Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Find my iPhone flaw?

Find my iPhone flaw?
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2009, 12:30 PM

I searched here but didn't find anything... when I go on to my iPhone and turn off 'Find my iPhone' service it lets me turn it off. My question is... shouldn't this be password protected or something? If someone steals my phone can that person, assuming they know about 'Find my iPhone', just turn it off?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2009, 01:32 PM

I suppose that's what the general passcode lock is for.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2009, 02:07 PM

I understand that but not everyone uses the lock feature on their phone. This was just an observation I was pointing out.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2009, 04:25 PM

I agree that the "Find my iPhone" functionality should be protected from the thief's ability to turn it off. This is something they probably forgot about in coding the feature. Recommend they correct that!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2009, 05:32 PM

Um.

Vastly simpler than bothering to switch off Find My iPhone would be to just turn the whole damn phone off until it's connected to a computer. I don't think this is a problem worth fixing.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I agree that the "Find my iPhone" functionality should be protected from the thief's ability to turn it off. This is something they probably forgot about in coding the feature. Recommend they correct that!
Thanks

I sent them this suggestion;

"The 'Find my iPhone' switch can be set to 'off' without any password. If the phone is stolen the thief can just turn off this feature without any prompting and 'Find my iPhone' is rendered useless if the stolen iPhone needs to be tracked. Actually this feature should remain hidden and only be able to be activated/deactivated through iTunes. This way no thief would be able to even know that that feature is activated."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2009, 07:08 PM

I like the "through iTunes" twist. Much better than something that's protected by a potentially weak password on the phone itself.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2009, 02:09 PM

I doubt most thieves are this savvy.

Surely some are, but most people finding an iPhone aren't going after iPhones in particular, and thus won't know about these subtle intricacies. They surely won't know about "find my phone" and they probably won't even think to turn it off. Most of them probably won't even know how to turn it off.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2009, 02:34 PM

My point.

And if a thief is savvy enought to know about this, it's quicker/easier to just turn the damn thing off until it's connected to a computer.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
My point.

And if a thief is savvy enought to know about this, it's quicker/easier to just turn the damn thing off until it's connected to a computer.
Hence the other reason for password protecting your iPhone. You can't turn it off if the phone is locked.

ghporter
Today, 12:08 AM
  I like the "through iTunes" twist. Much better than something that's protected by a potentially weak password on the phone itself.
iPhone config utility. Use it so that you can require a strong password rathe than a pathetic 4 digit PIN. One of the great things about the iPhone keyboard is that it is really easy to generate rock solid passwords because of the way you can toggle into non-alphanumerics with ease.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2009, 05:44 PM

Gah, you can turn it off even when it is locked. How fricking dumb is that?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Gah, you can turn it off even when it is locked. How fricking dumb is that?
And here I was thinking that there is finally a good reason for the integrated battery!

I don't see the point in an extra password to turn off find my iphone and more than I see a point in an extra password to read my emails or access any other content. I have the passcode lock set to one minute just for this reason and have it set to auto-wipe after 10 failed attempts.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I don't see the point in an extra password to turn off find my iphone and more than I see a point in an extra password to read my emails or access any other content. I have the passcode lock set to one minute just for this reason and have it set to auto-wipe after 10 failed attempts.
Okay but not everyone wants a password at the startup screen so the only security issue I thought needs looking at is password protecting or hiding the 'Find my iPhone' feature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules