Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > KGI: New MacBook Pros, 13-inch MacBook to debut later this year

KGI: New MacBook Pros, 13-inch MacBook to debut later this year
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 24, 2016, 01:08 AM

Hit-or-miss KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has used his latest research note to advise KGI investors that he believes Apple is prepping all-new and thinner 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros for a Q4 launch, while it is also planning a Q3 launch of a 13-inch variant of the 12-inch Retina MacBook it recently refreshed. Ming-Chi also said he expects that the MacBook Air line up will not receive further updates, as Apple looks to position it as an entry-level tier, sitting beneath the 12- and 13-inch Retina MacBooks. According to the analyst, the launches of the new flagship MacBooks will be the "brightest spot" in Apple's 2016 product line up, as he has previously played down the forthcoming "iPhone 7."

As MacNN predicted earlier this year, the new 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros are said to be much thinner and lighter, taking advantage of the new slim and reversible USB-C ports, while they will also integrate Intel's latest Thunderbolt 3 standard. They will both also follow the design lead of the 12-inch MacBook, which Apple has repeatedly called its "vision of the future of the notebook." Ming-Chi also believes that the new MacBook Pro models will feature the low-profile keyboard used in the MacBook line, underpinned by Apple's proprietary butterfly mechanism. It also seems likely that the new Pros will also pick up other features that debuted with the 12-inch MacBook, including less power-hungry Retina displays and terraced internal batteries.

In what might be a more radical departure from previous MacBook Pro designs, Ming-Chi predicts that the new Pros will feature a secondary touchscreen display using OLED technology, that will feature as "control strip," sitting above the keyboard, that will replace the function buttons. He also believes that Apple will integrate Touch ID into the new MacBook Pro models, although it has been suggested that Apple might integrate this feature via a user's iPhone, with remote Touch ID support as a software update to OS X and iOS. According to Kuo, the new MacBook Pros could also feature a new metal-injection mold hinge that will further facilitate the overall thinness of the design.

Although no additional details were provided about the 13-inch Retina MacBook, the rumored screen size will be a point of interest. A 14-inch Retina MacBook would fit in more seamlessly with Apple's lineup, as it would join 12-inch, 13-inch and 15-inch models. However, as the 12-inch Retina MacBook is designed as an ultra-compact ultra-portable notebook, Apple may think that a 13-inch model offers the sufficient additional screen real estate without compromising on its overall portability. This could also pave the way to phasing the 13-inch MacBook Air model out all together, leaving just the 11.6-inch MacBook at the bottom end of Apple's line-up as the entry-level MacBook offering.

"While long overlooked, the MacBook line is the brightest spot for Apple's 2016 rollouts," Kuo writes in his research note. "This is particularly true of the two new MacBook Pro models, to be introduced in 4Q16, as they will have a thinner and lighter form factor, Touch ID, use OLED display touch bar (to replace physical function keys, located above the keyboard) and adopt USB- C [and] Thunderbolt 3."

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2016, 08:42 AM

Once upon a time, Apple computers justified their higher prices by being better engineered and shipping with features that had to be added to computers from other companies. That's no longer true. Are these new laptops going to be fixable and upgradable? Will they get an iFixIt rating above 2 on a 10 point scale? Will they have more than one of two ports, so users don't have to lug about a stack of adapters to do anything useful? Will Apple build in cellular data or GPS for those on the go? All those are why people get laptops. No, they'll just be thinner and perhaps be cluttered with new features included just because they look pretty to the artsy types. When I buy a laptop, I want a useful, hassle-free tool for work. More and more, that means not buying a Mac. And each generation gets worse. Sir Ives the Anoxeric doesn't make tools for working people. He makes jewelry for the parasitic upper Manhattan litterati. They adore him. Those of us who must work for a living loathe this thin-is-all madness. If I want thin, I'll buy a knife not a Mac.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 24, 2016, 09:08 AM

You've mentioned that a few times. Two factual corrections, though:

All those are why people get laptops.
That is why you buy a laptop. Some of those are relevant to me as well. However, those are not even remotely universal truths.

More and more, that means not buying a Mac.
Or anything else. Look at the market. See what's being bought. Your repairable units? They're the gross exception, rather than the rule.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 24, 2016, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
Hit-or-miss KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo ... predicts that the new Pros will feature a secondary touchscreen display using OLED technology, that will feature as "control strip," sitting above the keyboard, that will replace the function buttons.
Let's hope it's a miss, or we'll know Apple truly has jumped the shark.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 24, 2016, 09:57 AM

It depends. If the user can customize what's displayed there, and functionality of same, like some of those fancy keyboards that were all the rage on Kickstarter a few years ago, I can get behind that.

kserman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2016, 11:27 AM

Apple product line up is so confusing with each laptop having old and new features combined randomly. Still Apple laptops don't have touch screens, LTE and more. But hey they will be thin with only one port and come in pink gold!

MacBooks should only have different screen sizes but retain the same features on all of them. Same for the iPhones and iPads.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 24, 2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
It depends. If the user can customize what's displayed there, and functionality of same, like some of those fancy keyboards that were all the rage on Kickstarter a few years ago, I can get behind that.
Oh, I thought it was talking about a section on the screen. If this were some kind of programable function key row on the keyboard, where they could be customized, I guess that would be nice (as it's a somewhat useless row of keys currently).

Originally Posted by kserman View Post
Still Apple laptops don't have touch screens, LTE and more.
Why would you put a touch-screen on a laptop?
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Once upon a time, Apple computers justified their higher prices by being better engineered and shipping with features that had to be added to computers from other companies. That's no longer true. Are these new laptops going to be fixable and upgradable? Will they get an iFixIt rating above 2 on a 10 point scale?
10 out of 10 customers prefer a device that doesn't break over one that is repairable. The only hardware problems I've had over the past four and a half years:
1. defective after-market RAM (no longer replaceable).
2. defective hard drive (no longer an option).
3. wonky battery (still authorised-repair-center-replaceable).

Will they have more than one of two ports, so users don't have to lug about a stack of adapters to do anything useful?
Yes, they will. I have yet to meet a "professional" in my extended industry who doesn't carry a bunch of adapters and cables around at all times, anyway. Who gives a crap if one of those cables is replaced by one with a different connector or dongle at one end?

Will Apple build in cellular data or GPS for those on the go? All those are why people get laptops. No, they'll just be thinner and perhaps be cluttered with new features included just because they look pretty to the artsy types. When I buy a laptop, I want a useful, hassle-free tool for work.
When I buy a laptop, I want a useful, hassle-free tool that will run the software I need, and not break my neck when I carry the damn thing around all day, every day. Every half-pound shaved off my bag, without a loss of power or functionality, is a win for me.

I saw no need to replace my iPad 2, for example, until the iPad Air 2 came out, and was substantially thinner and lighter. This was a real advantage to my back, and one I was prepared to spend money on.

I'd love a SIM slot or built-in Apple SIM on the MacBook Pro, though.

More and more, that means not buying a Mac. And each generation gets worse. Sir Ives the Anoxeric doesn't make tools for working people. He makes jewelry for the parasitic upper Manhattan litterati. They adore him. Those of us who must work for a living loathe this thin-is-all madness. If I want thin, I'll buy a knife not a Mac.
Good for you.

Stop pontificating as if you spoke for anybody but your own lone self.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by kserman View Post
Apple product line up is so confusing with each laptop having old and new features combined randomly. Still Apple laptops don't have touch screens, LTE and more. But hey they will be thin with only one port and come in pink gold!

MacBooks should only have different screen sizes but retain the same features on all of them. Same for the iPhones and iPads.
Why?

What's confusing about different lines having different feature sets/sets of compromises?

Buyers' guide for Apple laptops:
1. Choose series with feature set least disagreeable to your usage scenario.
2. Choose from available sizes.
3. There is no step 3.

Vulpine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2016, 05:14 PM

"Are these new laptops going to be fixable and upgradable?"
Since when has any Mac been "fixable and upgradable" beyond upgrading RAM? Apple hasn't intended for their machines to be user-serviceable since the Apple IIe was shut down.

"Will they have more than one of two ports, so users don't have to lug about a stack of adapters to do anything useful?"
Why lug a stack of adaptors? Do it all wirelessly; that's the way Macs are designed today.

" Will Apple build in cellular data or GPS for those on the go? All those are why people get laptops."
You're kidding, right? None of those things are why people buy laptops; they buy tablets for that!

A laptop is nothing more than a portable desktop; that's all it's ever been. You want mobility then buy an iPad.

Vulpine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2016, 05:15 PM

"Are these new laptops going to be fixable and upgradable?"
Since when has any Mac been "fixable and upgradable" beyond upgrading RAM? Apple hasn't intended for their machines to be user-serviceable since the Apple IIe was shut down.
---------------------------------

"Will they have more than one of two ports, so users don't have to lug about a stack of adapters to do anything useful?"
Why lug a stack of adaptors? Do it all wirelessly; that's the way Macs are designed today.
-----------------------------

" Will Apple build in cellular data or GPS for those on the go? All those are why people get laptops."
You're kidding, right? None of those things are why people buy laptops; they buy tablets for that!

A laptop is nothing more than a portable desktop; that's all it's ever been. You want mobility then buy an iPad.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 25, 2016, 10:58 AM

I sure as hell hope the Q4 forecast is wrong, we were hoping for WWDC announcement. Skylake MBPs are already way overdue and my associate has been just nursing her old MBP along waiting for the upgrade. All we need is Skylake, USB-C and the latest Thunderbolt.

Super-thin is irrelevant for those of us buying the very top end of desktop-replacement laptops, but Siri and fingerprint security would be big pluses. 32 GB available RAM would also be nice if Apple did not (as usual) screw us on the RAM pricing.

My friend is forced to buy because her MBP is dying, but my 2011 17" MBP still works, so Apple needs to again give us a true heavy-duty desktop-replacement laptop if they expect folks like me to upgrade.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; May 25, 2016 at 11:13 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
May 25, 2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Stop pontificating as if you spoke for anybody but your own lone self.
Just ignore him.

In the meantime I'd like to see what this touch bar is going to look like and how they'll use it. Will it be a "3D touch" bar? Heck I've been craving a picture of the new Pro MacBooks for like 4 months. Do we have any idea what they'll look like?

Forum Links
Forum Rules