwing me off.

What in Hades does it mean? Anyone? I'm trying to place my order today, so any help ASAP would be much appreciated!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 11:05 AM

CRAP!

I figured it out.

The second number denotes the gauge of the individual strands, so 19/36 is 19 strands that are 36awg.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2008, 11:24 AM

I read wife stranding and was wondering WTF. The rest of your post was no help either!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 12:00 PM

Good thread.

-t

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks -- I've been planning this one for about 3 years.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 01:06 PM

I swear the the phenomena of finally breaking down and asking a question only to suddenly resolve it yourself within a few minutes is a sub-set of Murphy's Law.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I swear the the phenomena of finally breaking down and asking a question only to suddenly resolve it yourself within a few minutes is a sub-set of Murphy's Law.
True that.

It happened to me more than once.

-t

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 2, 2008, 01:25 PM

This thread is now about attempting to trick Murphy's Law into providing you with the answers you've always wanted.

I'll go first:
How do I cop a date with Jessica Sutta?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 09:14 PM

Back to wire: Does anyone know why one would choose 7/32 vs. 19/36 wire for a given application requiring 24 gage wire? (I do.)

Flexibility. 19/36 wire will bend more easily, but also bend back more easily. If you need "soft" wire leads, use many small strands.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2008, 08:31 AM

Exactly -- this is for my effects pedals, and I wanted the flexibility sans breakage.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Back to wire: Does anyone know why one would choose 7/32 vs. 19/36 wire for a given application requiring 24 gage wire? (I do.)

Flexibility. 19/36 wire will bend more easily, but also bend back more easily. If you need "soft" wire leads, use many small strands.
Cost and size I thought...

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Cost and size I thought...
The size would be virtually identical, as they're both "24 gage" wire. Flexibility and weight are a different thing. More, finer strands means slightly heavier (the final wire is a bit more dense), but these strands are more flexible.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jul 4, 2008 at 06:51 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2008, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The size would be virtually identical, as they're both "24 gage" wire. Flexibility and weight are a different thing. More, finer strands means slightly heavier (the final wire is a bit more dense), but these strands are more flexible.
I was brought to understand that it'll be able to carry the same current as a 24 gauge (not the same size as a 24 gauge as you'd think since, technically, 24 gauge is a size), which means it should have the same amount of copper in it (or actually, slightly more), PLUS, the shielding, so it should be thicker.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2008, 08:39 AM

It's actually a little smaller than normal 24 AWG

Forum Links
Forum Rules