Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger to require built-in Firewire

Tiger to require built-in Firewire
BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 11:19 AM

I took a picture of the WWDC Tiger installation. It will supposedly require built-in Firewire, and a DVD Drive.

Screenshot

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 11:24 AM

Yea...so now 3 of the computers i help update will be unable to use Tiger because of the DVD drive and Firewire. Well, the 300MHz iBook runs fine with Panther so I can't complain too much.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 11:26 AM

No doubt the DVD drive is required simply because Apple will ship Tiger on a DVD disc.

Chris

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 30, 2004, 01:49 PM

So let's see -- how many models does this actually leave in the dust (compared to Panther):

-tray-load CRT iMacs
-Lombard PowerBooks
-the short-lived lowest-model slot-load iMac (which is architecturally identical to the other slot-load models, so it might work anyway)
-the earliest iBooks

Yeah, I think that's it.

Well, no offense, but upgrades notwithstanding, none of those models is fast enough to run any version of OS X well -- sure, it works, but it gets bogged down really quick.

I say it's no big loss -- all of those machines are better off running OS 9 anyway, IMO.
tooki

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:52 PM

Since Apple currently ships computers with no DVD drive, I'm willing to bet it's just the developer previews that require it.

mikemako
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Since Apple currently ships computers with no DVD drive...
which ones? All the base models I see come at least with Combo Drive.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 02:14 PM

the DVD Requirement seems like a big deal..

there were a lot of Quicksilver G4's that were configured with a CD/CDRW drive only... before the combo drive was an option.
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Corys:
What part of "Developer Preview" is it that you do not understand? Is it "Developer" or "Preview" that's throwing you a curveball?

Apple has not yet (publicly) disclosed the requirements for Tiger (or, as I like to call it, the non-Developer Preview). Until they do, complaining about perceived requirements is the apex of retardation.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Corys:

there were a lot of Quicksilver G4's that were configured with a CD/CDRW drive only... before the combo drive was an option.
Dont forget the early PB G4's...

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Dont forget the early PB G4's...
Earliest PBG4s (400/500) came with a DVD-ROM. CD-RW was added that fall as an option with the speed bump that took it from 400/500 to 500/667. Combo Drive was added as an option a month or so after that.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 30, 2004, 02:33 PM

Note that the requirements specify built-in FireWire (that is, no PCI cards). It does NOT specify built-in DVD drive, so it's quite possible that, like every other version of Mac OS (9 or X), it can be installed from a FireWire DVD drive. (The only FireWire Macs this would not work on is the Blue and White G3, which cannot boot from FireWire or USB.)

tooki

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 02:33 PM

Well, if these requirements are true then my good 'ole iMac won't be able to run the latest version of OS X for much longer. It was the first iMac with FireWire and DVD-ROM drives.

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
if these requirements are true
Repeat after me:

"Tiger exists now only as a Developer Preview. The hardware requirements for the shipping product will probably be announced at MWSF 2005."

You'll still have five months or so to complain after they're announced. Why start now? The requirements have already been finalized�just not announced�so complaining isn't going to do any good anyway.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by mikemako:
which ones? All the base models I see come at least with Combo Drive.
Education only eMac has (or had until really really recently, anyway, I haven't checked in a bit) a CD drive.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Well, if these requirements are true then my good 'ole iMac won't be able to run the latest version of OS X for much longer. It was the first iMac with FireWire and DVD-ROM drives.
And the requirements are DVD-rom and built-in firewire?

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
And the requirements are DVD-rom and built-in firewire?
Does anyone even bother reading the thread before posting?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
What part of "Developer Preview" is it that you do not understand? Is it "Developer" or "Preview" that's throwing you a curveball?

Apple has not yet (publicly) disclosed the requirements for Tiger (or, as I like to call it, the non-Developer Preview). Until they do, complaining about perceived requirements is the apex of retardation.
No kidding. The requirement of a DVD drive could just be Apple trying to save money by putting the DP on a DVD disc and only making one disc to give out free to WWDC attendees instead of three.

As for FireWire, if the final version requires it, then you may have reason to complain, but at the moment, we don't know that these are the final requirements. It may just be that they haven't coded support for the older hardware into whatever changes they've made to IOKit yet. Tiger is still in a very, very early state.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
As for FireWire, if the final version requires it, then you may have reason to complain
When Tiger ships, all Macs without built-in FireWire will be at least four years old.

Much like when Panther shipped, all Macs without built-in USB were at least four years old.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:19 PM

I think Apple plans to let OS X run on anything that came out in transparent plastic Least that's what I think. Least... they'd better. My Rev D iMac will be used by my room mate this year at College, and when Tiger comes out I BETTER be able to stick it on. There's no reason a 300Mhz G3 Yosemite (By the way did anyone else pronounce it Yose-e-might before the keynote haha never made the connection) can run Tiger while my iMac at 333Mhz couldn't.

I mean granted my 1Ghz PowerBook will be fine either way, (Core Image support for the Graphics card too yey me!) but I would rather not leave my iMac behind.

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
There's no reason a 300Mhz G3 Yosemite [...] can run Tiger while my iMac at 333Mhz couldn't.
There's more to a computer than its CPU.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 01:01 AM

When Tiger ships, all Macs without built-in FireWire will be at least four years old.

Much like when Panther shipped, all Macs without built-in USB were at least four years old.
The Macs with built-in USB had a completely redesigned architecture from the Old World Macs. There was a world of difference there, and Mac OS X 10.0 thorugh 10.2 had always been somewhat flaky on the Old World machines (i.e. machines with the old architecture, and thus no USB) anyway.

There's very little difference architecture-wise between the slot-loading iMacs that have FireWire and the ones that don't. I would guess that these requirements are temporary, unless Apple decides to start shipping OS X on DVD. I have been wrong before, though, so we'll see when it's announced.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MacPino
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 11:45 AM

This must be a developer-preview only requirement. A lot of (even recent) macs shipped without a DVD drive, even some current eMacs do. A lot of the 2001/2002 quicksilvers shipped with a cd burner and no dvd drive. Same goes for the first generation of flat-panel iMacs. Even some 2003 iBooks and the xServe (!) shipped with a cd-rom.

It's simply impossible that I would be able to install tiger on my iMac DV 400 (has FireWire and has a dvd drive) or my iBook 466 (same), and my father wouldn't be able to install it on his iMac Flat Panel that is at least twice as fast, but doesn't have a dvd-drive. Apple would never do that!

Maybe the'll sell it two ways, on a single dvd and on cd's - They might even make the dvd version a few euro/dollar cheaper because it's cheaper to produce.
proud daddy!

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 12:00 PM

Anyway, even in the worst scenario (besides a possible new version of XPostFacto), it would be possible to clone (CCC, ASR, etc.) an existing "canonic" installation to a non-supported computer: the OS X installation should still be rather "universal", probably...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2004, 01:46 PM

Repeat after me:

"Tiger exists now only as a Developer Preview. The hardware requirements for the shipping product will probably be announced at MWSF 2005."

You'll still have five months or so to complain after they're announced. Why start now? The requirements have already been finalized�just not announced�so complaining isn't going to do any good anyway.
Ok:

Happy now ?

-t

Moose
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 01:47 PM

There's very little difference architecture-wise between the slot-loading iMacs that have FireWire and the ones that don't. I would guess that these requirements are temporary, unless Apple decides to start shipping OS X on DVD. I have been wrong before, though, so we'll see when it's announced.
I'm not going to speculate as to what the actual requirements will be.

My point was more along the lines of Apple saying, "Your computer is four years old. What have you done for me lately?"

With Apple's current push of wanting to leverage the GPU more, accommodating older hardware by still doing those operations with the CPU is going to, over time, require more developer resources.

There comes a point when software needs to stop supporting older hardware. If Apple were to drop support for pre-Firewire Macs in Tiger, that would seem perfectly reasonable to me.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2004, 01:53 PM

There's more to a computer than its CPU.
Yes there's a 34Mhz difference in the system bus. And I imagine some differences on the Mobo. But I HARDLY believe Apple is willing to drop support for older machines simply because of that. There are still lots of uses for old hardware.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Yes there's a 34Mhz difference in the system bus. And I imagine some differences on the Mobo. But I HARDLY believe Apple is willing to drop support for older machines simply because of that. There are still lots of uses for old hardware.
With Apple's current push of wanting to leverage the GPU more, accommodating older hardware by still doing those operations with the CPU is going to, over time, require more developer resources.
Additionally, it's not like Panther's going to stop working on July 1, 2005.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 03:10 PM

I'm not going to speculate as to what the actual requirements will be.

My point was more along the lines of Apple saying, "Your computer is four years old. What have you done for me lately?"

There comes a point when software needs to stop supporting older hardware. If Apple were to drop support for pre-Firewire Macs in Tiger, that would seem perfectly reasonable to me.
Well, it's just that requiring a certain CPU or GPU or a certain amount of RAM or a motherboard architecture or something makes more sense. There are machines which are almost identical except for a FireWire port, and I'm having trouble thinking of a reason why FireWire should make a difference here.

Again, the machines with USB ports had the New World architecture; the USB ports were just a convenient way to tell which architecture the machines had, not really the reason the old machines were left out. I really doubt that FireWire ports will be a requirement for Tiger, but then again, who knows. It doesn't seem to make much sense to keep debating this since none of us know for sure how it will turn out. We'll see when it is announced...

Moose
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 03:17 PM

Again, the machines with USB ports had the New World architecture; the USB ports were just a convenient way to tell which architecture the machines had, not really the reason the old machines were left out.
Bingo.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 08:28 PM

Repeat after me:

You read my post different than I intended it. I wasn't trying to complain, I was just stating that my revision of iMac would be the last supported if those wound up the official requirements. Now, here is my attempt at complaining:

What, Tiger doesn't support my iMac? Apple is teh suX0r.

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 08:17 AM

holy **** the first ever dev release of Tiger is causing my powerbook g4 12" to kernel panic on bootup from the dvd. does this mean that when released next year, Tiger won't support the 12" powerbook g4?!

-justin

Moose
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Some Guy []:
holy **** the first ever dev release of Tiger is causing my powerbook g4 12" to kernel panic on bootup from the dvd. does this mean that when released next year, Tiger won't support the 12" powerbook g4?!
No. It means you're a goddamned pirate.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 08:33 AM

Swoosh!!!!

JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2004, 09:29 AM

Not necessarily; it is possible that you were at WWDC and got a legitimate copy.

Pirating dev releases is pure idiocy. Ever since Apple release the OSX Public Beta, people have somehow gotten this idea that they're entitled to developer releases.

That said, people here will do that, so I'd like to remind people of three things:
  • We will not be supporting developer releases of Tiger. Asking a support question on any versions of Tiger that have not been formally released = instant lock.
  • Whether or not you have a legitimate dev release of Tiger, do not install it on your primary machine. If you must use your primary machine (the only valid excuse for legitimate copies being that you have no other machine to install it on; there is no valid excuse for pirated copies at all), then make a separate partition and boot Tiger from that, so that you can easily revert to Panther if you need to.
  • Unless you obtained a developer copy from Apple, you are pirating it. The fact that it was not publicly released is utterly irrelevant; it is still piracy.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Moose
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Not necessarily; it is possible that you were at WWDC and got a legitimate copy.
Possible, but anybody at WWDC would have resources that are, shall we say, slightly more informed and informative than MacNN Forums.
Pirating dev releases is pure idiocy. Ever since Apple release [sic] the OSX Public Beta, people have somehow gotten this idea that they're entitled to developer releases.
Yeah. That's annoying. As moki says in another thread, the point is primarily to get the APIs in the hands of developers, not to have tons of illiterate fanboys check to see if FINDER FTP@#@!# "works" yet.
Unless you obtained a developer copy from Apple, you are pirating it. The fact that it was not publicly released is utterly irrelevant; it is still piracy.
Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

BurpetheadX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:

Pirating dev releases is pure idiocy. Ever since Apple release the OSX Public Beta, people have somehow gotten this idea that they're entitled to developer releases.[/list]
Whats wrong with pirating software Apple isn't even selling? Half of the reason it is given to developers is so they can find problems and squash bugs. People who help pirate the dev releases are only helping Apple. It's software that's given away for testing purposes, you CAN'T really pirate it, from my perspective. Just buy the final release.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by BurpetheadX:
People who help pirate the dev releases are only helping Apple. It's software that's given away for testing purposes, you CAN'T really pirate it, from my perspective.
Helping by posting whiny posts at their feedback pages?

Apple has a bug database only available to developers (for a reason).
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 11:27 AM

Whats wrong with pirating software Apple isn't even selling? Half of the reason it is given to developers is so they can find problems and squash bugs.
Care to speculate on the percentage of people who pirate pre-release Mac OS X builds and then actually report bugs using (and this is important) the proper method for doing so? I'm guessing it's in the single digits.
It's software that's given away for testing purposes, you CAN'T really pirate it, from my perspective.
Your perspective is wrong. Read the EULA of your pirated copy.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2004, 11:56 AM

Whats wrong with pirating software Apple isn't even selling?
Apple openly intends to sell a later version of this software, so it's every bit as wrong as pirating the final release.

To put it another way; what would be wrong with stealing one of J.K. Rowling's drafts of the seventh and last Harry Potter book before it went on sale? If you can answer that, you can answer this.
Half of the reason it is given to developers is so they can find problems and squash bugs. People who help pirate the dev releases are only helping Apple.
Only if they actually find problems and squash bugs. If you do this through any kind of official channel -the only way Apple will hear about it- then they'll come down on you hard for pirating their software, so -horror of horrors- you don't do it. End result: you're not helping Apple at all.
It's software that's given away for testing purposes...
If by "given away" you mean "included in a bundle costing thousands of dollars". No; this may have been sold only as part of a package, but it was sold.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 06:05 PM

It seems that taking something you are not supposed to take it the entire point of being a pirate... Well, that and "plundering booty" but I'll save that for another post. Yes you have something you are not supposed to have - that's the allure of having it. You have something first. For the same reason that people read previews of everything from movies, to upcoming sports seasons to articles on upcoming operating systems. It's pretty cool to be able to see the future first hand.

Arrrrrrrgh matey.

-stuffedm

"It is better to be a pirate, then to join the Navy." - Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules