Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Starting from Zero Part II

Starting from Zero Part II
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2009, 03:13 PM

I already went through a few reasons here. Its basically because neither HP, me nor the local Apple Reseller can get my f$€kin printer to work with my iMac. Some details here. It works with my MacBook using the same cables no problem. I have also tried different USB ports on the iMac. I have changed ink, I have done hard / soft / gentle and extra low calorie resets. Nothing has worked. And no I do not have a guarantee.

So, I want to completely wipe the internal hard drive of all operating systems/info/user prefs etc. on the iMac and then have Snow Leopard.

So, how should I do this? IIUC, I need to use the Leopard Install disks and then use Snow Leopard to upgrade. Is there no way to scrub everything with the Snow Leopard disks?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2009, 03:33 PM

You don't need to install 10.5 before installing 10.6.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2009, 04:22 PM

Unless you got the $10 Up-to-Date SL disk. If you have that one, you need install Leopard first.
Vandelay Industries

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2009, 04:46 PM

Doesn't check either AFAIK.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Doesn't check either AFAIK.
Are you sure about that? That wasn't the consensus in this thread where one guy actually tried it himself.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2009, 04:55 AM

OK cheers, I'll be forking out for the box set, hopefully have it b4 the weekend.

Matt

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009, 07:14 AM

In the case of a standard install DVD, you boot from the DVD, use Disk Utility to wipe/flatten/steamroller/etc. the existing setup on the hard drive, then reboot (maybe not "necessary" but a good idea) and let the installer go. Any documents and such you want to keep will, of course, need to be backed up elsewhere, but you knew that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Are you sure about that? That wasn't the consensus in this thread where one guy actually tried it himself.
'kay. Stopped reading that thread at some point, apparently.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
then reboot (maybe not "necessary" but a good idea) and let the installer go.
Completely unnecessary and makes no difference.
Vandelay Industries

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Any documents and such you want to keep will, of course, need to be backed up elsewhere, but you knew that.
Yeah pretty sure that I've got that covered : docs, music, pictures, movies and downloads are all copied onto another disk and the really vital stuff (photos of the kids) are also on DVD. Bookmarks and dmgs for downloaded software are also on external.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Completely unnecessary and makes no difference.
In theory it should make no difference. I'm not 100% convinced that there aren't buffers to flush, final table entries to write, etc. that a reboot, especially as fast as a Mac boots, would not at least be a neutral step. I try to always reboot after making a major change in a hard drive's structure because I don't trust everything to be completely finalized until then, whether it's due to the software or the hardware. Besides, what do you lose by rebooting after completely reformatting a hard drive? By rebooting a machine with a blank hard drive and an OS install disc in the optical drive, the installation process starts automatically...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2009, 01:28 PM

Booting from a DVD is hardly fast. There's nothing to flush or finish up. If you're talking about the boot drive, then yes I can see your logic. But we're not talking about a boot drive. Everything is done right then and there.
Vandelay Industries

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2009, 09:43 PM

Disk Utility will completely finish wiping and reformatting the drive when you tell it to? After waiting for it to say it's completed, of course...

...and of course I was not thinking about the process I was discussing being run from the optical drive. I said it, but I didn't think it... Yeah, that's where the silliness came from alright. Oops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules