Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > FTP server on Ti400 in 9.2

FTP server on Ti400 in 9.2
nick h
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2001, 04:18 PM

I was wondering how I could set up a temporary FTP server on my G4 PowerBook in Mac OS 9.2. I tried messing around with the control panels (AppleTalk and File Sharing) but I couldnt figure it out. Does someone know how to do this?

Thanks,
Nick
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

Worboren
Oct 30, 2001, 04:50 PM

There's no way to my knowledge how you can do it using the tools that come with the system software in OS 9. There's a lot of solutions, starting with the Apple's own Apple Share IP plus a ton of third party ones, but I just searched on versiontracker and couldn't find a single free one. You might go for it if it's not a prob. Alternatively, you might want to go for Hotline or Carracho which are free, and peanuts to setup but it's not really FTP. Or afaik under OS X you can set up an FTP server using the unix cl solutions but I'm afraid I'm no help here.

nick h  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2001, 06:16 PM

What is Hotline? I think I used it once to get something form a friend, but I don't remember. Basically, I need to use my computer as a "middle man" so 2 other friends can upload and transfer file b/t their PC's.
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

Cipher13
Oct 30, 2001, 06:21 PM

If OSX is an option, its easy.

If not there are a fair few free ftp servers for OS9, or so I thought...

Either way, I recommend Hotline. www.bigredh.com - its the fastest and simplest you'll find.

Forum Links
Forum Rules