Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wireless Caution: Be careful near borders

Wireless Caution: Be careful near borders
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 09:38 PM

I know this should be a blog entry, but hey cody can do it why can't I?

So I get home today to find my Rogers wireless bill. Great I thought! Read it over, NOT SO GREAT! $25 extra in roaming, long distance, cross-border calls. I called a friend from Niagara Falls Ont. CANADA to Fort Erie Ont. CANADA. What shows up on the bill? It states that I called from Buffalo NY U.S.A. to Fort Erie NY U.S.A. Doh! Long story short, I call rogers, get a very nice agent who explains that because I was so close to the border, it seems their cross border sister company cingular jumped in on the call, and charged me their rates +roaming+crossborder+longdistance etc. $0.95/minute!!!!

Anyways, they've corrected everything now and because of the mistake didn't charge me the standard roaming fee it would have showed in the first place. Just thought I'd post this to let people know what can happen if you're less than 1KM from a national borderline, and also to make sure you read your bills over carefully and not just pay them

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2006, 12:40 AM

I used my cell as a bluetooth modem for my computer off and on for three weeks, got a $5,000 bill in the mail.
ice

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2006, 12:57 AM

^ Stupid

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 01:11 AM

I almost had the reverse happen to me last year: I drove up to Toronto for a weekend, was on my way back to Buffalo and was going to make a call as soon as I crossed the border. I was just about to call when I noticed that I was still on Rogers instead of Cingular. I power-cycled it and it came back onto Cingular.

forkies
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 02:47 AM

i used my japanese vodafone service in thailand to check e-mail & was a little surprised when my bill came. but, it was worth it.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2006, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
I used my cell as a bluetooth modem for my computer off and on for three weeks, got a $5,000 bill in the mail.
All the more reason why I made sure that I never looked up info on how to do that. Quite a mess I would say.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
All the more reason why I made sure that I never looked up info on how to do that. Quite a mess I would say.

good for you. I looked it up, easy-peasy, i'm up and burnin' loot in minutes. I'll admit, I was doing it for free thru Sprint for 2 years, and upon switching to Cingular, thought they wouldn't notice. Whoops.

The lady said I had more data units(?) in a month than she'd ever seen. I got the charges removed.

Transmitting live video across the net from the passenger seat of a nitrous-powered racecar is a lot of fun!!

(edit: when the huge bill came, it was simply me browsing the web, emailing, IM, etc.. I fell asleep a few evenings with it still connected, couple of friends sent me songs, etc.. when the bill came I think I turned a shade of yellow/green.
ice

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 27, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
I know this should be a blog entry, but hey cody can do it why can't I?

So I get home today to find my Rogers wireless bill. Great I thought! Read it over, NOT SO GREAT! $25 extra in roaming, long distance, cross-border calls. I called a friend from Niagara Falls Ont. CANADA to Fort Erie Ont. CANADA. What shows up on the bill? It states that I called from Buffalo NY U.S.A. to Fort Erie NY U.S.A. Doh! Long story short, I call rogers, get a very nice agent who explains that because I was so close to the border, it seems their cross border sister company cingular jumped in on the call, and charged me their rates +roaming+crossborder+longdistance etc. $0.95/minute!!!!

Anyways, they've corrected everything now and because of the mistake didn't charge me the standard roaming fee it would have showed in the first place. Just thought I'd post this to let people know what can happen if you're less than 1KM from a national borderline, and also to make sure you read your bills over carefully and not just pay them
I've heard warnings about this for years, since it's been a big deal in Europe for a looooong time. Always set your phone to not roam when near borders.

tooki

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 11:15 AM

I can see how this would be a problem. When I am in Niagara falls it sometimes picks up a US carrier signal and I have to be careful not to use the phone if I don't want to get charged.

To be fair there is only about .5 KM separating the US/Canada so I don't think they can be that careful with tower placement.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
I've heard warnings about this for years, since it's been a big deal in Europe for a looooong time. Always set your phone to not roam when near borders.

tooki
I can't say that it bothers me. Reception of your home network goes pretty far into the other country, well far enough to know that you're in another country. Quite possible that when you live on the border that you sometimes pick up another network when you power up your phone though.

Doesn't really matter anyway, roaming isn't that expensive here IMO. I read in the paper a few weeks ago that they are planning on forbidding roaming costs by European law in 2007. Calling in another country will cost the same as in your home country.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 12:05 PM

Don't you get those "Welcome to <new country>! You are now using <foreign carrier>."-SMS when you cross country borders? I get those in Europe (I'm on O₂).

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Don't you get those "Welcome to <new country>! You are now using <foreign carrier>."-SMS when you cross country borders? I get those in Europe (I'm on O₂).
I do when I went from the Dominican from Canada but not from Canada to the US.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2006, 12:17 PM

Ive got a Verizon phone with the unlimited data package that im useing as a bluetooth modem. Havent seen the bill yet since i just got it all this week, but im hoping it wont be $5000 like the other person. Im on the same package as anyone that has their AirCard pccards, but useing my LG VX8100 as a bluetooth modem since a 12'' Powerbook doesnt have a PCCard slot. They told me it was going to be $59.99/month for the data, and $39.99/month for the voice part of the plan. As with any cellphone company, im expecting to see some huge out of this world bill.

And im typing this from my granddads 18wheeler, wile setting in the Port of Charleston, waiting for them to let us go load 2 forklifts.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2006, 12:53 PM

After witnessing a car accident, I picked up my cell and called 911. Operator was VERY confused, as was I. The tower that picked me up was in Canada, she had no idea what roads I was talking about. She patched me thru to MY side of the river and even stayed on the line with me and the Detroit operator to make sure everyone had the right information.

Forum Links
Forum Rules