Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > .smi images don't mount on OS 9.1?

.smi images don't mount on OS 9.1?
ged
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2001, 02:24 AM

last weekend, after netscape (i think) seriously trashed the system folder on my pismo (oh the hours of trauma!) i updated my system to 9.1. earlier this evening, i was trying to install some software i had backed up as a self mounting image (.smi, which was "stuffit compressed" when created), but the damn thing refused to mount.

the error (#-9405) i get says that "ShrinkWrap was unable to load a component needed to mount the disk image. The Component Manager may not be available."

here's a summary of what i tried using shrinkwrap:
1) .smi created with 'stuffit (r/o) compression' - did not mount
2) .smi, no stuffit compression - mounted fine
3) .img (not self mounting), with 'stuffit (r/o) compression' - did not work
4) .smi, with 'diskcopy compression' - mounted fine

it looks like the problem is with the stuffing (.sit etc. files work just fine, though!). has anyone else had this problem? could some of you waste a minute to see if you can mount stuffit compressed .smi files on 9.1?

and if you have any ideas on what all this means, i'd be glad to hear them.

thanks a million,
ged

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2001, 03:39 PM

do you have the stuffit engine installed in your extensions folder? could be that it needs the extensions to decompress the images.

-r.

ged  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2001, 04:42 AM

> do you have the stuffit engine installed in your extensions folder? could be that it needs the extensions to decompress the images.

i have stuffit installed properly. as i said, dropstuff and expander appear to work just fine. it's just the ombination of self mounting images and "stuffit (r/o) compression" (whatever that is) that won'tmount.

could one of you please, please, please give this a shot and tell me if you encounter the same problem?

many thanks,
ged

Cipher13
Jan 20, 2001, 05:13 AM

Make sure the Aladdin Transaction Engine or whatever it is is installed properly. DropStuff and the like will work without it but it causes probs, especially with images, when its missing.
Also have you by any chance mounted these images in OSX?
Do you have OSX?

Cipher13

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2001, 10:52 AM

Just fired up 9.1 and had no trouble opening, making or trashing .smi files with disk copy and dropstuff.
Also, I do not have Aladdin Transaction or whatever in my extensions folder.

DP550/9.0.4/9.1

ged  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 02:20 AM

> Just fired up 9.1 and had no trouble opening, making or trashing .smi files with disk copy and dropstuff.

hey zac4mac, thanks a ton for trying. just btw, when you created the .smi files, did you set the shrinkwrap 'compression' preference to "stuffit (r/o)" or did you do it with no compression? my problem only seems to show up when i use that particular format...

rjenkinson/cipher13, my stuffit extensions are installed fine. sorry, i should have been clearer in my first response.

thanks for your time guys. i would really like to this issue licked, as i have a *lot* of crap backed up as compressed smis.

Jan 21, 2001, 04:41 PM

I get the same problem with .smi files if I download via Netscape and try downloading several files at once. Its almost as if the files get currupted during download. The same files work fine if downloaded one at a time. And I am on a cable modem, so I don't think it is a speed issue. I hate to blame Netscape, but I may have to.

Mosi
Jan 29, 2001, 06:34 PM

Have the same problems with smi files. But after downloading with IE5, so not to blame Netscape. Until now, I got around it by mounting the images manually with Disk Copy, when Shrinkwap reportete error and vice versa, until now this worked fine. Can it be that the images are assigned to the wrong application during downloading, i. e.a disk copy created image to Shrinkwap?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2001, 12:48 AM

I've had .smi problems since 8.6. I have 6 disk images that will mount fine under MacOS 8.5.1, but not under 8.6, 9.0.4, or 9.1. It's very strange.

Speaking of which, anyone successfully able to hack the MacOS 8.5.1 ROM to work on a new G4?

My absolute favorite MacOS and I can't even run it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules