Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Beckapalooza

Beckapalooza
stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2010, 08:04 PM

This is going to be so awesome. 500,000+ nitwits paying homage to the King and Queen of Morons, Sarah and Glen. I understand Glen has ordered six chalkboards for the spectacle. And Sarah will have notes written somewhere on her body, BUT NOT HER HANDS!!! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge! Momma Grizzly, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2010, 08:22 PM

be honest, who here will attend?

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Aug 27, 2010, 09:55 PM

So not this then?

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2010, 10:56 PM

Here's a link to info about the event:

Restoring Honor - 8.28.10

My favorite part:

Originally Posted by The Link
Join the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and many more for this non-political event that pays tribute to America’s service personnel and other upstanding citizens who embody our nation’s founding principles of integrity, truth and honor.
Because you know, when I think of integrity, truth, and honor, the first two people I think of are Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin! Boy, what an honor it would be to be recognized by them for those traits!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2010, 03:58 AM

Buy Gold!

God wants you to buy GOLD!

Restore integrity, truth, and honor. Buy Gold.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 12:40 PM

It's always amusing to me how they go on about how this is a non-partisan thing, when I would be willing to bet that if you were to interview these people the vast majority of them would give the usual conservative answers on gay marriage, the mosque/cultural center, waterboarding, etc.

I have no problem with these sorts of rallies, but I would take them far more seriously if instead of all of this impending American doom stuff it was a little more sincere in saying "we want strong conservatives that support the stuff we care about to vote for next election", which is pretty much what this is really about, which is fine too.. I just could live without the facade and less of all of the freedom and tyranny stuff/hypocrisy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 02:38 PM

This thread is another great example of the bi-partisan discussion culture of the leftist clown-car-brigade.

-t

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2010, 03:23 PM

I think the point of the thread is that the biggest clown car is the one that pulled up to the Lincoln Memorial today. It's pretty clear that clown cars can be built with the steering on the left or on the right...

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
This thread is another great example of the bi-partisan discussion culture of the leftist clown-car-brigade.

-t
CD nailed it, you need to be a little less sensitive...that shell needs reinforcement!

finboy
Aug 28, 2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
Not the clown-cars, but the Kool Aid trucks.

I watched a few minutes this morning, during breakfast, and I was intrigued. I'm most interested in his "media-proof" method for counting attendance.

I'm fascinated by the media version of Glenn Beck Show and the actual Glenn Beck Show and what it's about. I can't imagine any other individual in recent history that has been transformed as much by the media, except perhaps for Barrack Obama (but in the OTHER direction, the media sung his praises before he had anything to praise).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 06:18 PM

You have to admit though, at least a certain amount of Beck's success is him capitalizing on the fear and frustration his base his feeling at this time. His success may not have been reproducible in another era. That isn't to take something away from his success, but I would argue that he's more of an entrepreneur than a leader, as I don't really see an actionable direction he is leading people towards...

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Not the clown-cars, but the Kool Aid trucks.

I watched a few minutes this morning, during breakfast, and I was intrigued. I'm most interested in his "media-proof" method for counting attendance.

I'm fascinated by the media version of Glenn Beck Show and the actual Glenn Beck Show and what it's about. I can't imagine any other individual in recent history that has been transformed as much by the media, except perhaps for Barrack Obama (but in the OTHER direction, the media sung his praises before he had anything to praise).
Intrigued? Interested? Fascinated? Wow. Barnum was right.What planet are you on? Are you just trying to get a scholarship to Beck U?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2010, 09:23 PM

I just picked up Common Nonsense, Glenn Beck and the Triumph of Ignorance by Alexander Zaitchik. Should be an interesting read, even though it's easy to realize he's an entertaining buffoon, who uses emotion, and not logic or reason, to hook the stupid and gullible.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
I just picked up Common Nonsense, Glenn Beck and the Triumph of Ignorance by Alexander Zaitchik. Should be an interesting read, even though it's easy to realize he's an entertaining buffoon, who uses emotion, and not logic or reason, to hook the stupid and gullible.
Alexander Zaitchik is an entertaining buffoon who uses emotion, and not logic or reason, to hook the stupid and gullible?

He should sell a lot of books then.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

finboy
Aug 28, 2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Intrigued? Interested? Fascinated? Wow. Barnum was right.What planet are you on? Are you just trying to get a scholarship to Beck U?
So do you actually have anything to contribute on the issue?

Barnum was right enough that we ended up with the current administration.

The best thing to come out of Beck so far is the obsession he's driven Salon into. They've wasted tons of bandwidth on him, it's been really fun to watch.

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
So do you actually have anything to contribute on the issue?

Barnum was right enough that we ended up with the current administration.

The best thing to come out of Beck so far is the obsession he's driven Salon into. They've wasted tons of bandwidth on him, it's been really fun to watch.
Wait, I thought you were intrigued, interested and fascinated by this turd...You only like him because he's divisive and attracts negative attention? That's pretty sad....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2010, 02:52 AM

crowd size estimate?
45/47

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2010, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
crowd size estimate?
About $10 millions dollars worth.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You have to admit though, at least a certain amount of Beck's success is him capitalizing on the fear and frustration his base his feeling at this time. His success may not have been reproducible in another era. That isn't to take something away from his success, but I would argue that he's more of an entrepreneur than a leader, as I don't really see an actionable direction he is leading people towards...
Really? If his direction is so undetectable, how is it that he garners perhaps as much negative attention from the left that he receives positive from the right? It seems his direction would at least imply... opposite of left.
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Really? If his direction is so undetectable, how is it that he garners perhaps as much negative attention from the left that he receives positive from the right? It seems his direction would at least imply... opposite of left.
I said "actionable direction", meaning that one can't really act on his proposed solutions and expect much to be accomplished productively.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
About $10 millions dollars worth.
He must have took a page from the union/Alinksky play book if he did that.
45/47

screener
Senior User
Aug 30, 2010, 05:22 AM

Beck believers and defenders are morons, period.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
Beck believers and defenders are morons, period.
And you are obviously so smart to provide us with details to document your findings.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2010, 01:08 PM

So, I'm unclear, how exactly are we supposed to restore "honor" to this country? Also, how did we lose our "honor?"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So, I'm unclear, how exactly are we supposed to restore "honor" to this country? Also, how did we lose our "honor?"
We don't pray enough, and we elected a tyrannical government?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2010, 01:47 PM

I'd like to know exactly when the "good ol' days" were and how they shape up to the average quality of life today.

A loudmouth like Beck can whip people up telling them our beloved country is going down the shitter, but when was this golden age? 80s? 50s? 20s? What did we have back then that we have lost now? I'd wager dollars to donuts that an average American life has done nothing but improve over the last 100 years, schmucks like Beck want you to think the opposite but have nothing to back it up.

screener
Senior User
Aug 30, 2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
And you are obviously so smart to provide us with details to document your findings.
You provided the proof.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'd like to know exactly when the "good ol' days" were and how they shape up to the average quality of life today.

A loudmouth like Beck can whip people up telling them our beloved country is going down the shitter, but when was this golden age? 80s? 50s? 20s? What did we have back then that we have lost now? I'd wager dollars to donuts that an average American life has done nothing but improve over the last 100 years, schmucks like Beck want you to think the opposite but have nothing to back it up.

This is a good point.

We are in an economic crisis now, but I fail to see how this means that we have "lost our honor", let alone march passionately about something this wishy washy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2010, 02:16 PM

That's because this isn't really about the good ol' days – it's about control. Conservatives had outright control of the government for 6 years and control of the executive for another two. But since they lost 2008 they decrying the death of this country almost instantaneously. And those values they clamor around and raise to the heavens like a figure to be worshipped - those values have been ignored for a lot longer than January 2009.

But somehow they only became a problem when someone with a (D) got put into office.

If there's one aspect of the tea partiers I agree with, it's their commitment to putting new people into office. Let someone new lie and disappoint us for a change. (Though I'd rather they weren't batshit crazy)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:21 PM

That's because this isn't really about the good ol' days – it's about control. Conservatives had outright control of the government for 6 years and control of the executive for another two. But since they lost 2008 they decrying the death of this country almost instantaneously. And those values they clamor around and raise to the heavens like a figure to be worshipped - those values have been ignored for a lot longer than January 2009.

But somehow they only became a problem when someone with a (D) got put into office.

If there's one aspect of the tea partiers I agree with, it's their commitment to putting new people into office. Let someone new lie and disappoint us for a change. (Though I'd rather they weren't batshit crazy)

Agreed.

When this becomes more about actual non-partisan politics and far less transparent, I might take their motives more seriously.

For example, one central tenant of the tea party movement relates to individual liberties and freedom, right? If you were to survey the vast majority of tea party dudes on gay marriage, should we expect anything but the conservative talking points on this? If they were really about freedom and liberty somebody ought to have noticed this logical disconnect by now, and if they were really non-partisan we'd be hearing a more diverse range of opinions now as well.

That being said, I, like you, would be happy to clean house, but just don't feed me a ponies and rainbows sandwich and tell me that it is ice cream.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:25 PM

If you were to survey the vast majority of tea party dudes on gay marriage, should we expect anything but the conservative talking points on this? If they were really about freedom and liberty somebody ought to have noticed this logical disconnect by now
What I don't understand is why some people feel so confident that because their personal life experiences are one way that this is the same for everybody.

I mean, isn't it illogical to go on thinking "no way it is that way, I've never experienced what you are describing, what you are describing is completely foreign to me", and then having strong opinions about what is foreign to you?
Suggest you look at some logical disconnects of your own Bess.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 02:28 PM

The good old times were back when Glenn Beck was a divorced coke head who publicly mocked women for having miscarriages and ping-ponged from city to city talking with racist puppets on the radio. You know, the good old days.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Suggest you look at some logical disconnects of your own Bess.

Maybe so, although I have met and talked with thousands of people

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:33 PM

Maybe so, although I have met and talked with thousands of people
In order to make your argument work, you'll have had to have met and talked with thousands of tea-partiers.

I'm betting you haven't.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:37 PM

In order to make your argument work, you'll have had to have met and talked with thousands of tea-partiers.

I'm betting you haven't.

Although all I'd have to do is claim that I have to defeat this rather weak argument that pertains to all of the people you have met and talked with, huh?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:42 PM

Although all I'd have to do is claim that I have to defeat this rather weak argument that pertains to all of the people you have met and talked with, huh?
I'm just pointing out your logical disconnect Bess.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 02:46 PM

You provided the proof.
Ah, yes. Clear and full of details. And you still don't get it......

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:47 PM

I'm just pointing out your logical disconnect Bess.

We all generalize to some extent, that is fine, you were right in pointing out my generalizing the tea party dudes. However, you seem to quite frequently insist on speaking in absolutes and making everything out to be black or white in a wide range of different subjects.

Your debate arguments would be stronger if you spoke in absolutes a little less often than you do.

Don't say I never tried to help you, hippy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2010, 02:51 PM

...those values have been ignored for a lot longer than January 2009.

I'd say that those values were tenuous to begin with, with some never existing at all. Values are usually touted by the very people who have none. They shove what our values should be down our throats, and then they go cheat on their wife with a male hooker, it's hilariously sad.

Now we have Stalin as a president, according to these loonies, and everything you have ever loved or felt pride about in this country is gone, GONE! I think I've said this before somewhere else, but it was all downhill after Washington.

I wouldn't mind a higher turnover rate for garbage removal. If nothing else it would make passing the blame backwards even more fun.

screener
Senior User
Aug 30, 2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Ah, yes. Clear and full of details. And you still don't get it......
No, you don't get it.
What's that word I'm looking for?
Oh yeah, moron.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2010, 03:01 PM

I'd say that those values were tenuous to begin with, with some never existing at all. Values are usually touted by the very people who have none. They shove what our values should be down our throats, and then they go cheat on their wife with a male hooker, it's hilariously sad.
Morals aside, everything I read and here makes me believe that given a choice between balancing the budget or cutting taxes, Republicans would choose the latter. However all you hear from them is how important the former is.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:01 PM

We all generalize to some extent, that is fine, you were right in pointing out my generalizing the tea party dudes. However, you seem to quite frequently insist on speaking in absolutes and making everything out to be black or white in a wide range of different subjects.

Your debate arguments would be stronger if you spoke in absolutes a little less often than you do.
I only speak in absolutes when I know that the answer is absolute.

The sooner you figure out that I'm genius, the better off you'll be.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:04 PM

Morals aside, everything I read and here makes me believe that given a choice between balancing the budget or cutting taxes, Republicans would choose the latter. However all you hear from them is how important the former is.
Ummm. You realise that you balance the budget by cutting the taxes, right?
Less taxes = more production = more tax take.
Strange but true.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2010, 03:07 PM

Strange but true.
Yeah, we saw how that works under Bush.

screener
Senior User
Aug 30, 2010, 03:12 PM

Or Reagan, or "read my lips" Bush 1

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:18 PM

Yes, it was quite good how he averted the early-2000s recession, wasn't it?
Back in 1999, I'd got you pegged as going down in flames by around 2002.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2010, 03:19 PM

Yes, it was quite good how he averted the early-2000s recession, wasn't it?
Back in 1999, I'd got you pegged as going down in flames by around 2002.
We were talking about budgets, not recessions.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:19 PM

Strange but true.
You balance the budget by removing tax loopholes and pork.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 03:22 PM

Or Reagan, or "read my lips" Bush 1
You mean record deficits under Pres. Reagan, Pres. Bush Sr, and Pres. Bush Jr.

screener
Senior User
Aug 30, 2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You mean record deficits under Pres. Reagan, Pres. Bush Sr, and Pres. Bush Jr.
Pretty much what I meant.
Reagan cut taxes, then had to borrow and ended with a higher debt.
Reaganomics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reagan described the new debt as the "greatest disappointment" of his presidency.[18]
Bush 1 promised no new taxes but then had raise them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules