Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > my computer is acting slow....

my computer is acting slow....
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2001, 06:31 PM

whenever i type...be it in a browser window or an email or an AIM window, it inputs the text really slow, other actions (opening a pulldown menu, minimizing or maximizing a window) occur normally. why is it doing this? help!

imac 600mhz, OS9.1, 512mb ram, etc.

Cipher13
Aug 8, 2001, 08:39 PM

It seems you've got a background process running taking CPU idletime.
Perhaps.
Using the software Peek-A-Boo, could you list the running processes?

I'll talk you through it on AIM if possible.

Other causes for this are low system memory (not likely in your case), and it can also be brought on by using OSX...

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2001, 10:45 PM

hmm. i think shes all better after a restart, but whats a software peek a boo?

Cipher13
Aug 9, 2001, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
<STRONG>hmm. i think shes all better after a restart, but whats a software peek a boo?</STRONG>
Peek-A-Boo is a program which allows you to see all processes running (appl, appe, init, etc), which are 'invisible', or background processes - such as your printers printmonitor, and other things.

It allows you to launch and terminate processes - no need to reboot to activate an extension - use PAB to load it.

One of the coolest features though is it allows you to control the CPU time given to apps - their priority.

I, for exmaple, tell PAB to give my DNET Client the highest priority; when sending email, Netscape gets the lowest so it doesn't bog down the computer.

And so forth...
Sound like a temporary memory issue (system heap?) problem if a restart fixed it.

<anonymous>
Aug 9, 2001, 10:18 AM

By Cipher: 'It allows you to launch and terminate processes - no need to reboot to activate an extension - use PAB to load it.'
If that's true, I'll have to get that. Never heard of not having to reboot to ACTIVATE EXTENSIONS that were turned off during previous boot-up

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2001, 09:35 PM

I'll second that-- Peek-a-Boo's a pretty spiffy little program for shareware. I like the memory graph at the top, and it lists total free ram as well as largest unused block, and shows each app's location in ram, so if you need to free up a big chunk, you can figure out what to kill. It lists launch time, and total uptime for eveything, too. I last restarted my Cube 3 days, 1 hour, 7 minutes, and 2 seconds ago.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

<anonymous>
Aug 10, 2001, 12:25 PM

I was kinda kidding before, Peek-A-Boo indeed sounds great, but not sure it can activate disabled extensions on-the-fly like that (without rebooting). I use 'Memory Mapper' which can do almost as much as PAB, but is a slightly better value.

Forum Links
Forum Rules