Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > End of the road for MacNN: 21 years of changes for Apple, and for us

End of the road for MacNN: 21 years of changes for Apple, and for us
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 20, 2016, 06:06 PM

Cast your mind back to the spring of 1995. Apple was making Macs -- the last of the Performas, among other models -- and the Clone Wars were already underway, all while MacNN was starting out as a serious journal covering Mac technology. Nothing has changed since then, and yet everything has changed: Apple is now a cultural force, it's shaping new industries, and it's even making some money now, we hear. From when the company was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and irrelevance, to the crowning of Apple as the most valuable and influential tech company in the world, MacNN has been there. As of July 1, Apple will carry on -- but MacNN will not, we're sorry to say.

It's kind of amazing we made it this far - only TidBITs and MacWorld are older and still around - but we've been told we're packing it in. We've joked before that Apple becoming a huge mainstream company is the worst thing that ever happened to us, but it's true: there's less need for an Apple-specific news site when news about Apple is plastered everywhere, on every site, all the time. This is not the sole reason why we're having to give up our comfy home (and just after repainting it, too!), but it's part of the reality we've been working in.

That's why we've focused on continuously improving our content and quality, and guess what: it worked -- over the past few years, we gained more readers, more page views, and strove to keep our ads relevant and non-annoying . It worked, but the powers that be have said we have to go. We won't bore you with the details, but we wanted you to know that this team -- under the guidance of our senior staff -- have done tremendous work under often-difficult circumstances for the past few years.

We're extremely proud of the quality and quantity of features, columns, podcasts, original content, and news reporting and analysis. We know from your feedback, public and private, that we've kept you interested and engaged -- and that is much appreciated. We will absolutely miss it, even on days when we are running on live-event adrenaline and iced coffee.

As mentioned, we'll be around through the end of the month, and we hope you'll stay here until then -- we plan to continue our coverage of major Apple news, though we'll be ratcheting down our columns and such. We'd like to tip our hat to the other Apple-Mac news sites -- they have never been thought of as our competition, more a part of a larger family. As a reminder of just how long we've been around, here's a little image of our early days -- we've come a long way.

The way we were, circa 1999
The way we were, circa 1999

Two of our current staff -- reviewer Bradley McBurney and editor Charles Martin, by coincidence our two Canadians -- have been here the longest. Bradley just celebrated nine years with us, and Charles was with the site in the early days, left to work for Apple marketing and other places for a while, and returned in 2010, giving him a total of about eight years on the crew. We also salute all those former staffers, most of whom have gone on to greater heights. You may see some of us doing the same, with any luck.

Special thanks must go to our Managing Editor, podcast co-host, and general herder of cats, Mike Wuerthele -- if there's one person who has worked tirelessly to keep us upright in the quicksand of the website business, it's him. The rest of our regular crew -- reviewer Amber Neely, utility infielder and best-selling tech author William Gallagher, lead newswriter and One More Thing co-host Malcolm Owen, reviewer and commenter Sanjiv Sathiah, and AV whiz and reviewer Bradley McBurney -- have all done stellar work.

Over the remaining 10 days, we'll have features from some of our regulars talking about their own best pieces and those they like to point to as an example of the work we do. Since none of our readers can read everything we put out in the course of the years, we'll link back to these, and we hope you'll take a moment to go back and catch up (or re-read) some of our top stuff. After all, they were written for you.

-- Charles Martin, editor

David Esrati
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:11 PM

Now where will I go for Mac news?
Macintouch is kinda on it's last legs-
This is sad- this site has kept me up to date on so many things - for so long....
Thanks for everything.
David Esrati
The Next Wave
937-228-4433

ccoulson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:11 PM

Really sorry to see macnn go as you have provided a lot of good content over the years. Unfortunately, I have had to shift to other sites as doing away with the "Headlines" view just didn't work well for me.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2016, 06:13 PM

Just want to be one of the first to say that I'm genuinely saddened by this news. Although my grizzled veteran status says I joined in 2001, it's longer than that. MacNN is the only site I visit every day! I'll miss you guys.

Stay frosty.

Spotted_Dog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:14 PM

So long and thanks for all the fish!

jeffnudi
Jun 20, 2016, 06:16 PM

Thanks for all the great years. Sorry to see you go.

imacdan1
Fresh-Faced Recruit

I will definitely miss you guys..you have been my home page for a really long time..thanks for all your quality work...and the best of luck in your future endevors

CIA
Mac Elite

macnn.com (and more recently legacy.macnn.com) has been in my morning news tabs for as long as I can remember. (17 years!!) I'm sorry to see you all go.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

BradMacPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:17 PM

Sorry to see you go. Thanks for the info all the years.

sidewaysdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:19 PM

So long and thanks for all the fish?

How ironic that Apple's success changed the perceived value of MacNN in the end, after toughing it out in the early days when the rest of the world was busily dancing on Apple's grave.

Thank you for providing a perspective on Apple news that was more interested in personal value and utility instead of breathless reports on the latest shiny trinkets and gew-gaws.

ADeweyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:23 PM

So sorry to hear this. I guess the glory days of Mac-centric news sites was the early 00's - everything from MacCentral to As the Apple Turns. I've been coming to MacNN just about every day probably since before the turn of the century. In my days doing computer support (thankfully behind me), www.macnn.com was the address I used to test internet connectivity.

Thanks so much. I'm really going to miss you!

makemineamac
Jun 20, 2016, 06:24 PM

I too will miss this site dearly. You have been my go-to for so many things related to the things I love, you'll be impossible to replace.

I also really appreciated the fact that there was never a political slant here in any of the articles, unlike some other sites.

I wish you all the best and you have my sincere thanks for all you've contributed to Apple news coverage for all of us. Thank You!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 20, 2016, 06:25 PM

Thanks gang, I'm sure this was a hard decision for ownership to make.

Now, as far as our attitude? Sure, some of us will go to other sites, but I expect our pragmatic views on things will remain.

Stay tuned until July 1. I'll keep you all up to date.

JeffHarris
Jun 20, 2016, 06:32 PM

Wow! What a bummer.
But, what a great run!
Thanks for all the info over the years!!!!
You WILL be missed!

I've been a member since the beginning, but I'm still listed as a "Fresh-Faced Recruit". Could never figure that one out.

boffodennis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:33 PM

I've been around since the beginning, and I cannot imagine making it through the nightmare that was the mid to late 90's without MacNN. You guys have been a wonderful daily stop for me, and I can only imagine what's going on in the background at MacNN HQ.

All the old sites - MacNN, Macintouch, The Boffo, AppleInsider, MacRumors, MacOS Rumors... I miss them all.

Thanks for the memories. Thanks for live reporting from MacWorld. Thanks for everything. I'll miss my daily fix.

If you decide to start something else up, let a guy know.

macmedia1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:37 PM

This is incredibly SAD news!!! I've been a loyal MacNN user (this is my #1 top blog) since close to the beginning. I'm already going through withdrawal - as bad as losing a close friend! Where am I going to go to get my news???

PJL500
Jun 20, 2016, 06:37 PM

You were there witnessing the revolution and writing about it... now Apple is becoming a mere (good) device company... tweaking it's products and usually behind in innovation... and it's products are lacklustre - Mail, Music, iTunes, iMovie, Garageband etc. Mostly unexciting or verging on bloatware.

So your work is done. Thanks, 'will miss the excitement you brought to tech journalism; y'all will continue to do well in other fields.

I-ku-u
Jun 20, 2016, 06:41 PM

It's a pity that the most objective tech site I follow, however focussed it may be, is the one closing down.

macmedia1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 06:42 PM

Before MacNN, it was MacWeek and I would look forward to the weekly issues. MacNN was even better in that I got hooked on up to the minute news with a good layout (meaning the legacy version). Never cared for the new redesign - I want my news in an easy to read layout with none of the bling. I'm rambling - already miss this site!

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2016, 06:42 PM

Think its been years since I last posted here, but seeing as the site is leaving it's my last chance...

Though I don't use the forum much I've been actively reading the articles, not sure how I'm going to replace that... Best of luck to those moving on...

Chito
Senior User
Jun 20, 2016, 06:50 PM

Thanks for everything through these many years. It's been a good ride!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jun 20, 2016, 06:56 PM

Oh my... a sad day for the Mac community. I'm going to miss you folks... a lot! Since you started the podcast, it's now become so much more personal... getting to know the writers.

You're sure it can't be rebranded to applenn or iapplenn or something? One can hope.

My best wishes for all the staff. I hope something even better comes of all of this for each of you.

Originally Posted by I-ku-u View Post
It's a pity that the most objective tech site I follow, however focussed it may be, is the one closing down.
Very much my feelings as well. A lot of news outlets are more like advertising, even in the articles. MacNN has always done a good job of real reporting.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

cashxx
Jun 20, 2016, 07:00 PM

Very sad to hear this news! I visit multiple times a day as Macnn is one of my favorites in my Safari Apple Favorites Bar folder where I open all my Mac sites into new tabs and check constantly through the day. Sad to see you all go!

prl99
Senior User

I've had macnn bookmarked for many years, however, I didn't like the new website. It was too messy with too much material to view at one time. Maybe this was the last gasp effort to keep going. Thanks for years of news and good luck in your collective next adventures.

blshaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Any chance this is a belated April Fools joke? I've visited MacNN several times a day, EVERY DAY, for many, many years. It's the uppermost site in my bookmarks. What are we to do? There's no other Apple-centric site that can hold a candle to MacNN. Please, please let this not be true.

monkeeknifefight
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Bummer. You and DealMac are/were my daily go-tos. You'll be sorely missed.

@sidewaysdesign: Geeky reference. Use the Google.

tbanucci
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 07:01 PM

I've followed MacNN since it's inception! That's 21 years of never missing a MacNN day! Thank you so much for all of the news you have given to me, going to miss you!

Ted

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2016, 07:02 PM

What's the word I'm looking for here...uh...uh...SUCKS!

edac2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 07:02 PM

Certainly you're not closing because there isn't enough Mac news to report on; you're chock full of news and reviews. I'd have to guess it's because ad revenues are down. Is there no way to cut back on the amount of new content without closing up entirely? This is very sad news.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2016, 07:04 PM

"Welcome, - - e r i k - -.

You last visited: Sep 4, 2011 at 08:42 PM"

Oops, sorry. I feel like I had some part to play in this. Sad to see you go. Thanks for the memories!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 20, 2016, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by prl99 View Post
I've had macnn bookmarked for many years, however, I didn't like the new website. It was too messy with too much material to view at one time. Maybe this was the last gasp effort to keep going. Thanks for years of news and good luck in your collective next adventures.
The new website design had a positive impact on everything, but not enough. Too many external factors.

Appreciate the kind words, and well wishes!

reciprocity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 07:19 PM

Very sad news! I'll miss the site, but hope to read your material elsewhere.

Chris_Rogers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 07:22 PM

Really sorry to hear this. I met you guys at a trade show in Las Vegas many years ago and have been reading your columns ever since. Your website is one of the first I go to EVERY morning. Thank you for all your time/hard work and God Bless. :o)

iggyfan66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 07:39 PM

Bummer.... I have been coming to MacNN for years ever since I ordered my copy of OSX Public Beta, and have always checked you guys out first for news and articles re: Apple Inc. I'm sad to see you go, but I wish you all the best of luck for the future. Thanks for all the great info you have served over these years!

malax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 07:40 PM

Thanks for your stories over the years. This is the end of an era.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2016, 07:53 PM

Well that's a major bummer!

dogle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 07:56 PM

I never post on hardly any newsgroup, user group, or anything along these lines, and rarely even participate in social media at all. Hopefully that speaks to the significance of this post, and my statement that MacNN was one of the ONLY websites I checked for Apple news. I'm an IT consultant, primarily serving Mac clients, both personal as well as SMBs, and it's a job requirement that I know the latest about as much as I possibly can, and although I listen to gobs and gobs of podcasts (I don't have much time to actually read very much using my eyeballs), I still found out and learned about at least as many things via MacNN as any of the other sources I listened to or visited.

I'm going to miss MacNN, and wish everyone the best of luck. And PLEASE don't consider MacWorld as a quality, Mac News publication that outlasted you. They aren't anymore, and therefore they didn't. Considering their example, I guess MacNN is doing the right thing in being transparent to the public and shutting down, instead of trying to pretend it's good at something it no longer does well (at least in whole, I'm not saying there aren't quality contributors over there, but hopefully you get my point).

Thank you for all you've done, you'll be missed!!!

NickChapin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 08:11 PM

As a daily (often more) visitor I am indeed unhappy. Who's going to finish the "This Week in Apple History" column? (I was actually expecting a book from that in another six months.)

Thanks for all the great articles, pointers, reviews, et cetera. I wish you all well!

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2016, 08:18 PM

Noooo! I've been a MacNN reader for at least 17 years. I'm very sad to see you go. Are there any plans on hosting the Macnn Forums somewhere? If not, I would be glad to do so - please email me at the email address on my account (timmerk on here or the forums).

SolarSaves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 08:18 PM

It's often sad to see an old friend move away... You are one of the few sites I visit almost daily, for many years. Thank you all, you will be missed, best wishes for good futures.

@sidewaysdesign read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and you'll find that quote. Really, read it, you probably won't regret it...

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2016, 08:35 PM

Aww bummer.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 20, 2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by NickChapin View Post
As a daily (often more) visitor I am indeed unhappy. Who's going to finish the "This Week in Apple History" column? (I was actually expecting a book from that in another six months.)

Thanks for all the great articles, pointers, reviews, et cetera. I wish you all well!
There's some details we're still working out about ongoing columns.

Pretty confident that it will be concluded someplace.

papercode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 09:17 PM

This tragic news has forced me to login for the first time in a long while. MacNN has been a daily read for me since the 90s and I feel you're as relevant now as you were back when AAPL was doomed. Thank you all, past and present, for your efforts. You will be sorely missed on this display. May you all land on your feet and go on to greater things.

amiller77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 09:27 PM

MacNN was also my homepage for close to 10 years (a somewhat embarrassing admission, as a national news page might be more appropriate). Although recently I've been exploring elsewhere for a homepage for Apple news due to the way MacNN has changed the past two years, I still went to it nearly daily, and I'm sorry to see you go.

jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 09:44 PM

Wow...

Crap.

Best wishes to everyone (writers, staff, etc) that have made MacNN one of the few sites I've visited *daily* since the 1990s on everything I've owned from a Centris 650 to an iPhone.

Not many web sites I can think of that I still visit today that I started visiting so very long ago. MacNN, the quality and passion you all put into this site will be greatly missed!

If there's anyone we can send angry, ok, angry yet polite, emails to, feel free to let us all know.

Sigh.

Damnit.

Good luck to everyone at MacNN, whatever comes next, and THANK YOU!

The Full list? The FULL list of Apple products I've **owned that I've read MacNN on???

Centris 650 24, YES *24* MB Ram!!! (wish i'd kept it when I moved)
PowerBook G3/300
PowerBook G4 550
*PowerMac G5 2x2.3GHz
MacBook Pro 15
*iMac 27"
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4S
*iPad 4 (1st w/ Lightning, last before Air)
iPhone 5
*iPhone 6
*MacBook Pro 15 Mid 2012 non-retina

* Still in daily use
** I'd lost count of the Macs I didn't own, but read MacNN on at one time or another, but many iMacs and MacBooks, (a few supped up Performas, Quadras, and PowerMac G3s too) covering every generation of each, I'm sure, would be represented...

aSevie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 09:54 PM

Wow, I started visiting macnn in 96', it was macnn, macintouch and macosrumors, it's been part of my routine since then! Ironically, most of my other go-to sites have disappeared as well. Thanks for the decades of info!

cvbcvb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
The new website design had a positive impact on everything, but not enough. Too many external factors.

Appreciate the kind words, and well wishes!
I've been around since the beginning. Sorry to see MacNN go. Now I have to change the homepage for all my browsers...

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2016, 10:33 PM

Sorry to see you go -- I visit daily, if for nothing more than to catch up on what's new in the world of Apple and only within the general world of Apple.

Thanks for all the great news, level-headed journalism, and excellent community. It will be sad to see you guys go.

buddhistMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2016, 10:36 PM

It's kind of... a bummer. I've been coming here daily pretty much since the beginning, and I even have a dedicated keyboard key that loads the site. I appreciate the decades of dedication, and I wish everyone who made this site great a happy landing.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2016, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
Sorry to see you go -- I visit daily, if for nothing more than to catch up on what's new in the world of Apple and only within the general world of Apple.

Thanks for all the great news, level-headed journalism, and excellent community. It will be sad to see you guys go.
Thank you all for the many quotes like the one from DCQ above. We've been flattered beyond belief by how far and wide the news has travelled and your kind comments. We're still rather shocked ourselves, but we hope you'll stick around for our last 10 days. We've still got a little more left to give!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules