Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple gives 12-inch MacBook new processors, faster RAM

Apple gives 12-inch MacBook new processors, faster RAM
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 19, 2016, 09:14 AM

Apple today updated the 12-inch MacBook with the latest Intel processors, improved graphics performance, faster flash storage and an additional hour of battery life. The updated MacBook features sixth-generation dual-core Intel Core M processors up to 1.3 GHz, with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.1 GHz, and faster 1866 MHz memory. Apple claims that Intel HD Graphics 515 standard in the new model delivers up to 25 percent faster graphics performance.

Connectivity remains unchanged, with 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 4.0, a headphone jack. and a single USB-C 3.1 (generation one) port with speeds still limited to 5Gbps. The display is 2304 x 1440, with external displays up to 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz supported.

Apple claims that the improvements in power handling allowed by Intel's new chipset allow up to 10 hours of wireless web access, 11 hours of iTunes movie playback, and up to 30 days of standby time. The battery is rated for 41.4 watt-hours.

The MacBook is now available in four aluminum finishes - gold, silver, space gray, and for the first time on a Mac, the same rose gold as found on the iPhone and iPad. The machine weighs the same as its predecessor, and is the same size.

The new 12-inch MacBook is available through Apple.com starting today, and in Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers starting tomorrow. MacBook comes with a 1.1 GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.2 GHz, 8GB of memory and 256GB of flash storage for $1,299, and with a 1.2 GHz dual-core Intel Core m5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.7 GHz, 8GB of memory and 512GB of flash storage for $1,599. Configure-to-order options include a 1.3 GHz dual-core Intel Core m7 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.1 GHz.

jpellino
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2016, 09:42 AM

MBA 13 buying is currently borked - Apple Chat seems to indicate they're refreshing that store piece too.
Just sayin'

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2016, 09:59 AM

Sigh, another yawner from Apple—thin and pretty, with a new rose-colored option, as if computers were jewelry. Sorry, but still not what I'm looking for. I am a writer and a book designer. I want a practical tool to replace my white MacBook and prior-generation Mac mini, not one of these Sir Ives artistic monstrosities. Apple really does need to create a new computer group and staff it exclusively with engineers. Set them to work creating Macs for schools and work-a-day people. Give us a sturdy laptop and a component desktop with upgradability. You don't have to advertise them. Just make and sell them.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 19, 2016, 10:02 AM

jpellino - All MBA13 configurations now have 8GB of RAM.

While Apple's success belies Inkling's continued drum-beating, I'd really rather the MacBook had been given at least full USB 3.1 and not the half-speed version it retains, if not Thunderbolt 3.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2016, 10:55 AM

What's funny is that you have to wonder that if inkling requires replacement for his old white MacBook and a previous-generation Mac mini, why he isn't using a 13" retina MacBook Pro to complain about Apple's limited choices.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2016, 11:20 AM

There isn't a single area in which even the entry level MacBook wouldn't outperform his obsolete white one, of course, but I guess he prefers tilting at windmills.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Charles Martin View Post
There isn't a single area in which even the entry level MacBook wouldn't outperform his obsolete white one, of course, but I guess he prefers tilting at windmills.
The keyboard is horrible. But I'm reaching and its purely personal preference.

But yes as a pro user, Apple certainly cater for him with the 13in retina MBP. Available in silver. Or silver.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2016, 11:41 AM

William and I -- as the two around here who pound out the most words -- don't own the MacBook, but we've both tried the keyboard on it and not had a problem with it. As you say it's a personal preference, and I'm not normally a fan of low-travel kb's, but I felt I was more accurate typing on the MB keyboard than my usual Apple Wireless one. Hopefully I'll get more of a chance to evaluate.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2016, 12:24 PM

Interesting to see the logic board on new MacBook 12" is getting smaller which contributes to larger room for battery and for longer hours usage. Fast forward to the distant future, MacBook logic board would be 1% of the entire volume. And Apple Watch would no longer looking like the first iPod in thickness.
( Last edited by coffeetime; Apr 19, 2016 at 12:43 PM. )

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Apr 19, 2016, 01:33 PM

I'll be wondering how this compares, to say a 13" MBA, especially in terms of graphic performance. I'd love one of these as my next laptop, but it's gotta be able to play Minecraft. (One of my friends has the previous gen MB - in it's highest config - and he said it can do it, but it's kind of an edge case. Assuming this is enough of a bump, that might just do it. And, my current 13" MBA falls in the the OK/acceptable range.)

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
While Apple's success belies Inkling's continued drum-beating, I'd really rather the MacBook had been given at least full USB 3.1 and not the half-speed version it retains, if not Thunderbolt 3.
While I don't agree on this particular point (I'm quite happy with Apple's laptop line!) with Inkling, I don't think any of us are disagreeing about Apple's current quarterly financial success. We're worried that they are running off previous brand momentum and short-term profit/financial tradeoffs which will one day (longer term) come back to bite them.

I agree on the USB port though. If it had TB3, then it *might* be possible to some-day add an external GPU to solve the above concern for me.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2016, 04:48 PM

I am waiting for highest-end Skylake. Any thoughts on Skylake MBPs? Rumors?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 19, 2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I am waiting for highest-end Skylake. Any thoughts on Skylake MBPs? Rumors?
WWDC or thereabouts.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2016, 09:08 PM

SierraDragon: you should really try reading our Rumor Roundup column.

Current speculation is just before or during WWDC. My guess would be before.

Since the MB didn't come with the "real" USB 3.1 that I want, I'm looking back towards the MBP too.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

kserman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2016, 03:34 AM

Tim and Jony are always busy taking pictures for the press, traveling everywhere and occupying their time with global warming, gay rights, politics, human rights, privacy etc. instead of staying in an office and working on new products and listening to Apple's customers. They were able to take orders from Steve but left unsupervised their are both a disaster and their are killing Apple. Look at the mac mini and mac pro. Look at these mess of product line up and naming. All the product are mixed up with old and new parts, old and new names. Let's wait another year or two and see if they can get a laptop done right. Tim is an accountant and Ive thinks software design is skinny fonts and everything transparent. He also thinks hardware has to be light and skinny at the expense of functionality. I hope someone like Elon Musk or Dorsey takes over and fires both of them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2016, 04:20 AM

Because Steve spent all his time building what customers were asking for...

Everything Apple is doing today was started as a trend under Jobs' helm.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 20, 2016, 08:25 AM

I'm surprised that there's not a 900 MHz efficiency option. No "Macbook Eco." :shrug:

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post
Fast forward to the distant future, MacBook logic board would be 1% of the entire volume.
How close is it to 1% already?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 20, 2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by kserman View Post
Tim and Jony are always busy taking pictures for the press, traveling everywhere and occupying their time with global warming, gay rights, politics, human rights, privacy etc. instead of staying in an office and working on new products and listening to Apple's customers.
They are. This is the class of machine Apple's customers want, whether we like it or not.

They were able to take orders from Steve but left unsupervised their are both a disaster and their are killing Apple.
Even if Apple takes a massive hit this quarter, it'll still be doing better than it was when Steve passed away.

Look at the mac mini and mac pro.
I'll give you the Mac Pro, but the Mac mini is what Apple's new customer base wants. Appliance computing.

Look at these mess of product line up and naming. All the product are mixed up with old and new parts, old and new names. Let's wait another year or two and see if they can get a laptop done right. Tim is an accountant and Ive thinks software design is skinny fonts and everything transparent. He also thinks hardware has to be light and skinny at the expense of functionality. I hope someone like Elon Musk or Dorsey takes over and fires both of them.
The MacBook Pro Retina is what you want, not the MacBook. Just because the MB isn't for you, that doesn't mean a thing.

The latter isn't going to happen. Sites like MacNN, AI, 9to5 cater to the vast, vast minority of Apple customers. Sure, we want the xMac, or the slab-side Aluminum tower back, but it. is. never. going. to. happen. Apple's customers WANT light and skinny, and don't care about ports. Apple sold more iOS devices worldwide than everybody else Windows devices for the last year.

Apple won, but it's not "our" Apple -- and that's just the way it is. You can rail against it, and say that Apple's not listening, but they are. Just not to "us."

We can deal with it, adjust to it, or we can go elsewhere.

pigmode
Apr 20, 2016, 11:18 AM

A new Macbook with 80-90% faster SSD sound like a pretty sweet upgrade.

The expectation for faster processor speeds, is so last era. Its going to be a while till new technology, fabrication processes, and concomitant software adaptation can come into play. Intel has already thrown in the towel, for timely upgrades. Apple?

Forum Links
Forum Rules