Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DVD player 2.6

DVD player 2.6
OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2001, 06:38 PM

I hear that v2.6 of the Apple DVD player rocks. Does anyone have more info on it? Is there anyone with a new iBook who would be willing to put it up on their iTools?
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Rick58
May 31, 2001, 07:20 PM

---------------
I hear that v2.6 of the Apple DVD player rocks. Does anyone have more info on it? Is there anyone with a new iBook who would be willing to put it up on their iTools?
-----------------------------
The new iBook has a *hardware* DVD decoder ... I don't know if 2.6 will get you anything, if you have an iMac or earlier iBook.

OverclockedHomoSapien  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2001, 01:35 AM

Are you sure about that? If it can access the ATI Rage mobility DVD decoder, why not the ATI decoders on cards like the Radeon? And why would Apple suddenly go back to using hardware decoding when they've been using software decoding? I'd like a DVD player that uses the DVD decoder on my Radeon, but it seems that Apple has some reason to to do so.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2001, 08:21 PM

The new iBook does not have hardware DVD decoding. The software DVD decoder software uses the ATI chip for DVD hardware assist but this is what every 2.x Apple DVD player software does with the included ATi or nVIDIA cards.

Personally I don't notice any difference between 2.6 on my iBook and 2.5 on my G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules