Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.2

Mac OS 9.2
Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2000, 02:58 PM

Okay, so it's 9.01 with Minuet 9.02. And it is still weeks away. Maybe in time for Microsoft to have Ineternet Explorer 5 ready.

When 8.6 updater came out last May, it was possible to order the updater on CD (also contained other updates) AND a full 8.6 install CD, both were $19 each.

Time for another all-in-one CD.

I pre-ordered AW 6 and it was still three weeks out, headed for final candidate status. About the right time. I have so many updates now to 9.0 that you need a check-list: QuickTime 4.1, MRJ 2.2, Software Update, Audio, OT 2.6, Game Sprockets, OpenGL 1.12 that all came out after 9.0

PLUS to hopefully include IE 5.0 (...and Communicator 5.0?? just for parity?).

When I bought Word 98, I noticed that it had updaters to 7.5, 7.6, 8.0 and 8.5. Really nice. Can you imagine AppleWorks 6.0 have IE 5.0 etc? AND 9.02 updater? Plenty of room left on AppleWorks 6 even if they take it up with 200 MB of clips and video files.

9.01 should designate a minor update. But with 7 (for me) and a total of 10-12 updates (DVD, video, iMovie) if you include IE/OE and Communicator, that's 75 MB or so. Plus whatever USB updates etc. were promised for the original 9.01.

There is no consistency in numbering.
6.0 went through 6.08 or 6.09 in a year? and then it was 7.x while 8.x went 8.5/8.6 and 8.7 should/could but died for worthless new features and changes like Multiuser, Keychain that are weak, have as much prospect as OpenDoc/CyberDog has.

------------------
Gregory Youngs
[email protected]

achipka
Feb 19, 2000, 01:03 AM

I believe if you do some looking around on the net you can find IE 5.0, also the apple OS numbering system has always been in order 0 - 9 its just a matter of getting the updates only some are released on CD. Keep your eyes open for IE 5 its great.

Originally posted by Gregory:
Okay, so it's 9.01 with Minuet 9.02. And it is still weeks away. Maybe in time for Microsoft to have Ineternet Explorer 5 ready.

When 8.6 updater came out last May, it was possible to order the updater on CD (also contained other updates) AND a full 8.6 install CD, both were $19 each.

Time for another all-in-one CD.

I pre-ordered AW 6 and it was still three weeks out, headed for final candidate status. About the right time. I have so many updates now to 9.0 that you need a check-list: QuickTime 4.1, MRJ 2.2, Software Update, Audio, OT 2.6, Game Sprockets, OpenGL 1.12 that all came out after 9.0

PLUS to hopefully include IE 5.0 (...and Communicator 5.0?? just for parity?).

When I bought Word 98, I noticed that it had updaters to 7.5, 7.6, 8.0 and 8.5. Really nice. Can you imagine AppleWorks 6.0 have IE 5.0 etc? AND 9.02 updater? Plenty of room left on AppleWorks 6 even if they take it up with 200 MB of clips and video files.

9.01 should designate a minor update. But with 7 (for me) and a total of 10-12 updates (DVD, video, iMovie) if you include IE/OE and Communicator, that's 75 MB or so. Plus whatever USB updates etc. were promised for the original 9.01.

There is no consistency in numbering.
6.0 went through 6.08 or 6.09 in a year? and then it was 7.x while 8.x went 8.5/8.6 and 8.7 should/could but died for worthless new features and changes like Multiuser, Keychain that are weak, have as much prospect as OpenDoc/CyberDog has.

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2000, 10:10 AM

Hey achipka, you wanna quit with all the quotes already.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2000, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by slider:
Hey achipka, you wanna quit with all the quotes already.
HAH! -- just taunting you slider.
Yeah, it would be nice if we could get an updater CD with all those crazy updates (god, I have so many now I could never keep track of them all). And, since we don't have any removable media included with the new macs, its only reasonable that Apple make one available to registered OS9 users.

Oh Gregory,
I am a programmer. Our company uses those numbering systems to represent our INTERNAL builds of our software. So, as has been mentioned above, those numbers jump around based on which build ends up actually being released to the public. For instance, we make a new build each week but only release a build once per month. So, someone updating our software will get 6.5.31 and then 6.5.35, 6.5.39 etc. If we found a horrible glitch in 6.5.35 we would fix it, and make 6.5.36 for release (which would throw off the numbering yet again). Undoubtedly, Apple makes new builds of its software on a regular basis but only certain ones get the 'stamp of approval' from their quality control and actually get burnt to a CD and shipped out to customers (or posted as an update on their website).
Whenever 9.03 is finished, it will be given approval and released. If they find a horrible error in it before the release it, they will probably make the fix and still call it 9.03. If they find the problem later on (maybe even before its sent to the public) they will fix it and most likely change the name to 9.04. -- its really based more on the progression of their code internally (of course, their are exceptions 9.0 was originally goint to be 8.7 but they changed the name so they could call their next big update 'X' which they wanted to use because it sounds cool and helps to point out the MAJOR structural change between the current OS lineage and the new one)

Gregory  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2000, 04:06 PM

I should have been clearer -

A. Let's see a CD - there is 75MB worth of updates to expect.

B. Although 7.x and 8.x series OS went on .1 - .6 we are back to what Apple did with 6.01 - 6.08.

C. Microsoft does a better job than Apple at providing updaters (ie Word 98 includes lots of Apple OS stuff).

D. The timing would make it efficient for IE and Apple OS 9.03 to make it onto ONE CD installer.

OS and software numbering is numbing. use to mean something (and still does in some places) but is now marketing dominated for the most.

I would have Minuet as 9.1 and those minor updates to support new G4, iBook and PowerBook as 9.0 Release 2 or 9.01 or something. Then there are some that wouldn't even change - it's still OS 9. Norton even used the "time" of the date of creation (under Get Info) as the version (aka 2.02 AM for version 2.02).

A CD installer knows (hopefully) what to install and what order. QuickTime 4.1 plus Sound Manager 3.6.5 plus Audio 1.1.3 etc. Or maybe a choice between QT 4.03 and 4.1 (guess we need a 4.1.1 now).

AND... no annoying restarts after each. Ever done an install and wanted to shutdown, but wasn't an option? Shareware installers that offer Quit and the chance to go to Extension Manger or CC 8 to make changes - see if it installed junk (even now someone reported an installer placing OSL).

The iMac was the Network Computer, backup to server, no one copying stuff off. Only now is there firewire. The lower slot that could support a SCSI card got killed. Maybe USB 2.0 with nearly 400 Mbps offers what today's USB devices lack - reasonable speeds for backup, archiving, a contender to replace SCSI. Seeing how much trouble USB devices have been for iMacs with 9.0 let's hope and assume that these extra two months are productive, or mean the iMac itself is fately flawed (the G3 & G4s don't have trouble with USB Zip etc) - and a redesigned iMac II (right, really, been there, done that Mac II, IIx, IIcx) numbering scheme.

Greg

achipka
Feb 19, 2000, 05:11 PM

Alright lets see Mac OS 9 updates have been number as follows so far 9.0.2, 9.0.3b2c, and 9.0.4f. As for the update CDs ADC members are being shipped the updater CDs in about two weeks. For those people installing the updates u should be aware of the following 9.0.2 has an internet comp. problem that is corrected with 3b2c. Ram Doubler and Speed doubler are not Compatable with the Mac OS updates.

Linda
Feb 20, 2000, 10:44 PM

There used to be GREAT CDs that had all the updates you could possibly want, including Mac OS, on them. They were the CDs that come monthly with MacAddict!

Then Apple decided that they were going to control the distribution of updates, and MacAddict was not allowed to put the 8.6 update on its CD. I wonder whether they'll be allowed to distribute 9.1?

Do check the MacAddict CD for slews of other updates and freeware and shareware, though...all in one handy disk.

trock44
Feb 21, 2000, 05:18 PM

So does anyone know where I can download the 9.0.2 update? Thanks.

- Tom

Gregory  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2000, 05:30 PM

When "Minuet" comes out, you'll hear about it. And it will be 9.03. There is no 9.02 except, according the MOSR, on some of the new iBook and G4 and PowerBooks introduced last week.

And don't bother with pirated illegal beta copies that may be floating around - there always are and it is just bootleg. When Apple is ready, there will be a mad haste of million users to download and try to swamp Apple's servers.

Greg

Avon
Senior User
Feb 22, 2000, 03:05 PM

That is not true, the IS a 9.0.2!!! I am using it right now. It came on my G4 that was shipped Friday and that I recived monday.

Avon
Senior User
Feb 22, 2000, 03:07 PM

Please disregard my last post, it was already mentioned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules