Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Pesky DP4 Installation error...

Pesky DP4 Installation error...
outZider
Jul 25, 2000, 11:41 AM

Okay. So we're doing some compatibility testing over here. My primary machine is an iMac DV 400, happily running X DP4.

So, we need to start testing on other machines.

I keep trying to install DP4 on a Blue and White 400, with an Adaptec SCSI card, two internal SCSI drives, standard video. About 1/3 through the install process, InstallerX gives me an error like "WARNING: These patterns were not matched:" and that's it. When I check the Log, it errors out while decompressing starting at ./cores.

I've tried installing on both drives with no luck, reformatting and not, and different partition sizes. Anyone else have a problem with this? How did you work around it?

- oZ
- oZ

X Freedom
Jul 25, 2000, 12:56 PM

Just for the record:
"Darwin 1.0.2 doesn't support the following:

* Powerbook G3 (Bronze keyboard) with SCSI hard disk
* ATTO SCSI cards
* Adaptec SCSI cards
* DEC ethernet cards
* FireWire devices " http://publicsource.apple.com/projec...n/release.html

So it it ain't support by Darwin your not going to get it to work in OS X. I just had to use ain't
Originally posted by outZider:
I keep trying to install DP4 on a Blue and White 400, with an Adaptec SCSI card, two internal SCSI drives, standard video. About 1/3 through the install process, InstallerX gives me an error like "WARNING: These patterns were not matched:" and that's it. When I check the Log, it errors out while decompressing starting at ./cores.

I've tried installing on both drives with no luck, reformatting and not, and different partition sizes. Anyone else have a problem with this? How did you work around it?

- oZ

------------------
The goal of Project Freedom is to point users to solutions which brings the classic feel of the Mac OS to Mac OS X. (Mac OS X) Project Freedom

outZider  (op)
Jul 25, 2000, 01:45 PM

interesting....

i thought i've seen a load of systems with Apple's SCSI solution (i.e. adaptec) running DP4.

great. oZ is pissed.

- oZ
- oZ

X Freedom
Jul 25, 2000, 04:31 PM

They might have been running DP4 but on the IDE drive.

------------------
The goal of Project Freedom is to point users to solutions which brings the classic feel of the Mac OS to Mac OS X. (Mac OS X) Project Freedom

anonymous
Jul 25, 2000, 04:57 PM

Keep in mind that Darwin 1.0.2 is not what is currently being used with Mac OS X. There have been quite a few updates since that was released in early April. DP4 was released over a month after Darwin 1.0 was, so additional SCSI support could have theoretically made it by then (or you might have seen a newer build, if it was Apple demonstrating it). I don't think I've seen it running on a system with SCSI so I'm not sure what's in DP4 as far as that goes.

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2000, 07:14 PM

My G4 happily runs DP4 on the Ultra2SCSI drive that I got from Apple.

ralph_dp4
Jul 25, 2000, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by outZider:

- oZ
Hi,
just for the record: I'm running DP4 on a G3/300 b/w from an external 4GB-SCSI drive (Adaptec 2930U card) which works quite nicely. On the internal IDE drive I run OS 9.04 and OSX Server on a seperate partition. I heard some folks say that SCSI does not work with DP4, but I already ran DP3 with the same setup on the same disk. I always prefer installing experimental stuff like the various DPs on a separate external drive that I can turn off so that it is never able to interfere with my production environment. Try to install offline (without an active network connection) onto an HFS+ volume in order to avoid confusion with your current production environments (just being careful) and try to kick off the installation from a previously installed MacOS 9. If this does not work, try booting off the CD (the HFS "classic" portion of the installer does not do much except reboot the machine with MacOS X and set the Open Firmware). If nothing helps, retry the installation with an additional IDE drive, just to see if the installer works at all, or wait for the beta, we all hope and pray that It's really just around the corner.
NB: did you upgrade the machine's firmware some time ago? Which version is it? Can you install OS 9?

X Freedom
Jul 25, 2000, 10:20 PM

Well I am working on a Project to get Darwin to boot on a non supported machine... I the process I did find something that might help.

If you ftp into ftp.apple.com/devworld you will see a MacOSX folder. In it is a SCSICardUpdater. It is a worth a try to see if that helps.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules