Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can I put an iMac HD inside my Performa 6300CD?

Can I put an iMac HD inside my Performa 6300CD?
gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2001, 05:16 PM

I've got a hard drive left over from when i upgraded my imac dv hard drive to 40gb. I was just wondering if i could put that hard drive inside my performa 6300CD, so that i can use it as an mp3 computer or the like. The interface is identical right? So it should work.... I'm just a bit hesitant because i never bothered to open up the 6300, so i have litte idea of its' hardware configuration. So anyway, hope somebody knows if it'll work or not. Thanks.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 05:47 PM

yeah, it should work. physically that is. don't know how the Performa will react to that OS on that particular Hard drive, but its worth a shot..
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 06:05 PM

It'll work. I put my imac hard drive with 9.1 in my performa 6400.

gto47  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2001, 06:28 PM

yeah i don't need the OS to work, i'll probably format it anyway. i've got all my mp3s and data on cds now anyhow

thanks!

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: gto47 ]

gto47  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 12:16 AM

The performa refuses to recognize the drive. Should I set the jumper to limited space or whatever it is. What does that setting do anyway?

Any suggestions.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2001, 12:49 AM

What OS version are you running? Did you set the jumpers on the drive to slave? Are you running this as a second drive, or as the only drive?

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: KarlG ]
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

gto47  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 05:19 PM

I've booted off of the 7.5x cd that came with the machine, as well as an os9(generic) cd that i have. In neither case does the macine recognize the drive. Since the machine has only one hard drive bay, don't have the option of using a slave. The hard drive however is definitely setup as "master" because it was in the imac before i put it into the performa, and i hadn't changed the jumpers.
So what about limited capacity? Anyone know?

Cipher13
Nov 6, 2001, 09:46 AM

Switch the jumper setting to 'single' mode.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2001, 03:36 PM

Just so everyone knows, for future reference,

This wasn't an iMac forum topic. This was a Mac Modification topic, or an Older Systems topic.

next time, PLEASE put these topics in the correct forum. Thank you.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

gto47  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2001, 06:30 PM

Vmarks, i originally posted, to see if anyone knew the specifications and compatbility of the imac drives. That was why i posted in the imac forum. The subject has, however, turned into a matter of setting the jumpers properly, and thus does now belong in "older systems and clones." Thanks for moving the forum here, as teh people here may be able to provide better knowledge towards configuring the drive for use in the 6300.

Allright, to answer your questions.

I want to put the drive into the 6300 as a master, with no slave drives.
The jumpers on the drive have not been tampered with since i took it out of my imac, so i can only assume that they are already set to "master" or "single". I've hooked in the drive twice, checking connections and such. I am positive that the drive is functional. I tried it in a PMG4, and it worked fine.
So what's the deal, is it incompatible. How can that be. It's ATA, has the same ide connector. How can it not work.
One thing i did do was try the 6300's stock drive in the pmG4. It failed to recognize the drive. (I did this by unhooking the existing drive and plugging it in as master as i don't know how to set this drive's jumpers) The stock performa drive is a conner 1.25gb drive. I think that company has been gone a while, so i can't exactly get the specs for that.

gto47  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2001, 05:57 PM

Come on guys. Hate to be a nuiscense, but the problem remains unresolved. Please help!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2001, 06:09 PM

I'm thinking your computer simply does not recognize the drivers for the disk...... try putting in the old hard drive and finding a Firmware update for you machine (if its exists).

Thats all my brain can come up with.

kpttripp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>Just so everyone knows, for future reference,

This wasn't an iMac forum topic. This was a Mac Modification topic, or an Older Systems topic.

next time, PLEASE put these topics in the correct forum. Thank you.

Victor Marks
[email protected]</STRONG>
Nice older system Victor, shouldn't you be in the g3/4 section with that suitcase.

kpttripp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by gto47:
<STRONG>I've got a hard drive left over from when i upgraded my imac dv hard drive to 40gb. I was just wondering if i could put that hard drive inside my performa 6300CD, so that i can use it as an mp3 computer or the like. The interface is identical right? So it should work.... I'm just a bit hesitant because i never bothered to open up the 6300, so i have litte idea of its' hardware configuration. So anyway, hope somebody knows if it'll work or not. Thanks.</STRONG>
What system OS is on the imac hardrive, I don't know much but I know that the imac system disk with MacOS 9 is not compatible with my powerpc 7500 and I have spent along time trying to find a way to use that disk but no can do. Just a thought maybe it will boot with a 8.6 that's all.

gto47  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2001, 05:42 PM

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...y_1.1_Info.txt

would this firmware do anything. IT's an update of some kind. To correct a problem with 1.25 gb drives, which is the one in my machine. Maybe it would also permit the other drive to work. Only problem is i dont' have 7.6 on the drive, and i dont' have os8.0 either
or a system profller im thinkin this aint gonna work

apple's old software update page (so conveniently listed) http://www.info.apple.com/support/ol...twarelist.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules