Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > WWDC: macOS Sierra, iOS 10 to drop older devices [u]

WWDC: macOS Sierra, iOS 10 to drop older devices [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 13, 2016, 04:35 PM

Apple is generally good at supporting older devices with its new operating system updates, but it can't always do it. Often, older Macs and iPhones or iPads just won't get the benefit of all the new features, but sooner or later there are requirements in the newly-named macOS or iOS that preclude certain older machines. [update 10:17PM ET with some confusion on Apple pages about devices capable of running the new iOS 10]

Having offered a very wide range of support with OS X 10.11 El Capitan (for Macs stretching back to 2006) and iOS 9 (for devices stretching back to the iPhone 4s and iPad 2), the forthcoming system upgrades will require somewhat newer devices, though still stretching back for quite some years. The summary is that the oldest iOS devices you will be able to install macOS Sierra on are from late 2010. The oldest Macs are from late 2009.

iOS

Listed as able to run the forthcoming iOS 10 will be the iPhone 5 from September 2012, the iPad 2 from March 2011, and the iPad mini from November 2012 are the oldest devices in their respective categories that will be upgradeable. The rest of the named iPad devices Apple says users will be able to update are: iPad (third generation), iPad (fourth generation), iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad mini and iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 4. For phones, it's the 5 and later, including the iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE. The fifth- and sixth-generation iPod touch is also included on the list for iOS 10 compatibility, according to an updated list from Apple that includes models not shown on the company's slide of compatible devices seen at the keynote.

Update: However, newer press materials for the fall release of iOS 10 claim that "iOS 10 will be available this fall as a free software update for iPhone 5 and later, all iPad Air and iPad Pro models, iPad 4th generation, iPad mini 2 and later, and iPod touch 6th generation." This stands in contrast to the preview pages, which includes the original iPad mini, 5th generation iPod touch, and iPad 2 and 3. We have reached out to Apple for comment, and will update this post accordingly.

Macs

For Macs, the oldest machines you can update are the iMac late 2009, Mac mini 2010, and Mac Pro 2010. There is also the MacBook, late 2009, MacBook Air from 2010, and the MacBook Pro from 2010. The new macOS Sierra will be available in beta form from July, with an expected fall final release alongside iOS 10.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM. )

benj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2016, 04:51 PM

Oh yeah that screen flashed up there for a brief nanosecond - probably so the audience wouldn't gasp. I saw that and i was like wait -what -phew (i have a 2011 iMac)
"Merrily, we roll along."

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 13, 2016, 04:55 PM

The compatible device list has changed on us a few times since the keynote too.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2016, 05:53 PM

You mean my mid-2007 white MacBook is no longer supported? "I am shocked. Shocked." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME Does Apple still plan to reduce macOS on the same day as iOS? Their servers choke everytime they do that. It typically takes me two or three tries to get a download.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2016, 06:52 PM

You may not be aware, but there is no law nor any reason for you to download all of the OS releases on the same day (I generally don't). Given that iOS is at least 100x more popular than macOS in terms of installed active base, I'd suggest you download macOS on day 1 if you're keen to get the latest thing quick, and give the iOS download a miss for a few days. Problem solved!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2016, 08:59 PM

Well, poop.

One family iPad (second gen) and my Mac mini server (C2D, mid-2009) are now casualties of the march of OS progression.

The good news is that my 16 year old G4 Yikes! is still trodding along with 10.4 and serves a great many purposes.

Can't wait to try out the new macOS; it looks pretty slick!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 13, 2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
Well, poop.

One family iPad (second gen) and my Mac mini server (C2D, mid-2009) are now casualties of the march of OS progression.!
iPad 2 is fine (it was originally stricken). C2D mini is not.

Doodpants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2016, 08:27 AM

"The summary is that the oldest iOS devices you will be able to install macOS Sierra on are from late 2010."

Um, what?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2016, 09:22 AM

Great news, but... I'm not sure I want iOS 10 on my iPad 2 what with the way iOS 9 performs on it!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 14, 2016, 01:01 PM

Yeah, well, you don't have to worry about it. We just got our fifth compatibility list from Apple.

Apple revises iOS 10 compatibility list, re-drops older models | MacNN

Forum Links
Forum Rules