Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 Weird file disappearances...

OS 9.1 Weird file disappearances...
thor7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2001, 03:02 PM

Hi!

I was having some strange happenings� including an error message at startup that the "USB software for the Apple Extended Keyboard could not be found," instructing me to disable said keyboard if I didn't want to see the message again. I don't *have* an extended keyboard, but the Apple Pro that came with my iMac!). I did a clean reinstall of my system (OS 9.1 on iMac Indigo 500MHz). The weirdness continues. My system "lost" my modem script file (iMac 56k. Found it in Previous System Folder� not installed with "regular" 9.1? Yet, installed when I first put 9.1 on this partition with the same system disks. Strange).

Anyway, everything seems to be running fine, but I cannot open my Apple Remote Access control panel. I get an error message telling me that the "application 'Apple Remote Access' cannot be opened because 'AppleGuideGlueLib" cannot be found."

Say what? I don't recall that AppleGuideGlueLib even being present before. . . . Now, I can't open Apple Remote Access from either of my system partitions� I get that same message. My settings have been preserved (see- I'm online!), but it bothers me that I cannot open the Remote Access CP. Remote Access Status opens and works just fine.

Thanks for any suggestions!
(another clean reinstall?!)

-thor7

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2001, 03:44 PM

something like this happened to me w/9.1.
also needed "appleguidegluelib"...
basically, be sure apple guide is installed & active; apparently 9.1 needs appleguide running (i had removed it in 8.6)

otherwise, some of your need files were in the previous system folder.

hope this helps...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

thor7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
something like this happened to me w/9.1.
also needed "appleguidegluelib"...
basically, be sure apple guide is installed & active; apparently 9.1 needs appleguide running (i had removed it in 8.6)

otherwise, some of your need files were in the previous system folder.

hope this helps...
Thanks- that did the trick. Would've thought. . . ?

regards,
thor7

Forum Links
Forum Rules